The Student Room Group

Sixth form- where should i go?

Okay so basically I've already got an A* in maths and a B in english language GCSE and my other predictions are As and B's. My school have a sixth form attached but looking at the performance table the sixth form gets an APS of 192.6, where as another sixth form i've applied to gets an APS of 226.0.

The school I currently go to all my friends are going to the sixth form, i know the teachers there etc and I like my school. But the other sixth form i've applied for none of my friends are going there and I have to travel 60 minutes to get there each day while my normal school is 20 mins away. Where should i go? Should i just go to the other sixth form for the better grade or stay at mine because its closer and more familiar, thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by samhelyes
Okay so basically I've already got an A* in maths and a B in english language GCSE and my other predictions are As and B's. My school have a sixth form attached but looking at the performance table the sixth form gets an APS of 192.6, where as another sixth form i've applied to gets an APS of 226.0.

The school I currently go to all my friends are going to the sixth form, i know the teachers there etc and I like my school. But the other sixth form i've applied for none of my friends are going there and I have to travel 60 minutes to get there each day while my normal school is 20 mins away. Where should i go? Should i just go to the other sixth form for the better grade or stay at mine because its closer and more familiar, thanks in advance

Make a pros and cons list
Reply 2
Okay i will, and also, the other sixth form has over 700 students where mine has 140ish. When i went for the interview the other sixth form it looked too big and wasnt so sure, the only reaosn i'm thinking about going there because it has a better grade average
Reply 3
Original post by samhelyes

I think it's hard to compare sixth forms solely on APS. Do you find your current education substandard and are you a good independent learner? If you depend mostly on your teachers then it might be good to prioritise the best in terms of that factor. You should also take a look around the other sixth form and see how you like it in terms of facilities.

Honestly, I know this sounds rough, but I wouldn't make familiar friends a large priority only because going to a new place would be a nice transition step between school and university and you'd have a taste for what being thrown into a whole new scenario would be like. I also wouldn't let the travel distance put you off because 60 minutes would be perfect time to get some work done, if you're fine with writing on buses/trains/whatever.

Check out whether your current school does general studies as a requirement and whether the other sixth form does--there's a "push-up" tactic a lot of sixth forms do (mine included) where they boast their high grades when really they're just boosted a bit extra by having general studies as a requirement for all students compared to other schools which do not.

Good luck with your choices! I also agree with the previous user--pros and cons lists are really useful when making decisions. When I make pros and cons lists I include a highlighting colour system of importance so there's an idea, too.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies everyone, but i reckon i'll just go to my schools sixth form because a levels are more about independent learning anyway so hopefully i'll do fine
Reply 5
pick the school your future wife ends up at

Quick Reply

Latest