The Student Room Group

Leeds,Swansea,Herts, Sheffield, Surrey,Loughborough or Brunel Uni for Aerospace Engg

I have applied at Leeds,Swansea, Hertfordshire, Loughborough, Sheffield, Surrey and Brunel.

I have listed some data here:

Swansea: MEng 40% working with 50% further studying the highest I have seen. Why 50% of them need to further study after doing Masters is beyond me, with 10% unemployed. In BEng 15% working.

Sheffield: 15% unemployed with 70% working in Meng.

Hertfordshire: Employability rate is good but student satisfaction not so.
MEng 90% working 5 % unemployed.
BEng 65% working, 15% unemployed.

Loughborough: 81% BEng working MEng 90% working 5 % unemployed.

Surrey: MEng only 4% unemployed but 26% further study and 68% working.

Leeds: MEng, BEng together: 10% unemployed, 60% working 20% studying 10% nothing.

Brunel: BEng 75% working 5% unemployed MEng: 75% working 5% unemployed

I like Leeds since it has the best student satisfaction in the country in Aerospace Engineering but its employment rate is a concern (60% working, 10% unemployed).

Comparing the aerospace degree between them Loughborough seems to have the best graduate employment rate( 90% MEng, 81% BEng,5% unemployed), 2nd comes surprisingly Hertfordshire (MEng 90%, BEng 65%,5% unemployed), not sure why, shouldn't it be Sheffield, it being highly prestigious but it has shockingly high unemployment rate of 15%. Wondering whats wrong with 15% of Sheffield graduates not getting jobs !!!

Anyway I do need help deciding between these universities for Aerospace Engineering course (haven't yet decided between BEng or MEng). Will that make a difference ? Does uni matters when it comes to job ? Or result is what employers look ? Also in which uni I have more chance of securing placement opportunities ?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by zaback21
I have applied at Leeds,Swansea, Hertfordshire, Loughborough, Sheffield, Surrey and Brunel.

I have listed some data here:

Swansea: MEng 40% working with 50% further studying the highest I have seen. Why 50% of them need to further study after doing Masters is beyond me, with 10% unemployed. In BEng 15% working.

Sheffield: 15% unemployed with 70% working in Meng.

Hertfordshire: Employability rate is good but student satisfaction not so.
MEng 90% working 5 % unemployed.
BEng 65% working, 15% unemployed.

Loughborough: 81% BEng working MEng 90% working 5 % unemployed.

Surrey: MEng only 4% unemployed but 26% further study and 68% working.

Leeds: MEng, BEng together: 10% unemployed, 60% working 20% studying 10% nothing.

Brunel: BEng 75% working 5% unemployed MEng: 75% working 5% unemployed

I like Leeds since it has the best student satisfaction in the country in Aerospace Engineering but its employment rate is a concern (60% working, 10% unemployed).

Comparing the aerospace degree between them Loughborough seems to have the best graduate employment rate( 90% MEng, 81% BEng,5% unemployed), 2nd comes surprisingly Hertfordshire (MEng 90%, BEng 65%,5% unemployed), not sure why, shouldn't it be Sheffield, it being highly prestigious but it has shockingly high unemployment rate of 15%. Wondering whats wrong with 15% of Sheffield graduates not getting jobs !!!

Anyway I do need help deciding between these universities for Aerospace Engineering course (haven't yet decided between BEng or MEng). Will that make a difference ? Does uni matters when it comes to job ? Or result is what employers look ? Also in which uni I have more chance of securing placement opportunities ?

Thanks in advance.

Go to open days and see which place you like best. You have to thoroughly understand that just because a university has X prestige doesnt mean going to one will automatically get you a job if you have this mentallity then it must change because jobs are really tough to get out there, your university name wont do anything for you other than give you personal satisfaction. Many things are taken into consideration wen looking for jobs including ur perfomance is tests/interviews etc.
Reply 2
Original post by a10
Go to open days and see which place you like best. You have to thoroughly understand that just because a university has X prestige doesnt mean going to one will automatically get you a job if you have this mentallity then it must change because jobs are really tough to get out there, your university name wont do anything for you other than give you personal satisfaction. Many things are taken into consideration wen looking for jobs including ur perfomance is tests/interviews etc.

I cannot attend open days, since I am an international student. But its interesting to hear the opinion that uni doesn't matter when it comes to job.If that's the case I better pay 11K for Herts than 17K for Leeds or Loughborough.

And I don't have the mentality that I will get a job because I am in a prestigious uni. But the case that it might give one a little bit of edge when it comes to job. Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by zaback21
I cannot attend open days, since I am an international student. But its interesting to hear the opinion that uni doesn't matter when it comes to job.If that's the case I better pay 11K for Herts than 17K for Leeds or Loughborough.

And I don't have the mentality that I will get a job because I am in a prestigious uni. But the case that it might give one a little bit of edge when it comes to job. Thanks.

It depends with the university and the course, going to a slightly better university means you will have access to industry links that the university has built over time but this doesn't make it any easier as u will still have to apply like everyone else go through tests/interviews however you may be in a better position to get assistance with some of the stages. Use uni stats to get accurate course statistics and look at the degree course in detail see which one you like best and then you can pick your top two choices!

From my knowledge; Herts has a good reputation for aerospace and so does Loughborough!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by a10
It depends with the university and the course, going to a slightly better university means you will have access to industry links that the university has built over time but this doesn't make it any easier as u will still have to apply like everyone else go through tests/interviews however you may be in a better position to get assistance with some of the stages. Use uni stats to get accurate course statistics and look at the degree course in detail see which one you like best and then you can pick your top two choices!

From my knowledge; Herts has a good reputation for aerospace and so does Loughborough!

Thanks for your great insight and helpful information.Anyway which uni and course you are in or yet to attend one ?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest