The Student Room Group

How do I revise efficiently?

Summer holidays are almost over, I've been trying to study ALL of my law books and I've realised I dont fully remember anything when I look back at the questions I did. What are other tips and tricks I can do to study better? This is my last year of college and I'm afraid my Paper 1 will not be as perfect i'd expect it to be.
Original post by onlyjen.
Summer holidays are almost over, I've been trying to study ALL of my law books and I've realised I dont fully remember anything when I look back at the questions I did. What are other tips and tricks I can do to study better? This is my last year of college and I'm afraid my Paper 1 will not be as perfect i'd expect it to be.

Revision techniques with active recall are best such as using flashcards or doing past papers. I don't do law so I'm not sure what kind of subject it is, but for more essay based subjects I like to use mind maps, flashcards and past papers and for other subjects I tend to use flashcards and practise questions. I'm not sure if this will help, please feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Hey @onlyjen. :smile:

It's great to hear that you've been trying to prepare yourself and revise through summer. It can be hard retaining all the information, you're not alone in that! You could try mind maps if you're a more visual learner, using online note-taking apps if that helps things look a bit neater/clearer such as Notion and OneNote. Quizlet was a fun one for me, as it lets you create flashcards and quizzes to help with memorising important things. Then as a side note, some useful apps you could try to help with productivity is Forest whereby you avoid distractions by planting a virtual tree.

I'm sorry I couldn't be specific to law, but hopefully some law students come on here and offer some good advice for you :smile:

Best of luck with the rest of your studies, believe in yourself and your capabilities. You got this!

Becky
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Revision techniques with active recall are best such as using flashcards or doing past papers. I don't do law so I'm not sure what kind of subject it is, but for more essay based subjects I like to use mind maps, flashcards and past papers and for other subjects I tend to use flashcards and practise questions. I'm not sure if this will help, please feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Thank you! I will try out flashcards for cases & precedent and practice more questions :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey @onlyjen. :smile:

It's great to hear that you've been trying to prepare yourself and review through summer. It can be hard retaining all the information, you're not alone in that! You could try mind maps if you're a more visual learner, using online note-taking apps if that helps things look a bit neater/clearer such as Notion and OneNote. Quizlet was a fun one for me, as it lets you create flashcards and quizzes to help with memorising important things. Then as a side note, some useful apps you could try to help with productivity is Forest whereby you avoid distractions by planting a virtual tree.

I'm sorry I couldn't be specific to law, but hopefully some law students come on here and offer some good advice for you :smile:

Best of luck with the rest of your studies, believe in yourself and your capabilities. You got this!

Becky

Thanks for the positivity :smile: I will be trying out the things you've said & creating more mind-maps.

For me, I buy one of those monthly planners from Amazon and use sticky notes to know what I need to study/cover each day. Breaking it down into sections really helps to ensure everything is covered, and I can move things around if I think I need to go over any certain bits. I also stick postcards on my bathroom mirror so I can go over key bits first thing.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
For me, I buy one of those monthly planners from Amazon and use sticky notes to know what I need to study/cover each day. Breaking it down into sections really helps to ensure everything is covered, and I can move things around if I think I need to go over any certain bits. I also stick postcards on my bathroom mirror so I can go over key bits first thing.

Thank you, I'll also try this out!

Quick Reply

Latest