The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2014 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

**Please note our student ambassadors are using this account to reply to threads!**

Hi, my name is Amy and I have just finished my second year studying Speech and Language Therapy at the University of Reading. I have also just turned 30 years old and went to Reading via an Access Diploma.
I'm happy to chat about my experiences so far as a mature student or answer any questions people may have about going to University as a mature student.
I've certainly enjoyed my time here so far and have made lots of friends
Amy:biggrin:
I went into college today to find out my final results. I have got an overall MERIT! :biggrin:

I am soooooooooooooooo Happy! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

I got 47 Merits 1 Distinction and 12 Passes
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 862
Hi I have an entrance exam with KCC this Tuesday for HE Access Humanties.
I've been out of education for 6 years.
Please could anyone suggest any tests or study to prepare for the assessment or what I should expect?
Any web addresses that have helped you would be greatly appreciated.
I don't want to get rejected. I need to be on the course to get into Sussex Uni by Sept 2015.

All the best, DD
Original post by cyn4psy
Please could anyone suggest any tests or study to prepare for the assessment or what I should expect?
I don't want to get rejected. I need to be on the course to get into Sussex Uni by Sept 2015.

All the best, DD

Just go over GCSE English, literature, grammar, punctuation, poetry, creative writing etc and maybe a bit of intermediate GCSE Maths.
I didn't do anything. I was rejected from the first college for failing the group interview and entrance tests in maths and English. So I went to another and they just let me on no tests or anything. Which makes sense. Because when you've been out of education a long time surely the access course is to teach you the skills you need?
Take a look at the BBC GCSE Bitesize - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/ - for maths revision: it's pitched at about the right level for most Access admission tests. If you want to brush up your grammar for the English test, I recommend practising the exercises on Bristol University's website - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/
My offer from The Uni of Southampton was just made unconditional. I'm so happy right now.
I had to do an English and Maths entrance test, the English one I found ok but bought the following 'teach yourself maths' book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Yourself-Mathematics-Hugh-Neill/dp/0340965118/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406568324&sr=1-6&keywords=teach+yourself+maths

As I couldn't even remember how to do long division or multiplication. I have to say it was really helpful and took me through many different aspects of maths in a step by step basis.

I hope this helps!

Amy Watson
Student Ambassador
Speech and Language Therapy student
Original post by Swordswoman
My offer from The Uni of Southampton was just made unconditional. I'm so happy right now.

congratulations and well done.

just to ask, did you receive an e-mail from ucas with that information?
I am attending as part time mature student , therefore I didn't apply through UCAS but directly to the University . I was later sent a letter from the Uni stating I had an "unconditional offer " .
Original post by Samual
I think we should have a separate thread for mature university applicants using the same format as last year. I'll go first shall I? :shades:

What are you currently studying/have studied
. Currently doing a CertHE Humanities with the Open University
Which universities are you applying to. UCL, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Royal Holloway
Which course(s) do you want to do. Scandinavian Studies, Scandinavian Studies and History, European Studies
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm applying for a deferred entry

BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 in Animal Management
To numerous to mention but got in at Solihull College
Veterinary Nursing
Mental Health Problems
Original post by vox_celeste
congratulations and well done.

just to ask, did you receive an e-mail from ucas with that information?

Thank you :smile:

I received an email from ucas track notifying me that something has changed on my ucas application. I logged in and saw that my offer had been updated to an unconditional.

I hope that helps.
What are you currently studying/have studied. done various computer FE courses and HNC computing
Which universities are you applying to. have applied direct to middlesex uni and am applying through UCAS for university of hertfordshire
Which course(s) do you want to do. computer science
Any other info you feel like sharing. i'm 44 and this is really daunting (cliche i know) but it's over 10yrs since i done my HNC or done any college based study and haven't worked in the field i want to study so not sure how difficult it's going to be to get into uni!
What are you currently studying/have studied I studied Access to HE Science
Which universities are you applying to.
Chester University/Reaseheath
Which course(s) do you want to do.
Animal behaviour and welfare
Any other info you feel like sharing.
I'm 23 and I travelled Australia for a year which made me realise going to uni is what I need to do to have a successful career with animals
Original post by cyn4psy

All the best, DD

Hi I hope you didn't find the entrance exam too stressful. I just had to reply because this was me last year and now I've passed the course with 36 distinctions so I should definitely be going to Sussex uni in September. Best of luck!
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE in Nursing, Midwifery, and Health Related Subjects.

Which universities are you applying to: Coventry (confirmed)

Which course(s) do you want to do: Occupational Therapy

Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 27 and have spent the last 5 years working with special needs children in a respite facility. I feel that a degree in OT would be a natural progression for me. However, feeling somewhat nervous about living in halls!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE in combined Humanities and social studies.
Which universities are you applying to: Sheffield Hallam University (unconditional offer).
Which course(s) do you want to do: Sociology
Any other info you feel like sharing: Not much else to say really, im 25 and can't wait to start uni :smile:
what did you study in humanities?
Reply 878
Original post by Livvy.B
Hi I hope you didn't find the entrance exam too stressful. I just had to reply because this was me last year and now I've passed the course with 36 distinctions so I should definitely be going to Sussex uni in September. Best of luck!

Thank you Livvy B it was good though I got 98% maths they look for English where I made -Level 2 :s-smilie: still I now have an interview tomorrow! woop

What should I expect? I don't want to fail the interview ): so close

Yayh I want to study at Sussex too. Cognitive Science and Philosophy. What are you doing at Sussex? All the best, D
Reply 879
Original post by cyn4psy
Thank you Livvy B it was good though I got 98% maths they look for English where I made -Level 2 :s-smilie: still I now have an interview tomorrow! woop

What should I expect? I don't want to fail the interview ): so close

Yayh I want to study at Sussex too. Cognitive Science and Philosophy. What are you doing at Sussex? All the best, D

and well done on all those distinctions wow! and making sussex now I can see it's possible :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending