600+ 4%
625+ 1%
650+ 4%
675+ 13%
700+ 24%
725+ 22%
750+32%
Total votes: 82
Hey HYMS hopefuls, thought I'd start this thread and get things going. HYMS policy has changed from what I heard, compared to last year. They seem like an affable down to earth place, great environment to study medicine. Don't know much about PBL but I can see the ups and downs of it. Check out their website for the new procedure: http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/our-applications-process/our-selection-procedure Otherwise post any questions and look forward to chatting later on in the cycle! Good luck :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PG593
Hey HYMS hopefuls, thought I'd start this thread and get things going. HYMS policy has changed from what I heard, compared to last year. They seem like an affable down to earth place, great environment to study medicine. Don't know much about PBL but I can see the ups and downs of it. Check out their website for the new procedure: http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/our-applications-process/our-selection-procedure Otherwise post any questions and look forward to chatting later on in the cycle! Good luck :tongue:

hey i'm considering applying here...I got 10A* at gcse and AAABB and a D2 in global perspectives Cambridge Pre-U(which they seem to consider?). Haven't done my ukcat yet but just wondering how much emphasis they put on AS grades as mine aren't that great :frown: btw one of the Bs is in biology and the other is further maths. Also will I get any credit for doing the Cambridge Pre-U? they have mentioned it on their entry requirements website but i'm not sure how they assess it when your doing it alongside A-levels...
Reply 2
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
hey i'm considering applying here...I got 10A* at gcse and AAABB and a D2 in global perspectives Cambridge Pre-U(which they seem to consider?). Haven't done my ukcat yet but just wondering how much emphasis they put on AS grades as mine aren't that great :frown: btw one of the Bs is in biology and the other is further maths. Also will I get any credit for doing the Cambridge Pre-U? they have mentioned it on their entry requirements website but i'm not sure how they assess it when your doing it alongside A-levels...

Hey there, I'm not entirely sure on the Cambridge Pre-U, I'd suggest ringing them to know for sure, the admissions lady there is very friendly. Regarding A levels, even though you got a B in biology and further maths, it should be fine provided your grade predictions match their AAA offer. Having said that, invitation to interview is based on your UKCAT and your UCAS Form (PS, Reference, grade predictions, GCSEs), however if your UKCAT is 2800+ you get an automatic interview as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements.
Reply 3
I got 2950 in my UKCAT, which I'm very happy with, but my AS results aren't as good:
A in Maths,
A in Biology,
B in Chemistry,
C in Physics.

I plan to drop Physics, and I think I can get AAA predictions. However, I think HYMS wants another B at AS. I'm also doing Further Maths, but I haven't got my AS result for it, because I think that I get both the AS and the A2 next year. Is HYMS likely to accept me, if I can get the FM predicted to a B?
Reply 4
Original post by Dargien
I got 2950 in my UKCAT, which I'm very happy with, but my AS results aren't as good:
A in Maths,
A in Biology,
B in Chemistry,
C in Physics.

I plan to drop Physics, and I think I can get AAA predictions. However, I think HYMS wants another B at AS. I'm also doing Further Maths, but I haven't got my AS result for it, because I think that I get both the AS and the A2 next year. Is HYMS likely to accept me, if I can get the FM predicted to a B?

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure medical schools don't consider further maths and maths as 2 separate A levels. I think as long as you are predicted AAA on the others ( especially for Chem and Bio) you should be fine. Congrats on your UKCAT :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Dargien
A in Maths,
A in Biology,
B in Chemistry,
C in Physics.

According to their selection criteria they do require the 4th AS subject to be a B, if i were you i would retake the module needed to upgrade your AS grade to a B.
http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/before-you-apply/entry-requirements

Also there is an email that you can contact someone on the admissions who can better inform you, its always best to be careful as medical schools are VERY selective and they WILL have MANY candidates applying with ALL 'A' grades at AS. [email protected]

Best of luck :smile: !
Reply 6
Original post by MTW47
Good advice, last year they had an incredible number of people who applied who didn't meet the minimum criteria and were rejected straight off:frown:. So it was just a wasted choice for them

Thank you and yes of course, i read somewhere online a while back that one of the main reasons why people get rejected from med schools is applying to places where their strenghts are not taken into consideration. For example loads of people applying to Kings when they do not have a really strong GCSE/AS profile even though they have a high ukcat score or people with high academics but low ukcat scores applying to ukcat hungry unis when they should be applying to birmingham, liverpool and bristol. Its really a shame really. How are you enjoying medical school in HYMS ? One of my best friends is going to be a final year there coming this Sept.
Reply 7
Original post by MTW47
I think it was more basic mistakes at HYMS like not doing biology to A2 or not having the required GCSE grades for maths and English etc!!! Got early offer at HYMS but decided to go for Leeds in the end, but it was a tough decision to make. :smile:

Wow that's fantastic! I find it interesting how they ask for both Maths and English at grade A where as most places ask for a grade B but it must be because it is quite a popular med school. All the best with the rest of your studies :smile:.
Reply 8
guys, do you know if HYMS look at the personal statement and reference prior to the interview. I rang them up and they said my UKCAT score was good enough to gain an interview but I'm not sure when they review the rest of the application. I'm a graduate by the way applying for the 5 year course.
Reply 9
Original post by lilmissA
According to their selection criteria they do require the 4th AS subject to be a B, if i were you i would retake the module needed to upgrade your AS grade to a B.
http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/before-you-apply/entry-requirements

Also there is an email that you can contact someone on the admissions who can better inform you, its always best to be careful as medical schools are VERY selective and they WILL have MANY candidates applying with ALL 'A' grades at AS. [email protected]

Best of luck :smile: !

I emailed them, and they said that my application would be considered, as long as I made it clear that my Further Maths result was pending, and then I'd obtaining a B would be part of any offer made.
Reply 10
Hey everyone - I'm starting at hyms this September, I know the application process has changed a lot since last year but if there are any specific questions about applying to medical school and hyms then let me know - and best of luck to everyone! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
hey i'm considering applying here...I got 10A* at gcse and AAABB

Hey! I got AAABB at AS and they still gave me and interview and an offer, it shouldn't be any problem at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tntech
Hey! I got AAABB at AS and they still gave me and interview and an offer, it shouldn't be any problem at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh that's a relief to hear! :P I was really worried about the B in biology...I'm likely to get predicted A*AAA...what did you get predicted and how did you do in you ukcat?
Reply 13
I was predicted and got A*AA, 667.5 average in the UKCAT :smile:
Considering HYMS, although a UKCAT of 2700 isn't exactly promising :colondollar:
Original post by MTW47
That's a great score, last year I got less than that and got 15 points but got an interview and an early off. If your ps is good you will be fine. Remember not many people will be getting 25 points.:biggrin:

Thank you :smile: do you know how exactly the award marks on the PS and what sorts of things to include?

Oh and well done on the offer :smile: are you going there this September?
Reply 16
Was going to say, better than my score:P if everything else is good you stand a brilliant chance:smile:
Original post by tntech
Was going to say, better than my score:P if everything else is good you stand a brilliant chance:smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm just a bit wary because they don't interview that many applicants
Reply 18
Hey guys!
I'll be starting at Hull York (York campus) this September so if anyone has any questions feel free to quote/PM me :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Considering HYMS, although a UKCAT of 2700 isn't exactly promising :colondollar:

2700 will be fine! I got exactly the same score as you last year and got an offer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending