The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Colleges!

Hi, can anyone recommend any particular Colleges at Durham? Thankss.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, can anyone recommend any particular Colleges at Durham? Thanks

Hey! I have a list of some colleges/Universities in Durham.
(Btw check reviews and stuff on Google Maps!)
Josephine Butler College
St Johns College
Ustinov College
University College
St chad's College
St Aidan's College
St Mary's College
Van Mildert College
Grey College, Durham University
New College Durham
Hatfield College
South College, Durham University
College of St. Hild and St. Bede Durham University
Finchale Training College
Trevelyan College Durham University
St Cuthbert's Society Durham University
East Durham College, Houghall Campus
Stephenson College Durham University
John Snow College
St Cuthbert's Society Brooks House Durham University
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anna Bella:3
Josephine Butler College
St Johns College
Ustinov College
University College
St chad's College
St Aidan's College
St Mary's College
Van Mildert College
New College Durham
Hatfield College
John Snow College

Thank you so much! I shall look at the reviews, good idea.
Original post by Anna Bella:3
Josephine Butler College
St Johns College
Ustinov College
University College
St chad's College
St Aidan's College
St Mary's College
Van Mildert College
New College Durham
Hatfield College
John Snow College

Many of these aren’t even part of the uni lol - New College Durham is a sixth form totally separate to the uni as well as East Durham College and Finchale Training College 😭

Just use the university website for proper information
I’m at Castle (University College) and can recommend it, but I’d also recommend Mary’s, St Cuthbert's, John’s, Chad’s and Collingwood (that’s not to say the other colleges are rubbish though - everyone ends up loving their own college even if it wasn’t their preference)
Original post by Anonymous #2
I’m at Castle (University College) and can recommend it, but I’d also recommend Mary’s, St Cuthbert's, John’s, Chad’s and Collingwood (that’s not to say the other colleges are rubbish though - everyone ends up loving their own college even if it wasn’t their preference)

Hi
I've just got an offer and I have to rank the colleges. I read that colleges are allocated according to your department as well. Do you know which field of study each college is specific to (e.g. University College)? I will be studying economics; are there any chances for me to get into Uni College?
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hi
I've just got an offer and I have to rank the colleges. I read that colleges are allocated according to your department as well. Do you know which field of study each college is specific to (e.g. University College)? I will be studying economics; are there any chances for me to get into Uni College?

Hey there

Durham colleges aren't course-specific, therefore, the only reason your course is considered when allocating colleges is to ensure that all colleges have a good mix of students from different courses. So yes, you can get allocated to University College but it is in no way guaranteed as it is a historically oversubscribed choice amongst students.

On how to choose a college, I would recommend starting by deciding whether you want a catered or self-catered college. Once that's decided, see which type of room you want- some will have more shared than single rooms so you can avoid that based on your preferences; some like the self-catered hill colleges have majority ensuites. After that, check the distance of the college from where your contact hours will take place- it's ideal if it's within a 20-minute walking distance. After that, think about whether you wanna be part of a bigger or a smaller college- Johns and Chads are the smallest, all others are pretty big; Castle, Hatfield and all hill colleges are pretty big. You can then consider whether you like the appeal of gowned formals, not all colleges have those but you can see on the table here which ones do. This table also mentions the stats for rooms so have a look at those. Finally, you can look at the societies each college has, which you'll find on their respective JCR pages (just google [college name] JCR and it should pop up). There are also optional costs associated with being a college member like JCR membership, gym membership, etc and these can vary a lot. For instance, a gym membership at South college is about £90 for the whole year but it's only £20 at Josephine Butler (although I've never visited the Butler gym so can't comment on the quality, but South's gym is super nice). You can also find these types of costs on the JCR pages as well.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more help :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 5 months ago)
Thank you very much!
(Thx for the reply on the other forum as well😊)

I would like an ensuite room in a catered, gowned college on the Bailey. (I know Bailey colleges have fewer single rooms)

Here’s my question: Is it possible to be assigned to a college with the characteristics mentioned above, but not be able to get the type of room I prefer?

Am I able to choose the type of room, and if so, when do I make that choice? Also, what happens if 50 students want an ensuite, but there are only 10 such rooms available?

P.S. Could you please explain the meanings of the types of rooms available? (Single ensuite, twin ensuite, shared ensuite, standard room). Is there a deadline for selecting colleges?

Thank youuu🤗
Thank you very much!

I would like an ensuite room in a catered, gowned college on the Bailey. (I know Bailey colleges have fewer single rooms)

Here’s my question: Is it possible to be assigned to a college with the characteristics mentioned above, but not be able to get the type of room I prefer?

Am I able to choose the type of room, and if so, when do I make that choice? Also, what happens if 50 students want an ensuite, but there are only 10 such rooms available?

P.S. Could you please explain the meanings of the types of rooms available? (Single ensuite, twin ensuite, shared ensuite, standard room). Is there a deadline for selecting colleges?

Thank youuu🤗

Im wondering the same things now, is it clear now for you?
Thank you very much!

Thank youuu🤗

i’m pretty sure room types are randomly assigned actually after you’ve been allocated to a college
Reply 10
Thank you very much!

Thank youuu🤗
Hi!

The way it worked last year was that once your allocated college has been confirmed after results day theyll start allocating accomodation. Some can be really annoyingly slow with this, and often people are switched colleges at this stage (I knew quite a few, even people who were switched twice) due to small colleges only having so much accomodation. So just know that whichever you are sorted into it is NOT a guarantee which can be really stressful, (but don't worry about that now it's just something to note)

As for the type of accom, if you are DEADSET on an ensuite single room then I wouldn't go for a college that has limited ones available UNLESS you have some kind of disability allowance that would gurantee it. Simply because once you are allocated a college they WILL NOT move you if you ask, it is ironic that you can be reallocated due to their organisation issues but not because you want to be. They are very strict about not moving peoples colleges before you arrive in durham, though I know it is technically possible once you're here. But essentially if they don't have enough ensuites/singles, you will be put in whatever accom they do have available. So if you go for chads for example, chances are you'll have a roommate whether you want one or not, though I have friends in single rooms almost none of them have ensuites! It is possible to find the number of rooms per college that are ensuite, so that may be helpful to you.

Oh and as for the kinds of rooms;

single ensuite: no roommate, own bathroom in your room.
single shared toilet; no roommate, but shared showers and toilets along the corridor.
shared ensuite; roommate, but you have an ensuite in your room
shared with shared toilet: roommate, shared showers along the corridor (with more than just your roommate)

also - Chads college has cleaners that clean your room and ensuite (if you have it), they do not list this on their webiste so it was somewhat of a shock coming here. I think the other bailey colleges may also have this, I'm not sure.

And for gowns - chads has two formals a week which is alot haha, other colleges you wont be needing your gown so often, such as Johns which only has one every two (?) weeks

Hope this helps!
Original post by lanie_p
Thank you very much!

Thank youuu🤗
Hi!

The way it worked last year was that once your allocated college has been confirmed after results day theyll start allocating accomodation. Some can be really annoyingly slow with this, and often people are switched colleges at this stage (I knew quite a few, even people who were switched twice) due to small colleges only having so much accomodation. So just know that whichever you are sorted into it is NOT a guarantee which can be really stressful, (but don't worry about that now it's just something to note)

As for the type of accom, if you are DEADSET on an ensuite single room then I wouldn't go for a college that has limited ones available UNLESS you have some kind of disability allowance that would gurantee it. Simply because once you are allocated a college they WILL NOT move you if you ask, it is ironic that you can be reallocated due to their organisation issues but not because you want to be. They are very strict about not moving peoples colleges before you arrive in durham, though I know it is technically possible once you're here. But essentially if they don't have enough ensuites/singles, you will be put in whatever accom they do have available. So if you go for chads for example, chances are you'll have a roommate whether you want one or not, though I have friends in single rooms almost none of them have ensuites! It is possible to find the number of rooms per college that are ensuite, so that may be helpful to you.

single shared toilet; no roommate, but shared showers and toilets along the corridor.
shared with shared toilet: roommate, shared showers along the corridor (with more than just your roommate)

also - Chads college has cleaners that clean your room and ensuite (if you have it), they do not list this on their webiste so it was somewhat of a shock coming here. I think the other bailey colleges may also have this, I'm not sure.

And for gowns - chads has two formals a week which is alot haha, other colleges you wont be needing your gown so often, such as Johns which only has one every two (?) weeks

Hope this helps!

By doing your preference list is it still possible to get one of the last colleges you ranked? Do you think they follow the ranking a lot or not really?
Reply 12
Original post by susanaalvarez
Hi!

Hope this helps!

By doing your preference list is it still possible to get one of the last colleges you ranked? Do you think they follow the ranking a lot or not really?
Well when it comes to getting your provisional allocation then it is strictly based on your rankings, I got my first choice but a lot of people don't. I did a lot of research on the colleges, but most people don't tbh.

But once you have a provisional allocation they might move you after results day, if they realise the college you were allocated to is overful (which for chads happens every year...) at that point they don't look at what you ranked they just move you into a college with spaces, which usually means a hill college like Aidens or South. But don't let that put you off ranking a small college as first! In the grand scheme of things not thatttt many people were reallocated.
Original post by lanie_p
Original post by susanaalvarez
Hi!

Hope this helps!

Well when it comes to getting your provisional allocation then it is strictly based on your rankings, I got my first choice but a lot of people don't. I did a lot of research on the colleges, but most people don't tbh.

But once you have a provisional allocation they might move you after results day, if they realise the college you were allocated to is overful (which for chads happens every year...) at that point they don't look at what you ranked they just move you into a college with spaces, which usually means a hill college like Aidens or South. But don't let that put you off ranking a small college as first! In the grand scheme of things not thatttt many people were reallocated.

Ok thank you!
I was between putting chads and hatfield as my first option, but i think im going to put hatfield bc i feel I have less possibilities of getting reallocated that way.
Do you know where I can search for more college information? I feel like the durham website is very underwhelming and doesn't tell you a lot

Quick Reply

Latest