The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsNerd1
Seriously? After brushing my teeth if I drank some milk then I'd feel like throwing up as its just disgusting really :redface:

I like the minty taste :colondollar:
Mm, but if I eat breakfast it starts my metabolism off and I seem to then feel hungry all day!! :zomg:
I always brushed after, it just seemed logical

however

I spent a few days in a primary school as part of my PGCE and they had a talk on teeth. The kids were told to brush last thing at night and first thing on a morning.

So I have started to brush first then have my breakfast. My dentist told me whatever I am doing is good when I went last week so I am gonna stick to brushing before.

xxx
Original post by Splenge007
I like the minty taste :colondollar:

Fair enough then :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by James A
Why is this? :holmes:

It has been stated in the thread already plus post 55 now as well and you could always ask your dentist or google it as well.

Original post by xDave-
nt sure if srs

To clean them... The clue's in the name

What's the point of making sure it's clean after you've already eaten with dirty teeth.

And if you say to do it before and after, then I say no because that's too often for teeth. The brush before is more important and will protect you for a while anyway.

I say ideal is brush before you sleep, after you wake up and an hour after lunch. :smile:
Before and after :smile:
Before, as I can't have last nights saliva and bacteria built up being put onto my wonderful breakfast :u:
Reply 67
After breakfast. I'm usually ravenous when I wake up, food is the first thing on my mind :tongue:

I don't really get the "have to get rid of the bacteria/morning breath" argument. I can have the most savage breath in the morning and my breakfast tastes the same. You don't remove all the bacteria anyway, and you wouldn't want to. I usually drink water before I get up to get rid of the horrible dry morning feeling, but even if i don't, it makes little difference.
(edited 10 years ago)
I usually brush afterwards, the mixture of crunchy nut and toothpaste doesn't taste nice.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Im before and i was suprised to find that many of my friends do it after breakfast. Why would you want to have breakfast with all that bacteria still in your mouth?
Thats just my opinion though! If you do it after please dont be offended

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's wrong with eating while having 'all that bacteria still in your mouth'? If you're only going to do it once in the morning then it makes loads more sense to do it after breakfast. That way you have clean teeth for the morning until you have lunch.
I use just mouthwash before breakfast to feel a bit fresher, then afterwards I brush my teeth and use mouthwash again. I think I'm a bit odd.
Reply 71
Before. I wake up and I wash up/brush teeth. I only floss/mouth wash after breakfast.
Reply 72
All you people who brush your teeth after because breakfast makes your teeth 'dirty', do you brush after every meal as well?

If not then what makes breakfast so special?
Original post by iamatree
All you people who brush your teeth after because breakfast makes your teeth 'dirty', do you brush after every meal as well?

That would be impractical; breakfast is the only meal which broadly coincides with toothbrushing. I really don't get why you'd brush your teeth only to immediately dirty them again (especially if something like cereal which really can't be good for your teeth considering how it gets stuck into the crannies etc.). Brushing after breakfast means that over the course of the day your teeth spend more time relatively clean.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
After.
Why would you brush it, get it dirty again and then leave it?

If you really are paranoid about having clean teeth while breakfasting then surely you'd do it both before and after?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James A
After.

It saves you having to not go and brush after breakfast (for a second time) and also the taste of your breakfast is not affected.

Honestly don't know why people do it only before.

I found that too. Although if I know I won't be having breakfast for a while I do brush my teeth before. Food is normally one of my priorities in the morning so it's not an issue.
After- makes lot more sense. No point eating just after brushing your teeth.
Reply 77
Brushing your teeth before breakfast is like wiping your ass then taking a cr*p
After - I eat breakfast just after I wake up, so it makes more sense to me. That was also my dentist's advice - and I kinda agree with her. You brush it because you want to have your teeth clean, right?

Original post by iamatree

I rinse my mouth after every meal - brushing my teeth would be quite impractical most of the times.
Reply 79
Before. Bacteria in the mouth builds up at night, so I think it's disgusting to eat straight away without brushing.

Latest