The Student Room Group

The GCSE to AS German bridging summer class '13 *Last Edited 29th July*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
ah. in Sie besucht ihren Großvater, you use ihr because besuchen takes the dative case. As 'She' has to go somewhere to see her granddad.

Actually, octipus's explanation seems to make more sense :/
The masculine dative is ihrem! (Don't worry, I make mistakes like that late at night too. Actually, that's not true- I make worse mistakes.:biggrin:)

Hmm, were you thinking of something like Sie macht einen Besuch bei ihrem Großvater? It's dative then, because of the bei. My dictionary shows besuchen as accusative otherwise.
Reply 81
Original post by Octopus_Garden
The masculine dative is ihrem! (Don't worry, I make mistakes like that late at night too. Actually, that's not true- I make worse mistakes.:biggrin:)

Hmm, were you thinking of something like Sie macht einen Besuch bei ihrem Großvater? It's dative then, because of the bei. My dictionary shows besuchen as accusative otherwise.

So because Großvater is masculine you add the dative masculine ending of ein, -em, to the possesive stem of her, ihr? If thats right then whats with bei​?
Original post by Gilo98
So because Großvater is masculine you add the dative masculine ending of ein, -em, to the possesive stem of her, ihr? If thats right then whats with bei​?
You were nearly right!

Besuchen is a fairly normal verb, and it takes the accusative. If I want to say I am visiting my grandfather, it’s just like saying Ich trinke eine Tasse Tee, with accusative endings.

Example sentences from my dictionary: In den Ferien besuchte er seine Großmutter; einen Freund oder einen Verwandten besuchen; einen Kranken im Krankenhaus besuchen.

So you actually add the accusative masculine ending –en to ihr, because Großvater is masculine, and you use ihr (because he’s her grandfather), as you thought.

However, if I want to say I’m making a visit to my grandfather’s house then I say ich mache einen Besuch bei meinem Großvater. The visit is the direct object or the thing being done, so that has an article in the accusative.

The complex issue here is bei. Bei is a preposition that always takes the dative (if a declinable word follows it). It means a few things, but the sense here is at the house of. For example, if I wanted to say I’m staying at home, I might say ich bleibe bei mir.
Good thing I'm taking GCSE then ey ><
Reply 84
You were nearly right!

Besuchen is a fairly normal verb, and it takes the accusative. If I want to say I am visiting my grandfather, it’s just like saying Ich trinke eine Tasse Tee, with accusative endings.

Example sentences from my dictionary: In den Ferien besuchte er seine Großmutter; einen Freund oder einen Verwandten besuchen; einen Kranken im Krankenhaus besuchen.

So you actually add the accusative masculine ending –en to ihr, because Großvater is masculine, and you use ihr (because he’s her grandfather), as you thought.

However, if I want to say I’m making a visit to my grandfather’s house then I say ich mache einen Besuch bei meinem Großvater. The visit is the direct object or the thing being done, so that has an article in the accusative.

The complex issue here is bei. Bei is a preposition that always takes the dative (if a declinable word follows it). It means a few things, but the sense here is at the house of. For example, if I wanted to say I’m staying at home, I might say ich bleibe bei mir.

Ahh ok but are you just using bei to screw with us or is it completely necessary? :tongue:
Original post by Gilo98
Ahh ok but are you just using bei to screw with us or is it completely necessary? :tongue:
Well, this particular use just came up in conversation!

It's completely necessary in that sentence (I'm making a visit to my grandfather=ich mache einen Besuch bei meinem Grossvater), but you could just carry on saying ich besuche meine Tante/meinen Opa/meinen Grossvater for the next few months. They're equally valid.

Of course, when it comes to your GCSE controlled assessments, you need to insert as many complicated structures as possible, just to demonstrate you know them. As it happens, I do remember jamming in bei for mine!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86
Well, this particular use just came up in conversation!

It's completely in that sentence (I'm making a visit to my grandfather=ich mache einen Besuch bei meinem Grossvater), but you could just carry on saying ich besuche meine Tante/meinen Opa/meinen Grossvater for the next few months. They're equally valid.

Of course, when it comes to your GCSE controlled assessments, you need to insert as many complicated structures as possible, just to demonstrate you know them. As it happens, I do remember jamming in bei for mine!

Okedokey havnt got any reps left but will do at some time tomorrow :biggrin:
[Post reservation for later use]
Thatitootoo no understand :frown: but

1) Sonic der irre Igel sammelt die Ringen (Ring, m)
2) Der Dichter nimmt Drogen. (Dichter, m)
3) Die Katze öffnet das Fenster (Fenster, n)
4) Der Lehrer halt das Buch, n)
5) Ich brauche den Kuli (Kuli ,m)
6) Die Maus reitet den Hund (Hund, m)
7) Das Kaninchen isst sein Essen. (Kaninchen, n)
8) Er liebt die Kellnerin. (Kellnerin, f)
1) He is reading the newspaper.
Er liest die Zeitung.
2) The boy sees her.
Der Junge sieht das Maedchen :tongue: (sie)
3) I’m buying this book.
Ich kaufe dieses Buch.
4) Mr Schmidt, can you help me please?
Herr Schmidt, können Sie mir helfen, bitte?
5) John and Janet, my sister hates you.
John und Janet, meine Schwester hast ihr. / meine Schwester mag ihr nicht.
6) She wears a beautiful pearl necklace.
Sie trägt eine schöne Perlenkette.
7) Etta, do you have to buy another umbrella?
Etta, musst du noch einen (anderen) Regenschirm kaufen?
8) Can you see him?
Kannst du ihn sehen?
9) I find the library card./ I have found the library card.
Ich finde den Leserausweis. / Ich habe den Leserausweis gefunden.
10) The cat likes me.
Die Katze mag mich.
(edited 10 years ago)
1) Sonic der irre Igel sammelt einen Ring (Ring, m)
2) Ein Dichter nimmt Drogen. (Dichter, m) (sounds like a fact!)
3) Die Katze öffnet ein kleines.(Fenster, n) (I can even do neuter/feminine adjectives :wink:
4) Der Lehrer hält ein Buch. (Buch, n)
5) Ich brauche einen Kuli. (Kuli ,m)
6) Die Maus reitet einen Hund.(Hund, m)
7) Ein Kaninchen isst sein Essen. (Kaninchen, n)
8) Er liebt eine huebsche Kelnerin. (Kellnerin, f)
A brief reminder of perfect tense formation.

(die Sportlerin ist schnell gelaufen).

ist oder hat? Wenn ich das gut verstehen habe! :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
1) Sonic der irre Igel sammelt einen Ring (Ring, m)

Sonic der irre Igel sammelt gern schoene Ringe!
oder
Sonic der irre Igel bekommt einen Ring.
:wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Sonic der irre Igel sammelt gern schoene Ringe!
oder
Sonic der irre Igel bekommt einen Ring.
:wink:

180px-SonicgeheimeRinge.jpg
Hattest du dich mal gefragt wer dieser blaue Igel Sonic ist, der in vielerlei SEGA Spielen rumrennt, um goldene Ringe zu sammeln und um seine Freunde zu retten?
http://de.sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonictionary

ist oder hat? Wenn ich das gut verstehen habe! :wink:
I don't see the problem. Laufen is an intransitive verb like schwimmen.

She ran fast. There doesn't need to be a dorthin.

Hey, even Martin Durrell has used the same sentence to illustrate this grammar point! http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=83uNJHw7aM8C&pg=PA231&dq=sie+ist+schnell+gelaufen&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ypjuUZLqD9LM0AWbnYCQDg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=sie%20ist%20schnell%20gelaufen&f=false
Using German: A Guide to Contemporary Usage, page 231
(edited 10 years ago)
First update for ages made.
Reply 95
First update for ages made.

Yay!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending