The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You cant download using PORT 80, only HTTP traffic is allowed, and header is checked so when you get there bittorrent wont work.

for FTP you need port 21 open otherwise you will go to passive mode and also without port 21 being open, you cant access FTP servers.

I just hope they listen to students.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 21
Hello,

what about skype? Have you checked if its working?
I am an international student and it would be the perfect solution for calling
family and friends abroad.
Heck - what about my phone! My poor internet phone :frown:
I was told somewhere that skype doesn't work at all, but they allow other methods of internet calling
Hah, I'm so~ going to bitch if my Tesco internet phone doesn't work - i can't afford international rates to get hold of my parents, especially the way they are on the phone :|
Reply 25
Skype is the best solution for international students
calling family and friends abroad.
I bought 10euros credit to test it for this reason today.
It costs 0.017euros/min when you call eu and usa numbers, I believe.

It will be a disappointment if skype is blocked. Especially when you
are a student living in halls and not having a land line.
You depend on your mobile tariff.
Reply 26
If skype doesn't work i'm gonna be really pissed! I use it everyday, I may be forced to get wireless internet connection instead, maybe it would be better since it's a laptop. Also can you download file sharing programs like Limewire...etc?
TopShopper_girl
If skype doesn't work i'm gonna be really pissed! I use it everyday, I may be forced to get wireless internet connection instead, maybe it would be better since it's a laptop. Also can you download file sharing programs like Limewire...etc?

No I think they block the ports :frown: :frown: :frown:
ziko2
Skype is the best solution for international students
calling family and friends abroad.
I bought 10euros credit to test it for this reason today.
It costs 0.017euros/min when you call eu and usa numbers, I believe.

Tesco Internet phone is completely free, even if you call the moon! You just have to have one at each end! I'ts also pretty cheap to phone cell phones (approx. 10p ATAN / min) and 2p/min for british landline.

Grrrr...!
Reply 29
NO MORE CS:s-smilie:???? i want my counter strike! they got wireless internet there? or am i gonna have to wire my computer more? as if the mains plugs dont annoy me already.
Reply 30
The Internet is really quite dodgy in halls. When I was in halls last year it was amazing. I went from having crap at home to downloading 80mb in 5 minutes. However, there was a period when everyone had a laptop/pc or something to connect to the net, and I think around 90% were using it during peak times (evening/night) It effed-up.

So now people are limited, but not too bad. I'm not in halls now so I wouldn't know, but when I left in May -

port 80 (http/web) works fine, okay rate (100kbps for most downloads, you can use a few accellerators to push this to 200kbps) - but it's limited now, used to be much faster.

FTP worked fine for me. I used SmartFTP, worked well.

Skype is blocked. :frown: May have changed, but didn't work for me.
Google Talked worked fine when I was there, but not sure about it now.

MSN is fine, YIM too. MSN Audio/webcam also doesn't work.

Shell/Telnet is blocked.

However, if you're a multimedia student (or not, just go!) go to a multimedia lab and you've got amazing speeds! Just hide in the back :wink:

NET at brunel is pants. Not much is filtered, but when it is, it's annoying. We're all over 18, so I don't understand it.

Be prepared for some slowdown, especially during revision periods!
Reply 31
so not counter strike?
Reply 32
You can try it, but I'm not so sure, doubt it though.
Reply 33
Hey,

I was wondering if windows critical updates are considered to be port 80
http traffic.

And what about antivirus software, I don't think that norton automatic
update is port 80 http traffic either. And I think that I have read somewhere that we have to use antivirus software when connecting to the uni network.
Reply 34
I was using skype in halls last year. I couldn't download it while connected in halls so I took my laptop and downloaded it at a mates house.
It was working fine though, talked to my family and friends abroad loads so hopefully you guys won't have any problems either!
Just found out what Skype is. How come I didn't know about this earlier I could've saved myself a fortune
Reply 36
No, counter-strike doesn't work, sorry. Think of a game, pretty much any game you could possibly think of... and I can almost garuntee you it won't work online. Or at least, that's how it was last year. It was this time that my taste for alcoholic beverages grew... and grew... and grew :P.

Yeah, the net is pretty crap at brunel, but it's not the end of the world.
Sounds like i'm actually going to have to go and get a life then!
If there is a port into our room, do we need to bring a wire to hardwire our pcs to it, or is it all wireless?
Reply 39
bigdave0245
If there is a port into our room, do we need to bring a wire to hardwire our pcs to it, or is it all wireless?

Not sure about the newer halls, but Galbraith, Mill, etc all have ports that need to be wired to your ethernet socket on your pc/laptop.

Latest

Trending

Trending