The Student Room Group

Which School For Sixth Form

Next year I am hopefully going to be doing A levels but there is two different schools I could go to, the one I've already been at for five years and a different one..

School I currently attend.
subjects: English lit, business studies and applied ict( because of options applied ict is basically a subject I do not want to do and there isn't anything else and I hate coursework)
reasons I should stay on- its familiar to me, I know the teachers and it's in my comfort zone.
reasons I shouldn't stay on- I will only have one friend there and the rest are leaving. Also I'm eager for some sort of change really. And I do not want to do applied ict.

The other school-
subjects- English lit, sociology( didnt take for gcse) and media studies( didnt take for gcse) my school doesn't offer those subjects.
Reasons I should go- a breath of fresh air, a chance to make new friends etc
reasons I shouldn't go- i heard that the media studies teacher isn't ever in the classroom, I haven't done two of the subjects before so I might do badly at them. I want to do an English with creative writing degree
lim also scared about not making friends at a new school and I might get bullied again...
Starting new subjects at A-level is not that hard, plenty of people start at least 1 subject they have not done already at GCSE. 2 may be more of a challenge, but it should not be that hard for you to cope with if you put in the work, and something like media involves a lot of practical work anyway that allows you to pick up skills pretty fast. If you don't want to do applied ICT then you should not do it - at the end of the day if you do not end up enjoying your studies you are not going to get a lot out of 6th form. Likewise, if most of your friends are leaving then you may find that what was once in your 'comfort zone' feels rather less friendly.

Additionally, I should point out that for an English with creative writing degree, the subjects at the new school seem like stronger choices than those at your current school, and thus I would say that all in all the new school seems like the better option. It may be more difficult to make the change, but (and I know this sounds cliched) often times the harder choice ends up being the better choice for you.
Reply 2
I would go for the new school as it offers you the subjects you want to do. By not doing the AS Level courses you want could change your future, so make a fresh start, it is only 2 years then you will be off to university! (this is what my brother tells me!)

I am trying to decide which college to go to and it is hard BUT I have decided I do not want to go to my school sixth form as I want a fresh start and a more college like environment (not school!). My brother did Sociology for A Level and had not done it before and found it fine. Most students haven't done Sociology or Media at GCSE so teachers are used to it. If you put in the effort required (and from my brother's experience it seems like they are MUCH harder than GCSE) and ask for help when you need it, you will be fine!
Reply 3
thank you all very much, I do think the second school is the better option. I'm just worried about making friends and things, it is also difficult to get into

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest