The Student Room Group

Don't know which college to go to?

I've just been given the choice to stay at my school's sixth form, after months of thinking that I would be going to the local sixth form down the road.
Both of them have advantages and disadvantages... I was wondering if anyone could help?

Current school:
Advantages
-I know everyone
-Familiar buildings and set-up
-Really good A-level results & great teachers
-It's my 'safe place' for when I'm feeling worried and stressed.
-Excellent pastoral care.

Disadvantages
-My dad said that I'm going to have to make my own way there. That's a 40 minute walk in the morning and again on the way home.
-I have recently fallen out (yes I had an argument with a biology teacher on a plane) with a teacher of mine who will be teaching me if I stay.
-They have really strict rules on hair colour (mine is currently bright red) and make-up. You also have to wear a suit.

New college:
Advantages
-My best friends are going there
-More opportunity to get involved in more activities
-I live 400 metres away.
-I can more freely express myself as a person, as I can wear my own clothes and dye my hair whatever colour I want.

Disadvantages
-I didn't really enjoy the induction day.
-I can't see myself studying there and enjoying it.
- I felt slightly pushed into going there by my parents.

Can anyone help?
Reply 1
Whatever your decision is don't brood too much over it. In time you would realise it would all turn out for the best! :smile:
Original post by sassytimelords
I've just been given the choice to stay at my school's sixth form, after months of thinking that I would be going to the local sixth form down the road.
Both of them have advantages and disadvantages... I was wondering if anyone could help?

Current school:
Advantages
-I know everyone
-Familiar buildings and set-up
-Really good A-level results & great teachers
-It's my 'safe place' for when I'm feeling worried and stressed.
-Excellent pastoral care.

Disadvantages
-My dad said that I'm going to have to make my own way there. That's a 40 minute walk in the morning and again on the way home.
-I have recently fallen out (yes I had an argument with a biology teacher on a plane) with a teacher of mine who will be teaching me if I stay.
-They have really strict rules on hair colour (mine is currently bright red) and make-up. You also have to wear a suit.

New college:
Advantages
-My best friends are going there
-More opportunity to get involved in more activities
-I live 400 metres away.
-I can more freely express myself as a person, as I can wear my own clothes and dye my hair whatever colour I want.

Disadvantages
-I didn't really enjoy the induction day.
-I can't see myself studying there and enjoying it.
- I felt slightly pushed into going there by my parents.

Can anyone help?

it's important to bare in mind that no one here can make the decision for you. You are the one living your life and this decision only effects you - it isn't going to effect someone else across the country who has their own life to lead.

One option is to go with you gut of where you think you'll be happier. Remember, life is too short to be wasting years at some place or doing something that's going to cause you misery.

Another idea would be to consider what you are and are not willing to compromise. So, are you willing to travel that far to go to that school? What are you priorities of what you really want?
Will you be happy sacrificing distance for the teachers etc? What comes first? How badly do you want your hair colour?
There are no wrong answers, it's all personal preference.

As for falling out with your teacher - we all make mistakes. I don't know what happened but maybe you could approach her and apologize, or ask if you could make a fresh start.
A forty minute walk is nothing and it will keep you fit if you do it briskly.
Reply 4
Yeah, I guess so. I do think I'd be happier staying where I am, but I don't know. I'm all confused right now. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest