The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2014 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bright_blonde
Ouch! ;-) brain to keyboard filter not working today. Made me chuckle!

Have I really phrased it so badly? :tongue:
What I tried to say is that I think I'm quite stupid. So, I can't imagine the quality of those that got rejected (for my course + college). If I'm stupid, then in theory they must be even worse?

:eek:

And because *i* got accepted, it makes me feel doubtful as to the prestige of the university.
It's like the old joke: "I don't want to be part of any club that would have me as a member".
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gouratiltzen

It's not that you phrased it badly. It's the (hopefully unintended) insult to people reading this thread whose applications have been declined.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
It's not that you phrased it badly. It's the (hopefully unintended) insult to people reading this thread whose applications have been declined.

Hmm, interesting. I don't see any insult there, so it seems as though people are reading it in a different way.

Ah well. :tongue:
Original post by gouratiltzen
What I tried to say is that I think I'm quite stupid. So, I can't imagine the quality of those that got rejected (for my course + college). If I'm stupid, then in theory they must be even worse?

:eek:

And because *i* got accepted, it makes me feel doubtful as to the prestige of the university.
It's like the old joke: "I don't want to be part of any club that would have me as a member".

I do see where you are coming from - but what you are saying is that everyone that got rejected is more stupid than you.... And that the quality must have been poor.

I honestly didn't take offence but did read it twice..... I assume it's because of your stupidity that you wrote it ;-)
I assume it's because of your stupidity that you wrote it ;-)

Surely that's why.

It seems rational to assume I was stronger than those that got rejected. If I am weak, they are probably weaker. Perhaps my choice of words could have been kinder. :tongue:
What are you currently studying/have studied.
Currently doing an access course full time. Studying English, IT, psychology, sociology and history.

Which universities are you applying to.
South bank, greenwich, east london, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield hallam

Which course(s) do you want to do.
When I started my course I was planning on applying for primary education but after a month of lessons I realised I had fallen in love with psychology, so decided that was the course for me.

Any other info you feel like sharing.
Got two conditional others so far
Greenwich 30 merits
South bank 24 merits
Was it 45 or 60 credits??
Are you at Cambridge now? What's it like?

60/60 credits at distinction. Yep, I'm at Lucy Cavendish, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the work :smile: The city itself is taking a bit of adjusting to though, as it isn't as friendly as the place I moved from, and is insanely busy during term time!
Original post by sunnysideup12

Are you still waiting to hear which college has fished you? It might be Wolfson!

Hey!! Yes still waiting!!! I hope it's Wolfson! Hell who am I kidding.... The porters lodge could offer me a position and I'd take it!!!
If it's Wolfson and I meet my offer you'll be stuck with me!!!
What offer did they make you?? And when did you find out also??
And how?!

I know! Wouldn't it be weird to meet in person!! Ahhhh how great would it be if we both got and met our offers?! I'm freaking out now that I'll not get mine and will have to go somewhere else. My offer is a bit weird as I've already got 1 A Level!

I found out on Tuesday by post :biggrin: Received an email a few hours later though with the same info!

Original post by ADAOBI123
Its going okay thanks. I've received one offer so far and I have an interview for kings soon. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's amazing :biggrin: Well done! Best of luck for your interview, I hope it goes really well.
Original post by sunnysideup12
My offer is a bit weird as I've already got 1 A Level!

Sorry to butt into your conversation, but my offer is weird too!
I've got an offer for A*AA, with no specifics other than it can't include general studies (which I wasn't taking anyway!).
I have an A* already from last year that I completed early. I need to email to clarify whether I can include that one or not. What A level do you have already and when did you take it?

...I also have A levels from years ago at grade A. So technically I've already met the offer, but I think that would be too good to be true! :tongue:
I applied to Hughes Hall at Cambridge. They sent my SAQ yesterday, does anyone know if there is a deadline for completing it? Just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Missmoose
I applied to Hughes Hall at Cambridge. They sent my SAQ yesterday, does anyone know if there is a deadline for completing it? Just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should say on the email, or on the website maybe under Application and Deadlines :-/ good luck - must be weird seeing all of us getting our results now!!
Reply 391
I wish I could just hear from my two choices, I rang admissions at Northumbria and the lady sounded cheesed off!
It should say on the email, or on the website maybe under Application and Deadlines :-/ good luck - must be weird seeing all of us getting our results now!!

No, it doesn't say anywhere. The deadline's March anyway so I'll just aim to finish it in the next week or so. Not really to be honest, I'll be much more prepared to have an interview in April. Cambridge isn't the be all and end all, I'd be as happy to go to one of my other choices. Having friends and relatives who are Cambridge graduates, I know that just the name does not get you everywhere in life. Whilst I'm sure it would be a great experience, university is what you make of it. I already have offers at other (decent) universities which is maybe why I'm more relaxed about it all.
Original post by Missmoose
No, it doesn't say anywhere. The deadline's March anyway so I'll just aim to finish it in the next week or so. Not really to be honest, I'll be much more prepared to have an interview in April. Cambridge isn't the be all and end all, I'd be as happy to go to one of my other choices. Having friends and relatives who are Cambridge graduates, I know that just the name does not get you everywhere in life. Whilst I'm sure it would be a great experience, university is what you make of it. I already have offers at other (decent) universities which is maybe why I'm more relaxed about it all.

That's a really good way to think about it. If you want to do postgrad study then where you did your undergrad or even what your undergrad was in becomes so much less relevant.

When I did the SAQ I think the deadline was 1 week from the date you received it, with a hard deadline for everyone who received it later.
I've posted in the Cambridge thread but not here so thought I would pop in to say that Lucy Cavendish have only gone and made me an offer for PBS!!!

Sunnysideup! I won't be at Wolfson with you but hopefully will see you at lectures and we really should make a point of all the TSR mature students getting together.... Do we all have Offer holders days on the same date!

God I am so shocked stunned and delighted. All my friends at college were so worried because I wasn't bouncing off the walls in my normal style because I simply can't believe it.
My Psych teacher was nearly in tears as was my head of access.... And I got a round of applause when it was 'announced'. Utterly humiliating. I hate that sort of thing!!

But well done to everyone. The whole process I was told how much guts I had applying, and whilst anticipating a rejection I held onto that thought.... And I still do now!!

Well done everyone no matter what the outcome!
Congratulations Bright_Blonde. That's brilliant news. :biggrin:
Reply 396
I've posted in the Cambridge thread but not here so thought I would pop in to say that Lucy Cavendish have only gone and made me an offer for PBS!!!

Sunnysideup! I won't be at Wolfson with you but hopefully will see you at lectures and we really should make a point of all the TSR mature students getting together.... Do we all have Offer holders days on the same date!

God I am so shocked stunned and delighted. All my friends at college were so worried because I wasn't bouncing off the walls in my normal style because I simply can't believe it.
My Psych teacher was nearly in tears as was my head of access.... And I got a round of applause when it was 'announced'. Utterly humiliating. I hate that sort of thing!!

But well done to everyone. The whole process I was told how much guts I had applying, and whilst anticipating a rejection I held onto that thought.... And I still do now!!

Well done everyone no matter what the outcome!

What a lovely post! Congrats again!

And YES to the tsr mature students meet up thing :biggrin:
Reply 397
Congratulations! That's fantastic!
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Congratulations Bright_Blonde. That's brilliant news. :biggrin:

Thank you :-)
How is your application going?
Original post by Grandjany
What a lovely post! Congrats again!

And YES to the tsr mature students meet up thing :biggrin:

Woooohhhh!!!!!