The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Welcome everyone! This is TSR's Christian chat and fellowship thread - not for theological discussion - please go to the 'Ask' thread for that :yep:

New members always welcome - just introduce yourselves and go with the flow :yep:

:jebus: :angel: :jebus:

WARNING! GLITTER OVERLOAD INSIDE!

Mod Edit: As always, this thread is for informal chit-chat, it is not for debating. If you wish to ask questions, go to the Ask A Christian thread, if you wish to debate something, check for an appropriate thread in the main forum or start one yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

*waves* :party:
Reply 2
Original post by fluteflute

:hi: welcome to our shiny new home :h: :ahee:
O HAI THERE :awesome: :party: :yay:

:jebus: :jebus: :jebus:

:angel:
Who are all of you people and why are there so many smileys?!

:wavey:
Original post by Mazzini
:hi: welcome to our shiny new home :h: :ahee:

Let's all head out to IKEA and choose some furniture...
I like the new thread name, btw :smile:

Now to get Cath Soc onto a new thread by spamming thousands of posts :colone:

Original post by chickenonsteroids

:colonhash:

:teehee:
I approve of the star wars style title now you're on to the episodes that we can acknowledge to have happened :yep:
Well hey there lovely peoples. :biggrin:

:yay:

Mazz, add the praying kitten! :awesome:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tasha96

Well hello there my wee lassie! :lovehug: :jumphug: :gah:
Reply 11
Hello :smile:
Original post by AspiringMedic8

Original post by Alice_95

Glad you both found us :biggrin: :hi: :yay:
Reply 13
I don't think that's necessarily incompatible, but ultimately I suppose that's less important than whether a Catholic feels they could sign it.

I think her point was that there are times where Priests are direct mediators, as in the example of Confession. Agreeing to f would suggest that you didn't believe in the sacrament of confession.

Thanks for responding so straightforwardly! :smile: Clearly both are very interesting (and important) issues, though I don't think James 2:24 proves that "faith alone" is wrong :wink:

I'm not saying it does, just sharing a Biblical basis for it:wink:

On a slightly wider point, would most Catholics subscribe to the more fundamental desire of Christian Unions: to see evangelism/mission happening?

Not at all in the same way as CUs tend to go about it. Catholics tend to be more of a "Hey, this is happening, do you fancy coming along?" type.
Having said that, evangelisation is becoming a bigger thing. One of the current major things going on in the Church is the "New evangelisation". - The idea being that traditionally mission and 'bringing the word of God' to people has taken place overseas, but it's time that we start looking at what's going on in first world countries again. So many people have misconceptions, or even very little idea of what religion is about, and it's time to start sharing.

You get places like SPES (St Patrick's Evangelisation School), which is based in Soho, where the students are taught about the faith, with an emphasis on mission through helping - so they have a soup kitchen they help out at etc.
There are also events like Spirit in the City. This involves street evangelisation (although it seemed to be run in quite a different way to what I've experienced from speaking to evangelicals), Marian and Eucharisition processions through the streets of the West End, talks and on the final day, a festival in Leicester Square. I went last year, and it was really good fun. I was ill this year though, so I didn't go :sad:

WRT the street evangelisation, the main difference seemed to be the approach. Ours was about letting the people we spoke to bring the conversation round to God, whereas evangelicals seem to have a specific aim from the conversation which they don't like to veer away from. We let them lead the conversation, whereas when I've spoken to evangelicals, it's very much them leading the conversation.
Reply 14
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
O HAI THERE :awesome: :party: :yay:

:jebus: :jebus: :jebus:

:angel:

:teehee: hi :h: :party:

Original post by chickenonsteroids

:hmmm: :colonhash: :tongue:

Bagsie a high sleeper :colone:

I like the new thread name, btw :smile:

Now to get Cath Soc onto a new thread by spamming thousands of posts :colone:

:woo: :teehee: :colone:

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I approve of the star wars style title now you're on to the episodes that we can acknowledge to have happened :yep:

I thank you :ninja:

Original post by tasha96

Mazz, add the praying kitten! :awesome:

:hi:

Will do :yep:
Reply 15
I took so long writing that out that the thread closed in the meantime!

O u gais...
Reply 16

If we're getting new furniture, can we have holy water by the entrance, or would that be against ecumenism?
Original post by Aula

O u gais...

:colondollar: :ninja: :getmecoat:

Edit: if we're getting holy water, can we have a Sparkly Jesus? :gah:
Reply 18
Original post by Alice_95

:hello: welcome to Mk IV :h:

Original post by Aula

O u gais...

I took so long writing out the multiquote above that loads of new posts had been made by the time I posted it :tongue:

Original post by Aula
If we're getting new furniture, can we have holy water by the entrance, or would that be against ecumenism?

:dontknow: but I don't mind :nah: :biggrin:

:colondollar: :ninja: :getmecoat:

Edit: if we're getting holy water, can we have a Sparkly Jesus? :gah:

:gah: :yep: :gah:
New thread!

Continuing from the discussion about evangelism, one issue I had with my CU was that they constantly made me feel really bad about not evangelising very much. I was a very new Christian, had only been going to church for a couple of months, and had no church background so I was still very much in a process of learning, and they'd basically have a go at me for not being 'confident' in my belief, which was really not very helpful!

You sound like a great CU person :smile: I wish people at my uni were as open as you are! They're basically completely uninterested in non-CU Christian and more or less disregard them as heretics (using that actual word) :s-smilie:

Quick Reply