The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Should I go to Durham if I don't even get into Castle?

I've received an offer and exceed it + definitely want somewhere in the Bailey, old vibe, nice library, historic and formal.

If I don't get into Castle, should I even make Durham my firm choice? I know they prioritise you if you make it your firm but am unsure..
i think if you are only wanting to go to Durham because of castle and wouldn't consider being in other colleges then it seems pointless in firming it because the likelihood of you getting into castle is pretty low considering everyone else also wants it! I would have a look at the other colleges, the course in detail and the wider student experience because you're going to be there for a long period of time!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Even if you get into Castle, you might not end up actually living in the Castle/its grounds - they've other accommodation blocks located in/around The Bailey/
I completely agree with the other two comments above - one should only go to Durham if they actually want to go to Durham, not because their college is prestigious. I went to Chad's which is another famous Bailey college, but college quickly stops mattering after first year when you move out. As the others pointed out also, you will most likely not live on the actual Castle grounds either as it is extremely competitive, and largely luck-based. I only lived in Main College because someone gave up their place just as I got my allocation, but you may not be so lucky.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
i think if you are only wanting to go to Durham because of castle and wouldn't consider being in other colleges then it seems pointless in firming it because the likelihood of you getting into castle is pretty low considering everyone else also wants it! I would have a look at the other colleges, the course in detail and the wider student experience because you're going to be there for a long period of time!

Thank you for responding! That is very true, I am considering other colleges but in my eyes Castle is vastly better. My 2nd is St Chad's which I would also be comfortable with and 3rd is St Hild and Bede which I like other than no gowns.

Unsure if I should replace St Hild and Bede with Hatfield.. considering Hatfield's reputation and how it looks like military college.
Reply 5
Original post by dunnott
Even if you get into Castle, you might not end up actually living in the Castle/its grounds - they've other accommodation blocks located in/around The Bailey/

True.. is there any way to say "I would love to go to the Castle itself but if not, can I get accomodation at New Kepier"?
Reply 6
Original post by karikowska239
I completely agree with the other two comments above - one should only go to Durham if they actually want to go to Durham, not because their college is prestigious. I went to Chad's which is another famous Bailey college, but college quickly stops mattering after first year when you move out. As the others pointed out also, you will most likely not live on the actual Castle grounds either as it is extremely competitive, and largely luck-based. I only lived in Main College because someone gave up their place just as I got my allocation, but you may not be so lucky.

That is also true. I do agree with the other comments, I guess it's moreso the fact that Castle is significantly better (in my eyes) than the other colleges. St Chad's is my second option but I'm not a BIG fan of how small it is and I honestly only like Trinity Hall which I don't even know if I can get into.

Nonetheless, I do agree with the fact that I should go for the Uni not the colleges. And I love Durham, other than rumours about elitism and Oxbridge rejects it is still a top uni for my course and I adore the city generally.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
True.. is there any way to say "I would love to go to the Castle itself but if not, can I get accomodation at New Kepier"?

No
I've received an offer and exceed it + definitely want somewhere in the Bailey, old vibe, nice library, historic and formal.

If I don't get into Castle, should I even make Durham my firm choice? I know they prioritise you if you make it your firm but am unsure..

Hiya!

There are plenty of other Bailey colleges that match your criteria, maybe try looking into them as back up options. As far as I'm aware, if you're particularly interested in getting accommodation in the Castle itself, I will say it is highly competitive and it's best to consider other Bailey colleges as well in case you're assigned a different accommodation.

St Cuthbert's Society, Hatfield, St Johns and St Chads are all great colleges that match the vibe you're looking for and all have amazing facilities and the historic and formal vibe you're looking for.

You can find out more about Bailey colleges from the perspective of the students by reading some of the blogs published 🙂
The Durham Student

Best of Luck!

-Ghala

This could be a foolish reason to turn down Durham. Besides, many people who are members of Castle don't actually stay in the castle or even close to it. You are frankly better off at Colleges like St Mary’s or Hatfield, if you want the ‘old’ vibe.
Congratulations on your offer!
Please do not obsess over a certain college as it will likely not be where you end up. Many people may get provisionally allocated to Castle and then reallocated after results day but, most people love the college they end up in and find it’s the best fit. Many also get Bailey colleges provisionally and then end up on the Hill after results (even if they far exceed the offer criteria and firmed their offer early).
The allocations / provisional allocations process is very unhelpful for applicants (and presumably the admissions team as it takes ages and they probably receive loads of complaints!) and should, imo, be disregarded with allocations given once only after results day. The only people who ‘need’ to be in a specific environment are those with a disability or access requirement. Imo, save for the catered / self-catered requirement, there should be no other element of choice and the colleges should allocated in the same way as halls are at other unis.
Durham is a brilliant university with excellent teaching and a supportive, collegiate environment so please try and focus on that rather than a specific college as you will likely be disappointed.
Reply 11
Original post by dunnott
No

Ah, unfortunate.
Reply 12
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya!

There are plenty of other Bailey colleges that match your criteria, maybe try looking into them as back up options. As far as I'm aware, if you're particularly interested in getting accommodation in the Castle itself, I will say it is highly competitive and it's best to consider other Bailey colleges as well in case you're assigned a different accommodation.

St Cuthbert's Society, Hatfield, St Johns and St Chads are all great colleges that match the vibe you're looking for and all have amazing facilities and the historic and formal vibe you're looking for.

You can find out more about Bailey colleges from the perspective of the students by reading some of the blogs published 🙂
The Durham Student

Best of Luck!

-Ghala

Thank you! I think I've come more to terms with college selection and all, will still apply to Castle but will also do my best to get into St. Chad's or Hatfields.

For St. Chad's, is hall selection random? I adore Trinity Hall but am unsure how hard it is to get into it.
Reply 13
Original post by Wired_1800
This could be a foolish reason to turn down Durham. Besides, many people who are members of Castle don't actually stay in the castle or even close to it. You are frankly better off at Colleges like St Mary’s or Hatfield, if you want the ‘old’ vibe.

Very true, I am hoping to get into Hatfield or St. Chad's.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous #3
Congratulations on your offer!
Please do not obsess over a certain college as it will likely not be where you end up. Many people may get provisionally allocated to Castle and then reallocated after results day but, most people love the college they end up in and find it’s the best fit. Many also get Bailey colleges provisionally and then end up on the Hill after results (even if they far exceed the offer criteria and firmed their offer early).
The allocations / provisional allocations process is very unhelpful for applicants (and presumably the admissions team as it takes ages and they probably receive loads of complaints!) and should, imo, be disregarded with allocations given once only after results day. The only people who ‘need’ to be in a specific environment are those with a disability or access requirement. Imo, save for the catered / self-catered requirement, there should be no other element of choice and the colleges should allocated in the same way as halls are at other unis.
Durham is a brilliant university with excellent teaching and a supportive, collegiate environment so please try and focus on that rather than a specific college as you will likely be disappointed.

Thank you very much! I have come more to terms with all of that but still would like (just for the experience) a Bailey, 'old vibe' College. Who knows, I could end up at a contemporary Hill college but as you said, I should be going for Durham not the College.
Very true, I am hoping to get into Hatfield or St. Chad's.

Yes. There are other colleges that will give you a great experience.
Inside the castle is mostly filled with third years, while the first years will reside within Bailey Court, Moatside and Owengate. Then there is the self-catered option of Kepier court which is a fair walk from the academic buildings.
Thank you! I think I've come more to terms with college selection and all, will still apply to Castle but will also do my best to get into St. Chad's or Hatfields.

For St. Chad's, is hall selection random? I adore Trinity Hall but am unsure how hard it is to get into it.

Hiya

Yes, the hall selection is random and will only include accommodation blocks available to undergraduates. According to their website, Trinity Hall is reserved for non-first-year students and postgraduates and only offers self-catered accommodation so I'm afraid you won't be able to live there in your first year.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest