The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

3D/2DDigital Animation/Games Design/Special Effects Students 2013

Anyone doing any of these courses?
I've got an unconditional for 3D Digital Animation and got my results from my Foundation art and Design last week (Distinction yayy!) - anyone else coming from a foundation course?
Also, anybody else not have any experience with Maya yet??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've got an unconditional for Games Art~ I started a foundation but didn't finish it. (It suckeeeed) And little experience with Maya. @__@;; Need to get some over summer but so much to dooo.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Got an unconditional offer for 3D Digital Animation, took a year out after my foundation course and congrats on the distinction! :smile: Played around a little with Maya, not too much though
Reply 3
Thanks! I wasn't expecting it at all :biggrin:
And good - so I'm not the only one that needs to learn to use Maya! I actually want to be a games designer more than an animator, but the guy who interviewed me said I could change to games art if I wanted because in the first year games art and 3d animation are really similar...
Where are you from? :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah I got a conditional offer for the 3D Animation course. Only needed a pass in my foundation but I got a Merit :smile: (was told I wasn't far off a distinction! Argh!)
Not touched maya in a while and definitely don't know my way around it, but I'll get started on it soon!
Can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I am doing Game Art in September and I've used maya a fair bit. @Rosie I'm in a pretty similar situation (wanting to end up being a game designer and what not) to you and I believe that the first year of the courses are the same (to my knowledge), he said the same thing to me (just the other way round) except I am probably going to stick with Game art.
Reply 6
Original post by Aaron B
I am doing Game Art in September and I've used maya a fair bit. @Rosie I'm in a pretty similar situation (wanting to end up being a game designer and what not) to you and I believe that the first year of the courses are the same (to my knowledge), he said the same thing to me (just the other way round) except I am probably going to stick with Game art.

Oh good - though the guy who interviewed me said he wouldn't like me anymore if I switched to games art haha. I guess I'll see you in September :biggrin:

I haven't really accepted yet that I'm actually finally moving away from home :L I almost put Bournemouth as my firm choice but that was waaaaay too far from where I live.
Reply 7
Original post by Rosie-R
Oh good - though the guy who interviewed me said he wouldn't like me anymore if I switched to games art haha. I guess I'll see you in September :biggrin:

I haven't really accepted yet that I'm actually finally moving away from home :L I almost put Bournemouth as my firm choice but that was waaaaay too far from where I live.

I nearly put Bournemouth too! Once i got accepted, It was a long month of changing my mind between the 2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ah I was caught between choosing Games Art and 3D Animation too... but I guess will see how it all pans out in the first year :biggrin:

Like you guys I almost put Bournemouth as my firm too! Was really surprised when I got accepted (how long was that interview & test process?!) but I felt like I'd be more comfortable with Hertfordshire's course. I'm from Surrey so not I'm not really gonna be moving that far :P

Whereabouts you guys from?

Just a lil over 2 months until moving in!
Reply 9
I know! My life drawings for the test were terrible! Don't know how I passed that.

Yeah Hertfordshire just had more of a friendlier atmosphere, and the staff at Herts give off the impression that they will give all the time into their students as long as they work hard. Where as Bournemouth gave off the impression that you should be privileged to be on the course and most of you would drop out if you're not as "intellectual" as the others. Just too formal and snooty for my liking.

Yeah I'm in the Surrey area too, a little town on the edge of Surrey/London called Morden :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I know exactly what you mean, at the interviews Hertfordshire felt like the place to be but Bournemouth almost felt oppressive (although possibly better educational wise due to the very point of it being more "formal and snooty"). Besides from experience its more down to the work you put in rather than the course.

I live in a place called Saffron Walden in Essex, it's like one of the few small areas in Essex that isn't totally infected with the chavyoloswag apocalypse probably due to the fact that it is one of the most boring places you can go for anyone my age. Thank the spaghetti monster for the internet + modern transport and thereby a rescue from an otherwise dull and cardboard box factory upbringing... I am probably making it sound worse than it is.

I've come from a games design/development but a lot of people in the interview and such seemed to come from courses such as art foundation, so naturally I am interested... what course have you guys come from?
Reply 11
I'm from an art foundation :smile: I have absolutely no experience using Maya or 3D software... I'm more of a writer than anything :smile: I'm coming from Sheffield in Yorkshire so less than 3 hours drive away and hell of a lot closer than Bournemouth!
I think my issue with Bournemouth is that it wasn't very creative... I felt like they'd train me to be a really good computer programmer as opposed to designer or story writer or general master of imagining stuff :smile:
Reply 12
Hi! I've just completed my btec national diploma art and design with D*DD so happy with my results :biggrin: and my college has notified ucas so I am now waiting for replies.. I should be starting in september on the 3D animation course :smile: I've been doing some practice in maya recently but I am worried that I will get there and some people will be amazing at it and I will just be like bleh :P haha...oh and nice to meet you all I wanted to get to know some people before I go..I am quite nerdy I like games and go to conventions dressed up ..so wondering if anyone here likes similar things :smile:
Reply 13
oh yes and snap! i had the exact same problem with whether to choose bournemouth or hertfordshire as my firm choice too and same reason of bournemouth being too far as I live in Essex and the atmosphere at herts seemed more down to earth therefore i chose herts
Reply 14
I've got an unconditional for 3D Animation! I applied to Bournemouth and Hertfordshire but preferred Herts... If anyone wants to see any of my work it's http://www.boxmediadesign.co.uk
If anyone else has online portfolios I'd love to see
Reply 15
I recently received my results and got a D*D*D for Interactive media which ensured an unconditional offer, and now that accommodation's sorted too I thought it would be cool to seek out other people who are taking the same course! So hi there!

Chari-mon I'm also a huge fan of games and dressing up for conventions! You wouldn't happen to be referring to MCM would you? OwO

box_zak1 Your work looks very impressive!
Reply 16
box_zak1 wow your work is amazing! now I feel pressured lool

Sky Pirate yes I actually just bought my weekend tickets for the october mcm the other day..I will be cosplaying mikasa from attack on titan if you've heard of it (not sure if you're more into anime or comics) ^^
Reply 17
Chari-mon I'm a huge fan of attack on titan actually! If all goes well with the materials I should be going as Jean on one of the days. Oh man, that's so cool!
Reply 18
Original post by Sky Pirate
Chari-mon I'm a huge fan of attack on titan actually! If all goes well with the materials I should be going as Jean on one of the days. Oh man, that's so cool!

oh man awesome! I've already started making my 3D maneuver gear and my friend who also will be on this course is cosplaying as eren :biggrin: cant wait to start uni in september and actually meet some of you people :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Chari-mon
oh man awesome! I've already started making my 3D maneuver gear and my friend who also will be on this course is cosplaying as eren :biggrin: cant wait to start uni in september and actually meet some of you people :smile:

Wow! Feeling a lot more at ease about starting in September now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending