The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Official QMUL 2023-2024 Undergraduate Applications

Hi everyone! Welcome to the official 2023-2024 QMUL application thread for undergraduates. Feel free to ask questions, post about your applications or just have a look!

I'm currently studying Computer Systems Engineering with industrial placement (in financial technology.) If you have any questions about CS, Engineering or placements at QM just ask!

We also have other student reps doing everything from law, to dentistry- so do ask!

Best of luck everyone!
Reply 1
How exactly would placement years work? Would you mind answering these questions:
What year will the placement take place if I'm on a 5-year Integrated masters degree? Can I choose it to do it at Y4 or Y5?
Would the tuition fee still be at £9250 for the year in industry?
Would we get paid for the year in industry?
Would we have to find a placement (with some intervention from the uni)?
If I can't find a placement, will I just be taken off the integrated masters with IE and put into just integrated masters?
Tho I've been enrolled into integrated with IE, am I right in thinking I'll have to meet certain academic requirements in order to progress into Y4 or possibly Y3? (i.e., there is a chance of me graduating with a BEng)

Thanks!
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Hi!

Thanks for your questions!

1. Usually, the placement year happens the year before your final year (If you're doing a bachelors, year 3 out of 4.)
2. The fee is a flat fee of 1.8k (for now!)
3. You usually get paid for the year in industry- but that depends where you get your placement. I've seen it range from 13-50k. Mine is at the top end, as I'm at a bank. The average would be around 25k I'd say.
4. There is some intervention from uni (suggesting where to apply, help with CVs) but it comes down to you. I found mine basically alone.
5. If you can't find a placement, it's not a problem - you'll just be taken off the course with IP. The course I'm on actually didn't have an IP but since I found a placement they just changed my degree! If you can't find one they'll just put you on the integrated masters.
6. Yes, you always have to meet requirements to pass to the next year - usually just a pass. However, your placement provider (the company hiring you) MAY have a requirement (I have friends who need a 2.1 to be able to do the placement.) My placement didn't have a requirement, though!

Hope this answers your questions- feel free to ask any more!

Bat
Original post by tamilGuy.
How exactly would placement years work? Would you mind answering these questions:
What year will the placement take place if I'm on a 5-year Integrated masters degree? Can I choose it to do it at Y4 or Y5?
Would the tuition fee still be at £9250 for the year in industry?
Would we get paid for the year in industry?
Would we have to find a placement (with some intervention from the uni)?
If I can't find a placement, will I just be taken off the integrated masters with IE and put into just integrated masters?
Tho I've been enrolled into integrated with IE, am I right in thinking I'll have to meet certain academic requirements in order to progress into Y4 or possibly Y3? (i.e., there is a chance of me graduating with a BEng)

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Queen Mary Student Ambassadors
Hi!

Thanks for your questions!

1. Usually, the placement year happens the year before your final year (If you're doing a bachelors, year 3 out of 4.)
2. The fee is a flat fee of 1.8k (for now!)
3. You usually get paid for the year in industry- but that depends where you get your placement. I've seen it range from 13-50k. Mine is at the top end, as I'm at a bank. The average would be around 25k I'd say.
4. There is some intervention from uni (suggesting where to apply, help with CVs) but it comes down to you. I found mine basically alone.
5. If you can't find a placement, it's not a problem - you'll just be taken off the course with IP. The course I'm on actually didn't have an IP but since I found a placement they just changed my degree! If you can't find one they'll just put you on the integrated masters.
6. Yes, you always have to meet requirements to pass to the next year - usually just a pass. However, your placement provider (the company hiring you) MAY have a requirement (I have friends who need a 2.1 to be able to do the placement.) My placement didn't have a requirement, though!

Hope this answers your questions- feel free to ask any more!

Bat

Hey,

Yep, answers all! Just one more question, what year do you suggest looking for placements? I've just completed my first year of studies, I'm on an integrated masters with IE, if I'm to do placement in Y4, I'm assuming I'll have to start looking for placements pretty soon? Also, do you have any suggestions to find placements? Aerospace Engineering btw.

Thanks!!
I started looking for placements at the start of my 2nd year (for the following year) - so I'd say you have time to look for a placement! Usually applications open the September before the following Summer. Since my placement starts in summer 2023, I've been looking since Sept. 2022!

For aerospace I'll be less useful - the way I found my placement was making a list of roles at companies I'd like to work for and applying. I did about 10 (?) applications, but I got a place at my top choice before the other applications even got to the interview stage - so of course I went with that company and turned down all the other interviews.

You shouldn't need to start looking yet though! Just work on getting a good CV :smile:
Reply 5
I started looking for placements at the start of my 2nd year (for the following year) - so I'd say you have time to look for a placement! Usually applications open the September before the following Summer. Since my placement starts in summer 2023, I've been looking since Sept. 2022!

For aerospace I'll be less useful - the way I found my placement was making a list of roles at companies I'd like to work for and applying. I did about 10 (?) applications, but I got a place at my top choice before the other applications even got to the interview stage - so of course I went with that company and turned down all the other interviews.

You shouldn't need to start looking yet though! Just work on getting a good CV :smile:

Understood sirr!

Massive help, thank you so much! And wishing you the best with your placement :smile:
Reply 6
Hi everyone! Welcome to the official 2023-2024 QMUL application thread for undergraduates. Feel free to ask questions, post about your applications or just have a look!

I'm currently studying Computer Systems Engineering with industrial placement (in financial technology.) If you have any questions about CS, Engineering or placements at QM just ask!

We also have other student reps doing everything from law, to dentistry- so do ask!

Best of luck everyone!

Hi i have a question I want to study cs but found out their is alot of maths and very hard maths in cs. I achived a 5 in GCSE maths and I done a BTEC in computing and got accepted to queen mary. How hard is the maths in QMUL in computer science degree and how many topics is there for maths. Im alright at coding but im dreading the maths in the CS degree.
Reply 7
Queen Mary, University of London Discord Server:

https://discord.gg/7xnSX8z

Join to meet other freshers and students at the university
Is it compile to come to welcome week on your allocated day. If so do I need to stay the whole duration
Original post by Anonymous
Is it compile to come to welcome week on your allocated day. If so do I need to stay the whole duration

Compulsory*
Original post by Anonymous
Compulsory*

yes you have to go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending