The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2014 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Gillybop
similar story to me, I should have studied a science subject years ago, however I wouldn't have been ready for uni, and I wouldn't have seen half the world and had such a good life up til now without working in finance. But now is most definitely the right time.

I take it you're from Australia? I lived in OZ for a year. Based myself in Melbourne, Cheltenham to be exact as I got a decent job with Philip Morris so didn't want to move away. Greatest country on earth IMO.

Hey, we're mature students, surely that's all the badge wee need mate

I'm from Canada (Vancouver). I've never actually been to OZ but think I'd like to visit, despite the beasties! I had come to Scotland a few years back ('07) where I set up base camp for a few months before travelling a lot of Europe. Had a lovely time and really enjoyed the UK. Always wanted to come but you know how life takes over and I made my excuses.

What made you leave OZ? Was it the visa thing? I've heard a lot of great things about that place, who knows when I will end up going now!

*puts on his mature badge*
Reply 781
Original post by sillymoo1990
I had my heart set on Derby. I was offered 2 other interviews, but withdrew from them as soon as I was offered Derby. Its where I originally come from and I am so excited to be going back :smile: Good luck with your next interview

That's brilliant, you've really got exactly what you wanted then. Good luck.
Hi MollyApple! I'm waiting to hear back from Sussex for social work. I noticed Brighton and Sussex share their studentpad and a few other bits of student support. How are you finding their support with housing and other logistics of moving? I'm considering a move from very far away (Durham), and I'm getting twisted round with neighbourhoods/villages within commutable distance of the Sussex campus. I'm also finding the rents to be eye-poppingly high, compared to places like York or Leeds. I really liked Brighton and Sussex, but can't see myself going there without at least some support with finding a place to live. Don't fancy it so much that I'd not mind living in a tent :wink:
What are you currently studying/have studied: currently doing HEFC diploma course, studying Sociology, Psychology & Quantitative Methods. My work history and qualification is in accountancy... decided I wanted to work with people instead of pivot tables.

Which universities are you applying to:
Sussex, Leeds, York, Northumbria, London South Bank. Currently hold offers from Leeds, York, Northumbria. Waiting for Sussex (1 1/2 weeks since interview at this point). Withdrew from South Bank, as they just weren't going to be suitable for me.

Which course(s) do you want to do: BA Social Work. I've volunteered and worked with adults with learning difficulties and with children and families in crisis. Would like to work with young people leaving care or looked-after children, perhaps in a Family Intervention Project. Definitely the children and families side of things.

Any other info you feel like sharing: Excited and nervous about this next step. Mainly can't wait to start planning the next phase of my life. It's been such a long time since I first thought I'd be happier and more fulfilled packing in the accountancy and taking up social work. It took a long time to dismantle the old life and position myself to be able to build the new one... and here I am, at long last!
Reply 784
Original post by Samual
I think we should have a separate thread for mature university applicants using the same format as last year. I'll go first shall I? :shades:

What are you currently studying/have studied
. Currently doing a CertHE Humanities with the Open University
Which universities are you applying to. UCL, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Royal Holloway
Which course(s) do you want to do. Scandinavian Studies, Scandinavian Studies and History, European Studies
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm applying for a deferred entry

I have an HNC social care and have applied to dundee Uni, have been given an unconditional for mental health nursing :smile:
I have firmed Bath and put Loughborough as insurance, both for BSc Psychology with a year placement.
Original post by Millie1986
I have firmed Bath and put Loughborough as insurance, both for BSc Psychology with a year placement.

Congratulations!!! Both awesome Uni's, maybe see you at Bath in September!
Reply 787
What are you currently studying/have studied. Just finished a MA in English Literature with the Open University
Which universities are you applying to. UCL,Cambridge, King's College, London
Which course(s) do you want to do. Part time PhD in English Literature.
Thrilled to have accepted an offer from KLC. Can't wait, but obviously excitement is tinged with some measure of apprehension.
Reply 788
Been rejected everywhere, gutted. Do I just wait for clearing now?
Reply 789
Original post by Northie74

Bad luck - sending big hugs.
I think there's a facility called 'extra', where you can approach another university. I did this with my son, who suddenly wanted to change courses last year. Talk to UCAS about whether it is an option.
Original post by Northie74

Sorry to hear that. You can go through extra though - that is a case of applying for one uni at a time, so go for the one you prefer and go down the list so to speak. You can do a UCAS search and narrow it down to courses in extra, although most still seem to be at this point. Otherwise it is clearing, but try extra first. What subject are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 791
Thank you, I shall try that...
Sorry to hear that. Have you contacted the universities to find out why they rejected you? It might help with your planning if you know the reason. There might be something you can work on, or explain to other universities that you apply to through Extra or Clearing. If you have to reapply next year, you may be able to use the feedback they give you to make a stronger application next time round. Good luck.
Reply 793
Any mature students off to the University of Surrey this september?

I'm 26 and going for an undergrad in Civil Engineering. Literally cannot wait to start. Though I must first get past 6 gruelling exams in the coming months!
Hey everyone - hope you all got the offers you wanted. Just firmed UCL for Norwegian and History. Can't believe I got in, just goes to show that non-standard applicants can get into great universities.
Original post by kingm
Any mature students off to the University of Surrey this september?

I'm 26 and going for an undergrad in Civil Engineering. Literally cannot wait to start. Though I must first get past 6 gruelling exams in the coming months!

Hi I'm not going to surrey but do want to study eng eventually !!

Which exams are u taking, A level or access? I'm doing AS maths this year and start access in Septrmber, can't wait.
Original post by Samual
Hey everyone - hope you all got the offers you wanted. Just firmed UCL for Norwegian and History. Can't believe I got in, just goes to show that non-standard applicants can get into great universities.

Congratulations. I firmed Royal Holloway for Astrophysics yesterday, and put Portsmouth as my insurance. I've been waiting over 6 months for Surrey to respond to my application and finally gave up in disgust and withdrew.
Reply 797
Original post by Samual

Woo well done fellow UCL offer holder! :smile: Are you moving into London or commuting?
Reply 798
Original post by i_never_tried
Hi I'm not going to surrey but do want to study eng eventually !!

Which exams are u taking, A level or access? I'm doing AS maths this year and start access in Septrmber, can't wait.

Nice one. I'm taking A2 further maths and A2 physics this summer - it's been a crazy journey up to this point!

Do you know which uni's you want to attend yet?
Original post by jessology
Woo well done fellow UCL offer holder! :smile: Are you moving into London or commuting?

I'll be moving there. You? Congrats on your offer - what will you be studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending