The Student Room Group

Transferring to the UK from the US

Hi,
I'm currently in my third year of University in the US and I have found myself in a situation where I have to move back to England, where I'm originally from. I was told that the credits from my university would not transfer over to a British university. I have the intention of finishing my education in England, but I'm unsure of where I would have to start from. I moved to America in the middle of primary school and finished my education in the US so I have a limited idea on how the school system in the UK works. Would I have to go back and take A-levels and start from there or would I be able to get into a university with just an American advanced high school diploma?

Thank you for your time.
Reply 1
Original post by BillieBusari
Hi,
I'm currently in my third year of University in the US and I have found myself in a situation where I have to move back to England, where I'm originally from. I was told that the credits from my university would not transfer over to a British university. I have the intention of finishing my education in England, but I'm unsure of where I would have to start from. I moved to America in the middle of primary school and finished my education in the US so I have a limited idea on how the school system in the UK works. Would I have to go back and take A-levels and start from there or would I be able to get into a university with just an American advanced high school diploma?

Thank you for your time.

Some universities will let you enter from different points, you definitely won't need a levels. They may admit you into the 2nd year? Definitely first year, I'm not sure about the 3rd but you should definitely speak to universities you are interested in directly...
Reply 2
Oh that's good to hear, thanks for the response, really appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Oh that's good to hear, thanks for the response, really appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Btw do u have AP's? Because those are generally looked at as similar to A levels especially if in Group A
I'm a US student that originally was looking to transfer. I emailed one university and was told unless I had relevant academic experience in my chosen course, I would not be able to transfer. It is very likely that it would be different for you. But you might have to start over. I'm guessing you're 20/21, so that isn't a huge deal. Definitely get in touch with some universities and ask them. I've found that to be very helpful.
Reply 5
I took 2 AP classes, but they're not related to my major, but I will definitely start contacting the schools I'm interested in and take it from there. Thank you both for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Thank you for your time.

No, you wouldn't need to take A Levels, but there are some problems that you may not have considered: fee status. You'll be counted as an international student, so you'll have to pay international fees and you will be ineligible for any sort of loans, grants or bursaries from the UK government. Given that the chances are you'll have to start over in your degree (though if you're lucky, then they may let you start from the beginning of second year, but this is something that will vary course by course and uni by uni) this could be really quite expensive. Are your parents willing and able to pay?

Given that you only have one year left at college in the USA, I would strongly suggest that your best option will be to stay in the US for one more year, and then come back to the UK after you graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending