The Student Room Group

Will medical schools accept me??? HELP

hello, I’m a 1st year student in collage, i need advise ASAP, so I want to apply to medicine but here are my GCSE grades are ALL 6s expect science which is 7-6 should I resist them? It is expensive so I wanted advice. My A levels are going really well it’s just my GCSE that will bring me down. If I do really well in my UCAT and have good A levels would I have a chance? And which unis should I be thinking about?
i have similar gcses im not going to resit
Theres around 10 med schools I can apply for you just Need to not apply to gcse heavy schools if u choose to resit to really Make any difference you Need around 4 more grade 7s so Idk if u wanna do that plus some schools have policies regarding resits as Well

For example you wouldnt be able to apply to kcl as they score gcses but you could apply for imperial for example
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by cocoroses123
hello, I’m a 1st year student in collage, i need advise ASAP, so I want to apply to medicine but here are my GCSE grades are ALL 6s expect science which is 7-6 should I resist them? It is expensive so I wanted advice. My A levels are going really well it’s just my GCSE that will bring me down. If I do really well in my UCAT and have good A levels would I have a chance? And which unis should I be thinking about?

Just apply to medical schools with minimum GCSE requirements (e.g. Imperial, UCL) and avoid those that are GCSE heavy and score GCSEs as part of shortlisting (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff).

For the ones with minimum requirements they just check you meet the minimums and if you do they tick that box and move on -exceeding those requirements won't get you "bonus points" at those unis.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger

Just apply to medical schools with minimum GCSE requirements (e.g. Imperial, UCL) and avoid those that are GCSE heavy and score GCSEs as part of shortlisting (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff).

For the ones with minimum requirements they just check you meet the minimums and if you do they tick that box and move on -exceeding those requirements won't get you "bonus points" at those unis.

Thank you! So like for some unis they won’t add extra points if your predicted A*
Thank you! So like for some unis they won’t add extra points if your predicted A*

No unis but exeter and barts(which u cant apply for) do that really
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lilysilly_5454
No unis but exeter and barts(which u cant apply for) do that really

And Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh :smile:

I meant just in terms of GCSE requirements for unis with inky minimum requirements. E.g. at Imperial whether you have a 6 in GCSE English language or a 9 it doesn't make a difference as you've ticked that box
Reply 7

I meant just in terms of GCSE requirements for unis with inky minimum requirements. E.g. at Imperial whether you have a 6 in GCSE English language or a 9 it doesn't make a difference as you've ticked that box

Does it go same with Manchester who require grade 7 in 7 GCSEs
Does it go same with Manchester who require grade 7 in 7 GCSEs

Do they state they score GCSEs and are there higher scores for 8/9 grades? If not I would presume not. Medical schools in general are very transparent about their requirements and how they assess applicants.
Reply 9

Do they state they score GCSEs and are there higher scores for 8/9 grades? If not I would presume not. Medical schools in general are very transparent about their requirements and how they assess applicants.

Oh ok thanks I’ll check
Oh ok thanks I’ll check

for manchester you only need 7 grade 7s and above and you can apply they dont score them if you are contextual you can apply with 6 grade 7s and above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending