The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2014 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grandjany
oh no! is there any way you could shuffle your classes around so you have some free days to stay at home and study?

Sadly not :frown: The only thing college are suggesting is a few tutorials to look and my situation but I can't get to them because I'm stuck at home ill haha! There's no logic with my college!
Also don't think they realise I'm trying my best under the circumstances, but I just keep getting told it's not good enough *sigh*
Original post by Bright_blonde
Are you doing medicine?

Nope, natural sciences :smile:
Original post by Ranibizumab
Nope, natural sciences :smile:

Aaah okay! What are you hoping to do t'other end of it?
Hello everyone,

I'm also applying to study psychology from Sept as a mature student (34).

I did Psychology, Sociology and General Studies A-levels 16 years ago (got BBC, which was low for various reasons). Went back to studying in 2009 with the OU and have also done some counselling qualifications. Have already done the first year of the Psych degree with the OU but I really want the benefit of being able to study with others as i have spent most of the past two years at home alone recovering from M.E!

Have applied to Bath, Bristol and Bath Spa (back up choice). Really pleased to have been invited to interview at Bristol but Bath would be my first choice because of the placement and option to do the MSci. Bath requested proof of my qualifications in Dec but nothing since :-(

Well done all of your that have offers - must be a huge relief!
What have you studied: BA (Hons) Sport Management 2:1 - University of Wolverhampton
Which universities are you applying to - (KCL, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield (Unconditional Offer), Leeds)
Which course(s) do you want to do - Law
Any other info you feel like sharing - I'm 27 year old international student from Singapore, started a business after graduating. Money is not too bad but feel that Law has better prospects in the long run.
Original post by Bright_blonde
Aaah okay! What are you hoping to do t'other end of it?

Cancer research. I'm obsessed with it, to the point where I don't want to do anything else with my life. :redface:

How about you? If I remember correctly you are either PBS or HSPS?
I was transferred to part time today without me having a say in the matter
S'pose I get a shot at uni applications all over again - woo. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
Anyone got any experience commuting from home to unis?
Reply 588
Original post by Portia1993
I was transferred to part time today without me having a say in the matter
S'pose I get a shot at uni applications all over again - woo. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was their reason? Attendance or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kelytha
What was their reason? Attendance or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, really poor attendance because I'm seriously ill. However, I always manage to get amazing grades and none of my work is ever late - Kind of annoying :/
Reply 590
Yeah, really poor attendance because I'm seriously ill. However, I always manage to get amazing grades and none of my work is ever late - Kind of annoying :/

That's really ********ish of them then! I think they should have overlooked your attendance - it's not something you have control over.. And as you said your work is of good quality and it's not late so what's their problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kelytha
That's really ********ish of them then! I think they should have overlooked your attendance - it's not something you have control over.. And as you said your work is of good quality and it's not late so what's their problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really not sure if I should see it as a good thing (less to worry about) or a terrible thing (lose all my friends and I REALLY struggle interacting with new people face-to-face)
At least I get another shot at Cambridge, aye? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
I'm really not sure if I should see it as a good thing (less to worry about) or a terrible thing (lose all my friends and I REALLY struggle interacting with new people face-to-face)
At least I get another shot at Cambridge, aye? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could always appeal on the grounds your grades aren't suffering due to your illness.. But as you said there's less to worry about, and you've got another shot at Cambridge next year! If your heart is set on Cambridge, then one more shot next year can't do any harm!

I think in the end it sounds like a positive, but I don't like that your college made that decision... as your work is fine.. Weird.
Got my first offer today, from Royal Holloway. :yeah:
:party:
Reply 594
Original post by Samual

Congratulations! A friend of mine went there and loved it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samual

Congratulations. :biggrin: I have an interview at Royal Holloway in 3 weeks.
Original post by Samual

Congratulations !! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ranibizumab
Cancer research. I'm obsessed with it, to the point where I don't want to do anything else with my life. :redface:

How about you? If I remember correctly you are either PBS or HSPS?

Ahhh what a worthwhile thing to be obsessed with!!
Yes I'm for PBS! Just gotta get the grades now..... No pressure!
Original post by Samual

Congrats!!! Me too!!! Maybe see you there!!
What are you currently studying/have studied: Currently the ICAEW Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business
Which universities are you applying to: Durham, Manchester, Birmingham, Lancaster and Keele
Which course(s) do you want to do: Earth Sciences/Geology/Geoscience/Planetary Science
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 22, currently working a corporate job but realised that science has always been my passion and I want to pursue a career in some sort of planetary geology type field. I went to uni for a year in 2010 but didn't like my course. It's taken me a while to figure out quite what course is right for me but I think I finally have it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending