The Student Room Group

My date showed up on a bicycle in central London

Hi,

I am trying to not be shallow here but my date literally turned up on a bicycle. It made me feel uncomfrtoable, because it gave me a feeling like he was still a boy. I am a 26 woman wanting a serious relationship. He chained up his bike and then we walked to the place we planned to go to.

I am not sure how to feel about this because he is so lovely...
I asked him if he drives, but he doesn't have a licence.

Should I see him again, I have never been in this situation before?

Please be helpful! Thank you
Reply 1
Quite a few managers at my place ride in on bikes - despite many of them having cars I think they're flexing about how fit and healthy they are... so it's not universally regarded as low status - though it is IMO pretty unsexy for turning up on dates.

TBH running a car in central London probably doesn't make a lot of sense - though you're cutting yourself off from being able to do some things if you don't even have a driving licence. e.g. If you've got a driving licence you could rent a car and go for a short break in the lake district or something... that'd be a real pain to do by public transport (or bicycle)
Your dating pool in central London is going to be remarkably shallow if this is a deal breaker for you.
Reply 3
please tell me this is a troll...
Reply 4
Jesus, you can't be serious. If this guy is real then he deserves someone better than you.
Original post by black tea
please tell me this is a troll...

Nah, some UK women really are that abysmally snobby. It's why so few guys have relationships in the UK as some UK girls are so ridiculously finicky about any little thing starting with breathing and working through just about everything 🙄
Reply 6
I think he should move on. Riding a bike in Central London is more practical than driving a car. Outside Central it would make more sense. Just be more open about it and see how it goes. Maybe in the future he will get his licence.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

I am trying to not be shallow here but my date literally turned up on a bicycle. It made me feel uncomfrtoable, because it gave me a feeling like he was still a boy. I am a 26 woman wanting a serious relationship. He chained up his bike and then we walked to the place we planned to go to.

these ppl are tsaking ur question wayyy too srsly. this lowkey made me laugh tho
Original post by Admit-One
Your dating pool in central London is going to be remarkably shallow if this is a deal breaker for you.

Or any city south of Nottingham! :laugh:
Always trust your gut instinct and stick to your dealbreakers. :smile:

If you have a no bikes or motorcycles dealbreaker, he's incompatible and not the right guy for you to be dating.
If you want to date the guys who rely upon cars or public transport, that's fine.
Good luck!
Reply 10
I don't want to sound rude, but if him not having a car is a major turn off for you, you should leave him for his sake, it seems he deserves a better girl.

Do you have a license? I mean, if you need to drive somewhere you can drive. I do that a lot, most of my dates don't have a car, because it is a waste of time in Tel-Aviv (I guess central London is even worse) I only drive to work or at weekends. Even for work I sometimes prefer public transportation.
If me and my date want to go somewhere for a date I have no problem to drive or order a taxi (in case we are going to drink for example). I don't see why should not having a license be a major turn off.
Original post by Kathy89
I don't want to sound rude, but if him not having a car is a major turn off for you, you should leave him for his sake, it seems he deserves a better girl.

Do you have a license? I mean, if you need to drive somewhere you can drive. I do that a lot, most of my dates don't have a car, because it is a waste of time in Tel-Aviv (I guess central London is even worse) I only drive to work or at weekends. Even for work I sometimes prefer public transportation.
If me and my date want to go somewhere for a date I have no problem to drive or order a taxi (in case we are going to drink for example). I don't see why should not having a license be a major turn off.

"I don't see why should not having a license be a major turn off."

Not having a driving licence or even wanting to own a motor vehicle for personal transport can often be a warning sign of obviously incompatible lifestyle preferences and a massive turn off.

Within Britain there are quite a few people that won't drive or apply for driving licences due to ideological hostility or maintaining close links with disruptive fringe environmental activists.
Frequently including a ban on the regular driving of cars & vans, ambulances, riding motorcycles, using taxis and other private hire vehicles due to ultra-traditionalist interpretations of religion that are fiercely opposed to 'the heresy of modernism' or highly uncompromising environmental activist militants that go far beyond car-free movement ideals.

The rhetoric can be quite disturbing and accompanied by very aggressive rants describing car use along with commercial plane flights as "eco-terrorism".
A small number of the most aggressive are in the habit of attacking motor show vehicles and privately owned cars that are chelsea tractors, land rovers or perceived as "gas guzzlers".
Even tesla electric cars have been targeted.
With a few crank groups responsible claiming that "Hybrids and electric cars are fair game. "We cannot electrify our way out of the climate crisis".

Whenever I hear people talking about how hostile they are about regular car use or any aggressive rhetoric opposing car ownership, it is a turn-off.
Never mind the religious fanatics like my grandmother who proudly reject so much of the mainstream modern world as evil.
Including the telephone, electricity, secular sweets, painkillers and vaccines.
Reply 12
Original post by londonmyst

Not having a driving licence or even wanting to own a motor vehicle for personal transport can often be a warning sign of obviously incompatible lifestyle preferences and a massive turn off.

Within Britain there are quite a few people that won't drive or apply for driving licences due to ideological hostility or maintaining close links with disruptive fringe environmental activists.
Frequently including a ban on the regular driving of cars & vans, ambulances, riding motorcycles, using taxis and other private hire vehicles due to ultra-traditionalist interpretations of religion that are fiercely opposed to 'the heresy of modernism' or highly uncompromising environmental activist militants that go far beyond car-free movement ideals.

The rhetoric can be quite disturbing and accompanied by very aggressive rants describing car use along with commercial plane flights as "eco-terrorism".
A small number of the most aggressive are in the habit of attacking motor show vehicles and privately owned cars that are chelsea tractors, land rovers or perceived as "gas guzzlers".
With a few crank groups responsible claiming that "Hybrids and electric cars are fair game. "We cannot electrify our way out of the climate crisis".

Whenever I hear people talking about how hostile they are about regular car use or any aggressive rhetoric opposing car ownership, it is a turn-off.
Never mind the religious fanatics like my grandmother who proudly reject so much of the mainstream modern world as evil.

I was thinking more about not having time or desire to learn to drive, but you do have a point...
Original post by londonmyst

How have you made the jump from not having a driving licence in a place like central London where a car in not necessary to "ideological hostility" and eco-terrorism?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

Do you have a driving licence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending