The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I speak for 90% of everyone ever and that you brush your teeth afte breakfast. That's just the way it goes.
Reply 81
Before! I brush my teeth before taking a shower then I get dressed. By the time I'm done, the mint taste that people are talking about is gone and I enjoy my food in peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
before then after
the same for all meals (excl. dinner), so i end up cleaning my teeth five times per day
Original post by Rosaknows
Before. Bacteria in the mouth builds up at night, so I think it's disgusting to eat straight away without brushing.

...why? The bacteria are already in your mouth. I think walking around with your teeth stewing in plaque from your breakfast all morning is more digsuting.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by TritonSails
...why? The bacteria are already in your mouth. I think walking around with your teeth caked in plaque from your breakfast all morning is more digsuting.

Yes, but at night they reproduce constantly, so when you eat in the morning you're basically swallowing all the bacteria. That can be avoided with mouthwash or gum, or even a second brush of the teeth.
Reply 85
Afterwards. Can't really eat anything after brushing my teeth especially when I've used mouthwash (which I do use every time).
Reply 86
I have a drink of water to freshen my mouth, eat my breakfast, then brush my teeth after.
Reply 87
Original post by Secretnerd123
Im before and i was suprised to find that many of my friends do it after breakfast. Why would you want to have breakfast with all that bacteria still in your mouth?
Thats just my opinion though! If you do it after please dont be offended

Posted from TSR Mobile

They should be flossed and brushed after breakfast because then there is less harmful bacteria in your mouth until lunch or later snacks throughout the day! :smile:
If you don't brush your teeth after breakfast, but you do before, you should officially be labeled as a retard.
Original post by miser
I read on the NHS website that brushing before eating is preferable, as having food in your mouth (especially acids, such as in sugars and fruit juice) can soften your teeth's enamel, causing you to reduce the enamel while brushing.

Having a glass of water after your fruit juice will remove any acid left in your mouth.

Also sugars are not acidic?!?

Also a general response. You brush to remove food from your teeth. Brushing does not remove bacteria. Assuming you brush before going to bed there will be no food in your teeth when you wake up... so why brush before eating?
(edited 10 years ago)
After.

Who wants mint favoured toast?
After, definitely! Who would be stupid enough to do it before? Especially if you have cereal, the protein in the milk causes bad breath!
You are supposed to brush your teeth half an hour before eating breakfast, minimum :P
I read a study on it, brushing after you eat can cause you to scrape away layers of softened enamel.
Also, it takes around half an hour for the substances in toothpaste, which protect your enamel (such as fluoride) to bind to your teeth completely. If you brush, then eat 10 minutes later, you are removing the substances which would be protecting your teeth.

That being said, I still brush after I eat, because I'm not the type of person to give myself enough time in the morning to brush, then wait half an hour before having breakfast without being late to college :frown:
Reply 94
I brush about a half hour before I eat (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
I brush my teeth before breakfast so I can get rid of that weird morning taste. Sometimes I brush again after I've had breakfast to get rid of that weird breakfast taste.
Reply 96
After I wake up, the first thing I do is go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I'm surprised how people can do anything else with that horrible smell coming from their mouth. It's so repulsive.
Original post by Roger1
After I wake up, the first thing I do is go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I'm surprised how people can do anything else with that horrible smell coming from their mouth. It's so repulsive.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I brush before breakfast and then rinse mouth with mouthwash after
Afterwards...have you ever had orange juice after brushing your teeth? If you haven't then...don't. Ever.
I don't get morning breath though it's actually quite weird. Not sure if it's normal. All my past boyfriends have commented on how weird it is that I don't smell in the morning. Also about the enamel thing - I'm nearly 21 and have never had a filling, my dentist says my teeth are perfect. So I'm not sure how true that is either, or else I'm just really lucky.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest