The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2014 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hi! I don't really consider myself a mature student, I'm 22, but universities think otherwise. I have a Psychology Degree and realised at the end that I would much prefer Nursing.

Applied for Child Nursing at:
Southampton (preferred choice. I'm local.)
Bournemouth (where I graduated last time. Easy to get to by train.)
Brighton
Surrey
City (London)

I also have A-Levels in Psychology, Law and History. A random ICT qualification and 10 GCSE's.

Fingers crossed I get into Southampton. I've been told my degree makes up for not getting high enough A-Levels so we'll see.
Original post by Grandjany
Congratulations!!! Good luck!
I got an email to say they are still considering medicine applications and will make a decision about inviting candidates to interview once the BMAT (admissions test) results are released, which is on the 27th. My BMAT was the stuff of nightmares so I'm feeling a bit dejected!

A friend of mine did it and said he felt the same also. And that two girls that did it with him walked out crying even though they already had 2A's 2 A*'s at A-Level each!
Reply 182
Original post by Bright_blonde
A friend of mine did it and said he felt the same also. And that two girls that did it with him walked out crying even though they already had 2A's 2 A*'s at A-Level each!

Aww :frown: I think a lot of people found it hard (mainly because it was..!).
My preparation was far from ideal as well, I have to stay away a lot with work so it was mostly done in a travelodge in the evenings - hope it's not the deciding factor but doesn't sound too promising. At least my other choices don't require it!!
Thank you!!! I got invited for interview, 17/12/13!!! Nervous! When is yours??

Well done!!! You're there on the same day I am :wink: Let's hope it's decent weather for us, eh?!
Original post by sunnysideup12
Well done!!! You're there on the same day I am :wink: Let's hope it's decent weather for us, eh?!

Oh really?? Are you at Lucy? What time are your interviews?? Have you got any ideas of what your topics for discussion will be??
Oh really?? Are you at Lucy? What time are your interviews?? Have you got any ideas of what your topics for discussion will be??

I'm at Wolfson - sorry for the confusion!! By "there" I meant Cambridge :smile:

My essay is at 2pm (lasting an hour plus extra time for health reasons) and my interviews are at 3.15pm and 4pm. What about you? What times are yours?

I've mentioned LOADS of areas in Psychology in various bits of my application so I think it'll probably be one of those up for discussion in interview. I mentioned Psycholinguistics, Social Psychology, Empathy and Theory of Mind, Biopsychology, Emotions... Plus they asked for all my Psychology A Level modules so could be anything really!!

No clue about what on earth they could ask in the essay, though. I'm mostly just revising everything I know so that I can apply it to whatever I'm asked (twist it to suit.) How are you preparing for the essay exam?! It's so difficult to prepare for!
Reply 186
This is a great thread. Thank you for starting it.:smile:

1. I was studying English at the university.
2.I am going to apply to the Courtauld.
3.I am going to study Art history
4. I am an international student. I am looking for a fellow mature student (or students) to make friends with and to stay in touch during the application process.
Original post by ADAOBI123
Wow. You have a lot coming your way !! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't do so great haha! Got a pass in my psychology but I got DDD on my Study Skills ^-^
Still a fair few to come though :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Portia1993
Didn't do so great haha! Got a pass in my psychology but I got DDD on my Study Skills ^-^
Still a fair few to come though :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh shame ! Don't worry though you've still got other assignments to help boost your grades up ! :smile:

Well done in your study skills !!
Hi I am on my second year doing BTEC EXT DIP, I have applied to Hallam, Salford, MMU, Derby, Nottingham for Adult Nursing to start 2014. It is hard work but we will solder on and get to the end, with children tagging along. I am in Buxton aged 36 for now ha ha ha

I'm at Wolfson - sorry for the confusion!! By "there" I meant Cambridge :smile:

My essay is at 2pm (lasting an hour plus extra time for health reasons) and my interviews are at 3.15pm and 4pm. What about you? What times are yours?

I've mentioned LOADS of areas in Psychology in various bits of my application so I think it'll probably be one of those up for discussion in interview. I mentioned Psycholinguistics, Social Psychology, Empathy and Theory of Mind, Biopsychology, Emotions... Plus they asked for all my Psychology A Level modules so could be anything really!!

No clue about what on earth they could ask in the essay, though. I'm mostly just revising everything I know so that I can apply it to whatever I'm asked (twist it to suit.) How are you preparing for the essay exam?! It's so difficult to prepare for!

I think that my Ps is a lot more raw than yours, I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not :-/
in my personal statement I've spoken about obedience within sales, phantom limbs and neuroscience, and then also sex offenders in my saq. Then I've mentioned them again in my Essay in relation to early attachment. I used to be a copper, so I've been warned that I will get quizzed on that a lot.
im not too sure if you saw but I was told that a exam type question that I was told was 'is identity a misconception in today's society'......
My interviews are 9-9.30 then 9.45-10.15 I believe with written interview at 2.
I'm staying overnight the night before. Are you??
Also apologies for the appalling grammar in my posts. My phone hates TSR with a passion. I am literate! Promise!
I think that my Ps is a lot more raw than yours, I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not :-/
in my personal statement I've spoken about obedience within sales, phantom limbs and neuroscience, and then also sex offenders in my saq. Then I've mentioned them again in my Essay in relation to early attachment. I used to be a copper, so I've been warned that I will get quizzed on that a lot.
im not too sure if you saw but I was told that a exam type question that I was told was 'is identity a misconception in today's society'......
My interviews are 9-9.30 then 9.45-10.15 I believe with written interview at 2.
I'm staying overnight the night before. Are you??

What do you mean by raw? I mentioned things within those categories rather than the categories themselves, just didn't want to bore the thread with specifics!! (I was possibly over detailed on my ps!)

We've definitely covered entirely different aspects of psychology in our applications then, I think that just demonstrates what a wide field it is! How long were you a copper for?

I did see that, if I got something like that I think I could manage :smile: Just worried in case it's something I know nothing about / I draw a major blank! Guess that would be the time to waffle :wink:

I'm staying the night after my exam rather than the night before. I live in South Wales so didn't fancy travelling home in the dark. Where are you travelling from?

And don't worry!! I write on a tablet and I'm constantly battling with autocorrect haha. Technology is not the friend of spelling and grammar!

What do you mean by raw? I mentioned things within those categories rather than the categories themselves, just didn't want to bore the thread with specifics!! (I was possibly over detailed on my ps!)

We've definitely covered entirely different aspects of psychology in our applications then, I think that just demonstrates what a wide field it is! How long were you a copper for?

I did see that, if I got something like that I think I could manage :smile: Just worried in case it's something I know nothing about / I draw a major blank! Guess that would be the time to waffle :wink:

I'm staying the night after my exam rather than the night before. I live in South Wales so didn't fancy travelling home in the dark. Where are you travelling from?

And don't worry!! I write on a tablet and I'm constantly battling with autocorrect haha. Technology is not the friend of spelling and grammar!

Raw - Erm as in I knew/still don't know too much about Psychology in general so it's a bit hit and miss. I've actually spoken about the psychology of dentistry as well as it's a field I've sort of worked. I really hope that doesn't come up.

I was a police officer for around 18 months. When I was 19 ish, massive eye opener!

I am travelling from Hampshire, so about 3 hours in good traffic!!

Maybe our written question will be something like 'with new technology will grammar and spelling be forgotten' if it is we will have LOADS to write ;-)
Reply 194
Is anyone applying for an art history degree?
Raw - Erm as in I knew/still don't know too much about Psychology in general so it's a bit hit and miss. I've actually spoken about the psychology of dentistry as well as it's a field I've sort of worked. I really hope that doesn't come up.

I was a police officer for around 18 months. When I was 19 ish, massive eye opener!

I am travelling from Hampshire, so about 3 hours in good traffic!!

Maybe our written question will be something like 'with new technology will grammar and spelling be forgotten' if it is we will have LOADS to write ;-)

Ahhh right, I get you! I'm sure you're putting yourself down though as it was obviously good enough for Cambridge to give you an interview :smile: Which isn't something everyone can say! I've spread myself over a bit too many subjects I fear, worrying now which of them they'll ask me about! Too many to revise thoroughly; I'll have to rely on prior knowledge I think. Which is a bit nerve wracking!

The psychology of dentistry is definitely not something I'd ever thought about before! It's better to be interesting and different than cookie cutter and from the sounds of it your application was definitely different; got to work in your favour.

I used to live in Hampshire! Yeah, is still a bit of a drive for you, though so understandable why you're staying over! I've got to go up to Birmingham and then across, so a night staying over is pretty much required.

If you've answered before I'm sorry but I've got the memory of a sieve... have you visited Lucy before? It's sooo lovely, I almost applied there but it was the single sex thing that just put me off. (Although I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered if I actually went! Just never been single sex before so it was totally out of my realm of experience.) Everyone there, including the porters, is completely lovely. There's a really quaint little pub right on the corner, too!

If that is the title I will DIE laughing!!! :wink: I'm doing an English Language A Level so there is a chance I might have something like that this summer!
Reply 196
Edit - I've got an interview! 12th Dec!
(edited 10 years ago)
My college sent my application off on Thursday evening, already had three offers!!!

Had offers from Liverpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores and Manchester Met (which has always been my first choice!)

Just waiting on Chester (second choice) and Leicester to get back to me now so I can start replying to offers!

Didn't realise it would all happen so quickly!

:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Samuel1988
My college sent my application off on Thursday evening, already had three offers!!!

Had offers from Liverpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores and Manchester Met (which has always been my first choice!)

Just waiting on Chester (second choice) and Leicester to get back to me now so I can start replying to offers!

Didn't realise it would all happen so quickly!

:biggrin:

Congratulations !! Which course ? :smile:
Can I join the thread?

I'm 32, already a graduate (Arabic in 2005) and am currently applying for graduate-entry medicine at Southampton, Warwick, Kings College London and Queen Mary University London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending