The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zamestaneh
I have a have a genuine question about Christianity because I have decided to gain more insight into other religions rather than me speak with conjecture:

Given the abolition of the OT law due to the coming of Jesus (PBUH), were there any laws which remained effective; what is the basis for morality in traditional* Christian understanding? Can morality in the eyes of God change after the time of Jesus, or is it wrong for people to innovate and change laws e.g. age of consent, abortion, homosexuality etc?

*The reason I say 'traditional' because the morals I observe from some (but obviously not all) who claim to be Christians today seem to contradict those of the Christians afore closer to its founding.

Thanks.

laws to do with animal sacrifices and dietary things etc. are not applicable to new testament Christians, correct me if I'm wrong fellow Christians, but the animal sacrifices were a shadow of things to come, the the lamb that the Jews would sacrifice was supposed to represent Jesus Christ who would later be sacrificed for our sins.

I believe civil laws (if that's that's the right term) and death penalties, exile etc still apply today, i.e thou shalt not make cuttings in your flesh/ death penalty for murder, adultery, bestiality etc.

one of the reasons is because when Jesus Christ returns to reign on earth for a millennium, he's not going to use society's method of punishment like prisons, but rather God's law since it is perfect.
I have a have a genuine question about Christianity because I have decided to gain more insight into other religions rather than me speak with conjecture:

Given the abolition of the OT law due to the coming of Jesus (PBUH), were there any laws which remained effective; what is the basis for morality in traditional* Christian understanding? Can morality in the eyes of God change after the time of Jesus, or is it wrong for people to innovate and change laws e.g. age of consent, abortion, homosexuality etc?

*The reason I say 'traditional' because the morals I observe from some (but obviously not all) who claim to be Christians today seem to contradict those of the Christians afore closer to its founding.

Thanks.

The best way to gain insight into Christianity is by studying the life of Jesus. I'd suggest you start by reading the gospels, Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. Look at His teachings, compare them with mohammed if you wish. This will give you a good grounding. God bless
For anyone wishing to gain an insight into the real Islam I'd suggest listening to Christian Prince on YouTube.

He is an Arab Christian so obviously arabic is his first language. He has a degree in Sharia Law.

He reads from the quran as it is, no translations. It's incredible what he reveals, I've learnt so much from him. Everything is backed up with visible evidence and the muslim callers who ring him up to discuss there book cannot defend the actions of mohammed. Many muslims are leaving Islam daily.

Thanks.

The Mosaic law wasn’t abolished by Jesus, it was fulfilled- in fact Jesus says this in Matthew 5:17- which means that we are no longer under the law but under the law of Christ instead. The difference is that to abolish the law would mean to render it invalid, to render it wrong and unnecessary. But the law was necessary, it was needed to preserve the status of the Israelites and set them apart from the Gentiles. It has simply now served its purpose. By fulfilling the law (Jesus did this by living by the law, teaching it and in his sacrificial death) the law has served its purpose and Christians are not under the law but under a new law, the law of Christ.

The law of Christ is to love God and love our neighbour, so everything that a Christian does or avoids doing is to do these two things. Christians look to the moral laws of the OT and look to the life of Jesus and his teachings to learn how to love God and love our neighbours. For example, Jesus taught against murder, which includes abortion since Christians believe life begins at the point of conception, and taught that marriage was between a man and a woman.

Christians usually separate the Old Testament laws into moral and ceremonial laws. The moral laws are followed, the ceremonial ones (such as wearing certain fabrics, not making anointing oil) are not because we don’t believe that they help us to love God or love our neighbour. For example, Jesus says in Matthew 15:11 that it is not what we put in our mouths that defiles us but what comes out (i.e. what we say), so the dietary requirements of the OT don’t apply, but we do need to watch what we say.

One thing that I would caution against doing is learning Christianity based on the actions of Christians. Christians are not perfect, and we often don’t know the Bible and often don’t live according to Christ’s example. Christianity can only be learnt by learning the Bible. I would argue this should be the case for all religions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Today was awesome at Church!. I thank God for His resurrection power, His grace, His might. etc, I could go on. God is too good. Thank you Jesus.
hope everyone had a lovely easter, jesus has risen:smile:
have signed up to do a christian apologetics course at my church which'll be over october- close to mocks but i know god will lead me through it all :smile:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
have signed up to do a christian apologetics course at my church which'll be over october- close to mocks but i know god will lead me through it all :smile:

:yep:
Original post by RazzzBerries
:yep:

prsom:hugs:

Sounds great. Do you ever listen to any Christian apologetics on YouTube?
Original post by Racoon
Sounds great. Do you ever listen to any Christian apologetics on YouTube?

no, do you recommend anyone? :smile:
no, do you recommend anyone? :smile:

Living Waters
Acts 17 Apologetics
Cross Examined (excellent one)
The Arabian Prophet (useful in learning how to tackle Muslims dawah (in other words their evangelism), which deals in untruths and falsehood) The Arabrian Prophet is an Arab so speaks and reads Arabic as his first language. He is also a Christian and he tells you exactly what the Quran says, not the watered down translations but the real one. You will discover it is a violent hedonistic cult.
I also watch SOCO films but it's very shouty
Original post by Racoon
Living Waters
Acts 17 Apologetics
Cross Examined (excellent one)
The Arabian Prophet (useful in learning how to tackle Muslims dawah (in other words their evangelism), which deals in untruths and falsehood) The Arabrian Prophet is an Arab so speaks and reads Arabic as his first language. He is also a Christian and he tells you exactly what the Quran says, not the watered down translations but the real one. You will discover it is a violent hedonistic cult.
I also watch SOCO films but it's very shouty

thank you!
At church yesterday, a man said that true forgiveness restores the level of intimacy you once had - it's not just being civil to whoever hurt you. For example, God has forgiven us for our sins, He could just as easily have let us into heaven without an intimate relationship with Him, but He does way more than that, and we get to experience union with Him.

I appreciate this isn't always possible, but it's certainly food for thought!
Original post by Jess_x
At church yesterday, a man said that true forgiveness restores the level of intimacy you once had - it's not just being civil to whoever hurt you. For example, God has forgiven us for our sins, He could just as easily have let us into heaven without an intimate relationship with Him, but He does way more than that, and we get to experience union with Him.

I appreciate this isn't always possible, but it's certainly food for thought!

that's interesting 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending