The Student Room Group

GCSE Needed?

Ive just been looking at Leeds University for the entry requirement for Economics and Mathematics Bsc for 2014. They want AAB at A-level which is fair enough but you must also have GCSE english at grade B.

I only got a C at GCSE english could i still receive an offer? Is it worth applying for?

I did take English Language and English Literature and got a C for both, could that make a difference?
Reply 1
Original post by jckh12
Ive just been looking at Leeds University for the entry requirement for Economics and Mathematics Bsc for 2014. They want AAB at A-level which is fair enough but you must also have GCSE english at grade B.

I only got a C at GCSE english could i still receive an offer? Is it worth applying for?

I did take English Language and English Literature and got a C for both, could that make a difference?

When my daughter was applying for Leeds for a different subject they said at the open day that their first method of weeding out applications was to reject people who did not meet the GCSE requirements

Perhaps that is not the same for every subject
Reply 2
If you don't meet the requirements then normally your application would be unsuccessful. Often grades are just used as a quick way to filter people out without looking at the rest of the application.

However, in some cases if the rest of your application is strong, part of your conditional offer may be to retake and improve on your GCSE grade or take some other equivalent test.

It will depend on the university and the subject. You could contact universities you are interested in. You will get a more definite answer this way.
Original post by TenOfThem
When my daughter was applying for Leeds for a different subject they said at the open day that their first method of weeding out applications was to reject people who did not meet the GCSE requirements

Perhaps that is not the same for every subject

I think it is. I attended a careers advisors' talk at Leeds and they said the same thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending