The Student Room Group

Are these a-level appropriate

Hey all,

So, I’m applying for post 16 courses and I was looking at a-levels in usp college. I myself am a very creative, arty and people based person, I just wanted more opinions whether or not these courses are suitable for my career ideas.

- fine art
- graphic design
- 3d design and architecture

(And for those who did these at a-level could you explain what they’re like and if it’s just coursework or not)

And I was looking at quite a few pathways but was able to thin it down to:
Creative game developer, Illustrator, Interior design, Tattoo artist, Animation…

Or would it just be best to do a lvl 3 vocational course in games design + animation or illustration?

I do plan to go to uni too

Many thanks!
(edited 4 months ago)
Games, Design and Illustration will be more fun and less work. 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
Games, Design and Illustration will be more fun and less work. 🙂

There’s not a course around me with all 3 unfortunately, is either animation or illustration with games design
Original post by moraxx
There’s not a course around me with all 3 unfortunately, is either animation or illustration with games design

Go for Illustration with Games Design then!!! 😀
Reply 4
Game design and animation can include illustration techniques, but illustration won't teach you game designs.
There's also the option of illustration with animation, but most of the animation is moving designs (think logos or effects) rather than story based animation like with the actual animation courses.

It might be worth having a look into Hertfordshire Uni. Their animation courses all share pretty much the same 1st year so you learn a bit of game design, 2D, 3D, comic/concept art (that can translate to illustration). So you can then decide what you think is best suited to you after trying everything out and it's a whole lot easier to decide to change course in 2nd year if it's really not for you since you know the fundamentals of all the courses already.

As for your A-Levels, most art unis won't worry too much on what kind of courses you take as long as you get the UCAS points and take at least 1 art based course (fine art or art/craft/design or similar) and most importantly have a good portfolio suited to the course you want to do in uni.

I'm not too sure on how vocational courses work tho. Most people who I know who've applied for uni have done it with ALevels if that helps?

But yeah either way if you want to go to uni, portfolios are where most of the focus is on. Some unis will even accept you if you don't have the courses/UCAS points as long as you have a portfolio that can support you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending