The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What should I choose resit or repeat

Can anyone help me? I just finished my 1st year bsc economic student ,due to a lot of reasons I did not doing well in first year,failed 7 exams ,the resit is just in 10 days and it will be capped,I don’t know should I resit or repeat the first, if I repeat will the grade capped or uncapped
Original post by Zoe223
Can anyone help me? I just finished my 1st year bsc economic student ,due to a lot of reasons I did not doing well in first year,failed 7 exams ,the resit is just in 10 days and it will be capped,I don’t know should I resit or repeat the first, if I repeat will the grade capped or uncapped

At Manchester (and the vast majority of other universities) your first year mark has no impact on your final degree classification, so having your marks capped won't cause an issue there.

The capped marks will likely be an issue if you were hoping to pick-up an internship (or similar) based on your first year results. Were you?

Do you feel ready for resits in just 10 days? That would be the key consideration for me. You say that you didn't do well "due to a lot of reasons". If those reasons were really about the exams (you were hit by a bus the day before your first exam and couldn't concentrate due to the pain) then retake. If those reasons impacted your ability to study and learn the content throughout the year, then you're at risk of falling the resits too.

If you repeat the year your grades won't be capped. However note that Manchester don't let you repeat Level 4 (first year) and Level 5 (normally second year). So you won't have a repeat option again if you use it now. (Student Finance wouldn't cover you for two extra years anyway.)

What you decide to do is ultimately your decision. Good luck. :crossedf:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thank you very much for replying me, I am quite worry that even I tried to study the whole summer, but I did not prepare well for resits that will take place in 10 days and I am international student if I resit I need time to go to school to take the resits in a very short time ,I am not very get used to the year because it was my first time live a a different country and first to adapt university life, and I think I did not prepare for 2nd year, so I really what to repeat the 1st year, what I should do if I want to repeat or defer the resits. I will very appreciate if you can help.

Original post by DataVenia
At Manchester (and the vast majority of other universities) your first year mark has no impact on your final degree classification, so having your marks capped won't cause an issue there.

The capped marks will likely be an issue if you were hoping to pick-up an internship (or similar) based on your first year results. Were you?

Do you feel ready for resits in just 10 days? That would be the key consideration for me. You say that you didn't do well "due to a lot of reasons". If those reasons were really about the exams (you were hit by a bus the day before your first exam and couldn't concentrate due to the pain) then retake. If those reasons impacted your ability to study and learn the content throughout the year, then you're at risk of falling the resits too.

If you repeat the year your grades won't be capped. However note that Manchester don't let you repeat Level 4 (first year) and Level 5 (normally second year). So you won't have a repeat option again if you use it now. (Student Finance wouldn't cover you for two extra years anyway.)

What you decide to do is ultimately your decision. Good luck. :crossedf:
Original post by Zoe223
Thank you very much for replying me, I am quite worry that even I tried to study the whole summer, but I did not prepare well for resits that will take place in 10 days and I am international student if I resit I need time to go to school to take the resits in a very short time ,I am not very get used to the year because it was my first time live a a different country and first to adapt university life, and I think I did not prepare for 2nd year, so I really what to repeat the 1st year, what I should do if I want to repeat or defer the resits. I will very appreciate if you can help.

OK. In the first instance, I suggest that your contact your Faculty/School Office for guidance. As you're studying Economics, that would be School of Social Sciences. Contact details are here ([email protected] or +44 (0)161 529 3377, Monday to Friday, 9.30am 4.30pm).

BTW, Manchester's Undergraduate Degree Regulations are here. You might want to read section I, "Repeating the Level (120 credits)".
Reply 4
Here are the facts for BSc Econ at Manc:

You don't get the choice to retake the year. You can't just choose to redo it, or to defer examinations. The exam board makes the decision to offer this after all other avenues have been pursued unless there are significant mitigating circumstances. Even in these circumstances it is not a given that they will offer it.

I am aware of two people being allowed to retake the BSc Econ course from last year, and both were because of very significant distressing mitigating circumstances.

What this means in practical terms is that you have to do the resits in any case.
Reply 5
The resits will be capped at 30R, but you need to pass at 40 or above.

Any repeat year will likely also be capped. You don't get advantageous second goes unless there are significant mitigating factors at play.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Thank you for your reply, I do have some factors that affect my first year performance, what should do? How to apply for mc?

Original post by gjd800
Here are the facts for BSc Econ at Manc:

You don't get the choice to retake the year. You can't just choose to redo it, or to defer examinations. The exam board makes the decision to offer this after all other avenues have been pursued unless there are significant mitigating circumstances. Even in these circumstances it is not a given that they will offer it.

I am aware of two people being allowed to retake the BSc Econ course from last year, and both were because of very significant distressing mitigating circumstances.

What this means in practical terms is that you have to do the resits in any case.
Reply 7
Original post by DataVenia
OK. In the first instance, I suggest that your contact your Faculty/School Office for guidance. As you're studying Economics, that would be School of Social Sciences. Contact details are here ([email protected] or +44 (0)161 529 3377, Monday to Friday, 9.30am 4.30pm).

BTW, Manchester's Undergraduate Degree Regulations are here. You might want to read section I, "Repeating the Level (120 credits)

Thank you for your advise,I emailed the school yesterday,but did not got a reply yet, what should I do now?
Reply 8
Original post by Zoe223
Thank you for your reply, I do have some factors that affect my first year performance, what should do? How to apply for mc?

Mitigation reopened yesterday. It is a link that you click to fill in an online form. Either your academic advisor or the mit circs team can give you the link.

There is a minimum 3 day turnaround when contacting the School via email, and this time of year is incredibly busy, so you might have quite the wait to hear from the central teams.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
Mitigation reopened yesterday. It is a link that you click to fill in an online form. Either your academic advisor or the mit circs team can give you the link.

There is a minimum 3 day turnaround when contacting the School via email, and this time of year is incredibly busy, so you might have quite the wait to hear from the central teams.

Thank you for your advice, I submit mitigating circumference 7 days before, but I did not get a outcome for it yet,do you know what should do next, I am quite worry because it is already September.
Reply 10
There's nothing you can do except wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending