The Student Room Group

is there ANY way to find out someone's address from their IP?

i've got a blog and someone has been sending me anon hate on it for the best part of a year. i know the obvious solution is to delete my blog but what they say doesn't actually particularly upset me (i just ignore and delete it), it's the fact that they hate me enough to carry on doing it despite never having had any response.

i know it's someone i know in real life, because they make personal comments about me and my boyfriend and our appearance (which i have never mentioned/shown photos of on my blog), and when i got a statcounter i realised that the person sending the hate actually lives in the same town as me.

i went out with a few idiots in the past so i wouldn't be surprised if it was one of them, but it is REALLY bugging me not knowing exactly who it is. they have said such downright nasty things that if i saw them in person i would want an explanation, you know?

so my question is...once you've got their IP address, is there anything you can do with it?

any help would be really appreciated, thanks so much.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Their ISP will probably have records of who has what address at any given time, so they would have the information to find out who it is. However there is no way for you to access that information.

How extreme are the comments? If it could count as harassment or something maybe the police could do something. Although if they're just making comments on your appearance I doubt they'd do anything (unless they're being racist).
http://geobytes.com/iplocator.htm
Probably your best bet
From a quick google, not sure how well it works.
I think you'll probably only be able to locate what city it is.
Reply 3
Original post by stroppyninja
Probably your best bet

thanks a lot! i've got it open in a new tab now so will have a look. i already know they live in literally the same village as me, as one IP locator was quite specific, but i just can't seem to get any further than that :frown:

Original post by Psyk
Their ISP will probably have records of who has what address at any given time, so they would have the information to find out who it is. However there is no way for you to access that information.

How extreme are the comments? If it could count as harassment or something maybe the police could do something. Although if they're just making comments on your appearance I doubt they'd do anything (unless they're being racist).

thankyou! i thought you might say that :frown: ah well, worth a shot. i did ask my local police and they said unless they count as threats there's nothing that can be done, i can't report them or anything. they just say nasty things and are pretty vulgar so it's nothing too bad, i can deal with it, it's just infuriating not knowing who it is as i'd like to punch them in the face! (i won't, haha)
Reply 4
With an IP address you can DOS them. This is basically send many packets of data to them so they get booted of the Internet completely. But won't advice it because its illegal :P
Reply 5
Original post by yodawg321
With an IP address you can DOS them. This is basically send many packets of data to them so they get booted of the Internet completely. But won't advice it because its illegal :P

haha, sounds like a good plan but maybe i'd better steer clear of anything illegal!
Reply 6
If it's the same IP then why not blacklist it from making any comments?

You cannot find an exact location from an IP address. It will always be approx, ie area.
Original post by safety_pin
thanks a lot! i've got it open in a new tab now so will have a look. i already know they live in literally the same village as me, as one IP locator was quite specific, but i just can't seem to get any further than that :frown:

thankyou! i thought you might say that :frown: ah well, worth a shot. i did ask my local police and they said unless they count as threats there's nothing that can be done, i can't report them or anything. they just say nasty things and are pretty vulgar so it's nothing too bad, i can deal with it, it's just infuriating not knowing who it is as i'd like to punch them in the face! (i won't, haha)

Even if the police won't take action, from an IP you can tell the ISP of the person. It might be worth sending a e-mail to that ISP, saying that one of their customers is being abusive, and provide any information you have. There is a chance then that they could get in trouble with their ISP (as I imagine most internet contracts say you shouldn't be abusive / etc).
Original post by stroppyninja
Probably your best bet

I've read about this. Services like this are not reliable - they often just show the postal address of an ISP server, or even their head or regional office.
Reply 9
Are you sure what you've is the right IP address? Cz ppl can setup static ips pretty easily to remain hidden...
Original post by rmhumphries
Even if the police won't take action, from an IP you can tell the ISP of the person. It might be worth sending a e-mail to that ISP, saying that one of their customers is being abusive, and provide any information you have. There is a chance then that they could get in trouble with their ISP (as I imagine most internet contracts say you shouldn't be abusive / etc).

Generally ISPs won't act without a court order, or a request from the police in connection with detecting a crime.

If the harassment is serious and threatening, OP should contact the police and provide them with the evidence. Harassment is an extremely serious crime.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Generally ISPs won't act without a court order, or a request from the police in connection with detecting a crime.

If the harassment is serious and threatening, OP should contact the police and provide them with the evidence. Harassment is an extremely serious crime.

Still might be worth the 5 minutes it takes to send an e-mail. They won't reveal the details of the user involved, but there is still a chance they would contact the user themselves.
Reply 12
thankyou so much for your replies guys! in terms of the harrassment, the police seemed pretty certain that the only way they could act is if the person literally said something along the lines of "you're a ___ AND i'm gonna come round and stab your mum" or whatever, there has to be an actual threat. so however mean they become online unless they say they will physically harm me or come to my house etc it doesn't count for much.

i've been able to block their IP so the comments no longer show up on my computer, but when i go on via my phone they're still there and i am reminded of how much i want to find out who this person is, haha.

thanks v much for the reply about contacting the ISP - i have all the details like that (the ISP, their operating system, etc) so have quite a lot of info from my stat counter, so will definitely get in touch and say something. even just a scary message to them from the ISP might do the trick :wink: thanks again! you've all been great.
Reply 13
Original post by Fullofsurprises

This is very true.

Original post by rmhumphries
Still might be worth the 5 minutes it takes to send an e-mail. They won't reveal the details of the user involved, but there is still a chance they would contact the user themselves.

You can try and do this but it really isn't worth the time. ISP's hardly ever reply to these types of emails.

Original post by safety_pin
thankyou so much for your replies guys! in terms of the harrassment, the police seemed pretty certain that the only way they could act is if the person literally said something along the lines of "you're a ___ AND i'm gonna come round and stab your mum" or whatever, there has to be an actual threat. so however mean they become online unless they say they will physically harm me or come to my house etc it doesn't count for much.

i've been able to block their IP so the comments no longer show up on my computer, but when i go on via my phone they're still there and i am reminded of how much i want to find out who this person is, haha.

thanks v much for the reply about contacting the ISP - i have all the details like that (the ISP, their operating system, etc) so have quite a lot of info from my stat counter, so will definitely get in touch and say something. even just a scary message to them from the ISP might do the trick :wink: thanks again! you've all been great.

Is it on YOUR forum/blog or a public forum/blog? Either way you should be able to block the IP and or comments. If it is on a public forum then you can ask the administrator or moderators to remove the content and I am pretty sure they will comply.

As for getting the police involved, there has to be a threat made and it has to be one where you actually feel threatened.. If that makes any sense.
Reply 14
If it's your blog..you can delete the messages.. Or just blacklist the IP..
Reply 15
I should hope not, it's an invasion of privacy. I know they're harassing you and that's wrong, can you not just block their IP from accessing your blog? Also, what would you do if you gained access to their address?
Reply 16
Why not set the comments where they are accepted before they are posted.
http://who.is

Put their IP into that site, and it will give you their ISP

Find the ISP's abuse email, usually [email protected] and email them about it. provide screenshots and anything else you have available. they will respond and let you know what to do or what other info to provide
(edited 10 years ago)
Rough area? Yes. Address? No.
Reply 19
No, I'm sure only the Police and anyone higher can find a specific location unless you're some kind of genius

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending