The Student Room Group

help!! regular sixth form or grammar?

i'm trying to decide which sixth form to go to, i was originally planning on going to an all boys grammar which accepts girls to the sixth form, however i've gone and viewed another regular sixth form and it ws really nice, however i really like both schools and teachers, i'm struggling on which one to pick!!

Scroll to see replies

I go to an all boys grammar which accepts girls to the sixth form, I am in year 11 but it's really up to you and if you have the grades for the grammar school I would reccomend going, it would help you in the long term. I wish you the best of luck my friend.
Hi, I go to an all girls grammar school, but am planning on going to a local all boys grammar for sixth form which accepts girls. If you can get the grades, it's definitely worth it (unless you're happy with your current school and like your teachers). You would expect all grammar sixth forms to be really pushy and grade obsessed, but they're not. The one I want to go to is, but the sixth form of the school I'm currently at isn't really. It depends on what kind of person you are. If you're really driven grade-wise, a pushy grammar is a good place for you :smile:
Hi my teachers children go to grammar schools and they went on to study medicine I’m pretty sure they are quite good she said and check out their like ratings and possibly reviews if they have any it definitely helps. I’ve heard grammar schools are very good grade-wise yet wherever you think will also provide you with the best support during your studies and have the best options for you I would say go for that!
Original post by ilikecatsig123
i'm trying to decide which sixth form to go to, i was originally planning on going to an all boys grammar which accepts girls to the sixth form, however i've gone and viewed another regular sixth form and it ws really nice, however i really like both schools and teachers, i'm struggling on which one to pick!!

For A-levels I would go to the higher performing school, with respect to A-level results.

I went to a comprehensive for 6-form, i made to uni and have done alright academically speaking but honestly the teaching was woeful, lots of students would have done far better elsewhere.
Reply 5
Yeah, despite the stigma grammar schools aren't grade obsessed and mine is really relaxed and supportive. I'd say if you get the grades, go for the grammar. :smile:

You need to check out the over-subscription rules if you are an external candidate. There will be a certain number of places ....
Original post by Muttley79
You need to check out the over-subscription rules if you are an external candidate. There will be a certain number of places ....

they just accept a certain number of students, external or not, it's always one limit and the past few years they've been under-subscribed
they just accept a certain number of students, external or not, it's always one limit and the past few years they've been under-subscribed

A GS sixth form won't be under-subscribed ...

From Y7-Y11 I went to a secondary modern school, great memories and great fun don't get me wrong BUT the standard of teaching now that I am at a grammar school for sixth form (I'm in Y13) is so much better!!!! Im currently predicted A*A*A which I never would have thought before coming here!!! Dont get me wrong grammar schools are not as fun socially but at the end of the day you are there to get qualifications. 1000000% recommend
Original post by Muttley79
A GS sixth form won't be under-subscribed ...

i don't know why you're telling me this, unless you've been there and seen the applicant numbers
i

GS are never under-subscribed ...
Reply 12

Omg hey! I'm applying to a grammar sixth form too. What grades have you been getting on your mocks and stuff?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Nadi09
Omg hey! I'm applying to a grammar sixth form too. What grades have you been getting on your mocks and stuff?

hey, i got mainly high 7's, all very close to 8's which is so annoying! My lowest was maths which was a high 5, although my whole class did bad tbh, there was one 6, hbu?
Reply 14
hey, i got mainly high 7's, all very close to 8's which is so annoying! My lowest was maths which was a high 5, although my whole class did bad tbh, there was one 6, hbu?

I got mostly 7s which were also annoyingly close to 8s 😭. I got 1 9 and 2 8s. Are you doing an interview for your sixth form?
Reply 15
Original post by timoteechalamey
hi! i got simmiiar grades to you. did you get an offer or interview?

Heya they've all got back to me saying they are considering my application. Are you wanting to go to the same school?
Original post by timoteechalamey
hi! i got simmiiar grades to you. did you get an offer or interview?

i've been offered 1/3 interviews so far!
Original post by flopsey-bunny
Hi, I go to an all girls grammar school, but am planning on going to a local all boys grammar for sixth form which accepts girls. If you can get the grades, it's definitely worth it (unless you're happy with your current school and like your teachers). You would expect all grammar sixth forms to be really pushy and grade obsessed, but they're not. The one I want to go to is, but the sixth form of the school I'm currently at isn't really. It depends on what kind of person you are. If you're really driven grade-wise, a pushy grammar is a good place for you :smile:

Hey, What was it like moving to the all boys school? Do you prefer it to the all girls?
Sorry for such a late reply! To be honest, there isn’t a massive difference. Be aware though that the ethos and atmosphere of an all boys school is often very different, and there seems to be a much more prominent feel of some kind of superiority if that makes any sense, which isn’t great. But you can do well at either

Original post by Frizzle16523
Hey, What was it like moving to the all boys school? Do you prefer it to the all girls?
Original post by flopsey-bunny
Sorry for such a late reply! To be honest, there isn’t a massive difference. Be aware though that the ethos and atmosphere of an all boys school is often very different, and there seems to be a much more prominent feel of some kind of superiority if that makes any sense, which isn’t great. But you can do well at either

Oh yeah I have heard about that sort of stuff in all boys schools which is making me a bit conflicted on what I should do :/ would you say majority of the guys at your school act like they are superior or is it just the minority?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending