The Student Room Group

I need some advice from a Law student about buying Law books.

I'm starting my second year of uni this september and I just wanted to ask, is it a good idea to buy second hand law books. I've been told by lectures to only buy the up-to-date law books but I'm across a lot of people who have bought second hand books from students a yer above us and they seem to do perfectly fine in the exams...getting 1st's.

These books are expensive so I am considering buying the books second hand....what do you all think...is it a good idea or shall I just buy the up-to-date books?
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Original post by ********
I'm starting my second year of uni this september and I just wanted to ask, is it a good idea to buy second hand law books. I've been told by lectures to only buy the up-to-date law books but I'm across a lot of people who have bought second hand books from students a yer above us and they seem to do perfectly fine in the exams...getting 1st's.

These books are expensive so I am considering buying the books second hand....what do you all think...is it a good idea or shall I just buy the up-to-date books?

Buying the new books costs an arm and a leg, but you'll at least have the up to date laws within them. Before buying the books you could look at laws in that area to see if there has been any major changes. If not, then it'd probably be OK to get the year before's book, but I wouldn't get anything earlier than that.

You can always buy the up-to-date books yourself, and then sell them once you're finished with them. Or, you could buy the Kindle/iPad version, which is often much cheaper than buying the actual book.
I think you probably need up-to-date textbooks but if you want to use second-hand casebooks that's fine because the judgments don't change.

Edit: also your university should offer bursary schemes if you're struggling to buy textbooks.
So far I've lived on mostly all second hand books, and they haven't let me down! The only issue I had was the most up to date information on E-Conveyancing in Land Law. I don't see the point in buying new books, if there are one or two new cases you can always read them outside of the book..
Reply 5
It depends. One year off it shouldn't be too bad. But take for example IP law, only relying on Bently (2009) won't cut it, you'd need a new book (2013) e.g. Waelde. It also depends which subject it is.
Jurisprudence - old editions are fine
Legal methods - old editions are fine (why does this module even exist)
You could also rely on articles (always being published) or borrow books from your library and print off the relevant pages/chapters! Some universities( like mine =p) actually provide their students with electronic copies of certain highly relevant chapters :smile:
go on gumtree, people sell up to date law books for pennies
Land law is not a subject that changes frequently. If there are any recent key cases on the topics you cover on your course you will probably find that your lecturer will draw them to your attention in classes anyway. Some law publishers offer a on-line resources which provide updates. Look on the publishers' websites.The only problem you may find is that the chapter references and/or page numbers may differ slightly from edition to edition so references on your module reading list might by out of sync.
Reply 8
Original post by Knalchemist
Buying the new books costs an arm and a leg, but you'll at least have the up to date laws within them. Before buying the books you could look at laws in that area to see if there has been any major changes. If not, then it'd probably be OK to get the year before's book, but I wouldn't get anything earlier than that.

You can always buy the up-to-date books yourself, and then sell them once you're finished with them. Or, you could buy the Kindle/iPad version, which is often much cheaper than buying the actual book.

I second this ! Check out the secondhand books first, see if anything major has changed and if not, then i'm sure they'd be fine. If you say other people at your uni are doing great with secondhand books then that's reassuring =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending