The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by JamesGibson
Instead of turning this into a scrounger-hate fueled race to the bottom, maybe we should focus on raising the bar for everybody (instead of making life worse for people on benefits). Raise the minimum wage to ensure that people aren't faced with lower living standards just because greedy businesses don't want to pay them much.

Ah, the classic naive leftie, blaming the big bad selfish business people for being successful. So your plan for reducing unemployment is... make it more expensive for businesses to employ people! GENIUS!

Seriously, do you not see the blindingly obvious fact that if you raise the minimum wage you will increase unemployment? Unemployment is a far bigger problem than minimum-wage living standards.

The fact is, people survive working full-time on the minimum wage. So anyone who doesn't work can sure as hell survive on the same amount of money. It should never ever be possible for somebody to be in a position where they are earning less money for working than not. The only way to ensure this is to cap all unemployment-exclusive benefits at the same rate or lower than the net minimum wage.
Not many people decide to live a life on benefits. Most people who are unemployed and on benefits have probably worked before finding themselves relying on the state. Further, they will most probably be trying very hard to get a job with very little help from the government.

Effort should be made to tackle the real problems by investing in helping people in to work. Doing this would be far more worthwhile than silly policies which look good in the newspapers and curry favour with the myopic right wingers.
Original post by im so academic
Then surely scrap child benefit and over financial incentives with direct links to education? What's wrong with that?

That's my point. £20 will do **** all to change that.

Ok, well let me give a personal view point. To me, that £20 bought me my school equipment. With my new pens, I personally felt like I was engaged and motivated to learn. Even something as small as new stationary encouraged me to want to be proactive. But, not everybody is like that, and the child benefits in some families gets spent else where, not on the child.

Sometimes, I do get infuriated too, like you, that benefits are given to families which waste it on alcohol, drugs, etc. And ultimately the children suffer because of selfish parents. The £20 a week thing you were talking about should not be stopped, rather I think the government should give some of that child benefit in vouchers, say for WHSmith where parents have to buy stationary.
Reply 63
Then surely scrap child benefit and over financial incentives with direct links to education? What's wrong with that?

That's my point. £20 will do **** all to change that.

£20 will put warm food in a childs belly though.

you right wingers are utterly disgraceful.
Original post by MedicineMann
You seem to have perfected the art of the strawman.

If you read, I was questioning a point that was being made arguing that children are not able to help the life they are born into, so we should thus pay for them.

I said that children cannot help being born into life in Somalia, or any one of numerous other countries around the world, I was enquiring whether the OP thought we should support them too, if the argument they are making is 'we should support children who cannot help where they were born'

You seem to have perfected a lazy way of dismissing an argument without having to formulate a response.
Original post by MedicineMann
The benefit is not £20! It is about £2700 a year of child tax credit on top of the twenty pounds a week child support. And I can assure you that it does make a difference to a childs upbringing, given that my WORKING single mother received it when my dad left, and it allowed us to stay in the same house while I was doing my exams.

I obviously meant £20 a week.
Original post by Lightning.
Ok, well let me give a personal view point. To me, that £20 bought me my school equipment. With my new pens, I personally felt like I was engaged and motivated to learn. Even something as small as new stationary encouraged me to want to be proactive. But, not everybody is like that, and the child benefits in some families gets spent else where, not on the child.

Sometimes, I do get infuriated too, like you, that benefits are given to families which waste it on alcohol, drugs, etc. And ultimately the children suffer because of selfish parents. The £20 a week thing you were talking about should not be stopped, rather I think the government should give some of that child benefit in vouchers, say for WHSmith where parents have to buy stationary.

Pens cost £1 for a packet, in fact even less.
Original post by alex5455
£20 will put warm food in a childs belly though.

you right wingers are utterly disgraceful.

What kind of parent can't afford to feed their own kids? Shouldn't be ****ing having kids in the first place if you can't afford food.
Original post by marcusfox
If you read, I was questioning a point that was being made arguing that children are not able to help the life they are born into, so we should thus pay for them.

I said that children cannot help being born into life in Somalia, or any one of numerous other countries around the world, I was enquiring whether the OP thought we should support them too, if the argument they are making is 'we should support children who cannot help where they were born'

You seem to have perfected a lazy way of dismissing an argument without having to formulate a response.

I don't generally respond to impossible scenarios. Either you have a poor understanding of the situation in Somalia or are setting a trap for someone. I don't really care , but it would be nice if you would stop detracting from the main discussion.
Pens cost £1 for a packet, in fact even less.

Rulers, rubbers, school uniforms, sharpeners, highlighters, school trousers, shoes... do I need to go on?
Reply 70
The OP would do well to stop reading the DailyMail and understand that wages have stagnated for decades, and now even people who work full time have to claim state benefits to keep them afloat.
What kind of parent can't afford to feed their own kids? Shouldn't be ****ing having kids in the first place if you can't afford food.

The inability to provide food may post date the birth of the child.
Reply 72
Good, then you'll tell me how a country such as ours can pay child benefits to every disadvantaged family in the world, how much each child should get and how much you estimate it will cost.

www.wfp.org/node/491 says there are about 400 million undernourished children globally.

Firstly, it is possible that (and this is hypothetical) if everyone was united under one goal the poverty problem could be solved easily.
Secondly i didn't say that. so i guess you are a straw man in which case arguing with you would be like arguing with a baby that jingling keys aren't funny.
Reply 73
You've used your words carefully but you've distorted the picture..

£500 is the maximum, how many people will be getting the maximum?
Reply 74

the parent might have lost their job after childbirth?
also that statement isnt going to suddenly stop people having having kids. so you can't just leave the kids to suffer. that would be morally and economically wrong
Suffering kids -> failing pupils -> no education -> more unemployed.
I obviously meant £20 a week.

Wow are you serious? Every child, regardless of parental income receives £20 a week. Poorer parents receive a separate benefit on top of this of around £2700 a year.
If you really are this misinformed about benefits you have no legitimacy criticising them.
Reply 76
Original post by JamesGibson

In 1970 there were around 300,000 people employed in the mines. The service sector has not grown to support all of these miners, industry workers and the new generation that would have previously been employed in those sectors. Getting an apprenticeship is becoming increasingly difficult and going to university is a big time and monetary investment and the job market isn't that great for graduates either.

Yes, but as mentioned 1970 was 43 years ago. The vast majority of those miners are now either dead or retired.

Granted, many of the mining areas were semi-rural, often with limited transport. The older miners may have had chronic health problems (and no private transport) thus making travelling to centres of education or vocational training difficult. However, for the younger miners opportunities did exist if they showed sufficient initiative and - even if this did mean travelling to new areas and the destruction of old communities.

Added to this the fact that the service sector alone didn't take the unemployed. A number went into self-employment/skilled trades, the others went into new manufacturing (Nissan at Sunderland, for example).

And I don't buy that getting an apprenticeship is increasingly difficult.

What on earth did they do before the creation of the welfare state...

Lived in even greater poverty than today, to be fair, unless they were able to get a job. Also mass marching to London. You must be aware of the Jarrow March?

Those on benefits SHOULD only have basic lives, if that.

Reduce the cap! :angry:

Including the long term sick and disabled (who are often unwell through no fault of their own)?

My parents could afford to feed us when they had us. What should they have done; killed one of us (I'm one of three) when my Dad got ill?
Original post by poiuy
You've never met anyone then who struggle to pay the train or bus fare for college then to the point where it's a massive part in the decision in where they go to college?

I've never met anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to stay on and do A-levels because they couldn't afford the bus fare, no.
Original post by rowena97x
Firstly, it is possible that (and this is hypothetical) if everyone was united under one goal the poverty problem could be solved easily.
Secondly i didn't say that. so i guess you are a straw man in which case arguing with you would be like arguing with a baby that jingling keys aren't funny.

You did say that a child can't help where it's born or the economic circumstances of the family, so we should pay to support it if the parents can't.

So, if your main concern is supporting destitute children who can't help where they are born, it's completely logical to ask what about all those children born into destitute economic circumstances in other countries - should we pay for them, if not, why not?

Not a straw man. Saying 'straw man' doesn't answer the question...
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending