The Student Room Group

Calls to bann Ask Fm

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sammy Lanka
Some people just don't seem to get it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally read all your points and agree with most of them, I understand your view point, I was meant to go to sleep but read all nine pages of this thread.
Original post by Pendulum3
I personally read all your points and agree with most of them, I understand your view point, I was meant to go to sleep but read all nine pages of this thread.

Good to know that someone understands. Some people just seem like they don't want to even try and understand other people's feelings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Believable_Jeff
But it can be quite easily ignored on sites like ask.fm; just delete your account. Am I being so ignorant that I'm overseeing some reason why just deleting your account/not going on it is so difficult? As opposed to logging on, reading the abuse, knowing full well that it greatly upsets you.

It's a relatively obscure website
(unlike Facebook/Twitter where there is mass social pressure to join) that's notorious for trolls and idiots sending hateful messages, if you were so sensitive then why continue to use the site?

As a few others have said there's got to have been some external factors that impacted her decision.

I didn't want to get involved, but I have to disagree with this. Obscure? Nearly everyone I know has one, and it pops up on my Facebook feed at least once a day. My Facebook friends and I are all over 20 too.
They've looked into the IP addresses of the comments and apparently 98% of them came from her own computer. So basically she was trolling herself.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
They've looked into the IP addresses of the comments and apparently 98% of them came from her own computer. So basically she was trolling herself.

Can you find corroborating information on the Sunday Times' story? Otherwise I'm not so sure of this.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Can you find corroborating information on the Sunday Times' story? Otherwise I'm not so sure of this.

There was a DM article on it and it's probably on the BBC's website. Surely a quick google search would solve your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Endless Blue
There was a DM article on it and it's probably on the BBC's website. Surely a quick google search would solve your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't be asking if I hadn't tried that. All of the other news sites are just re-reporting the Sunday Times so they aren't corroborating. The only BBC article I can find says that ask.fm will 'cooperate' with the police investigation. One piece of information I could find

"Last night, a source close to Ask.fm said it was conceivable that Hannah may have posted some of the hate messages herself."

Other than that nothing*.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 187
I don't see why the website should be banned, although it should be monitored more. The girls classmates said she was very popular at school and you get alot of idiots posting abuse on other social network site. Maybe there should be an age limit for teenagers to create an account.
Reply 188
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

I find this difficult to believe. But if this is true then she clearly had some psychological problems.
Reply 189
There were possibly other factors that lead to the girl's death, It's a bit much blaming a website, there is an option to deactivate your account; if it's offending you so much then consider it.There's all types of people on the internet, some people have a laugh and shrug hate off and others take it a bit further and banning such a website is useless because it isn't going to change people. I don't personally use the site because it doesn't appeal to me, It's literally the same/similar to Formspring and no one is doting on removing that site- possibly because the Media isn't blowing any cases relating to Formspring out of proportion. 'Trolls' aren't going to disappear if you ban the site, there's still many places on the internet for them to lurk.

I just hope anyone in the future suffering from online abuse can speak out before it gets too much, it's so important to tell someone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Unkempt_One
I wouldn't be asking if I hadn't tried that. All of the other news sites are just re-reporting the Sunday Times so they aren't corroborating. The only BBC article I can find says that ask.fm will 'cooperate' with the police investigation. One piece of information I could find

"Last night, a source close to Ask.fm said it was conceivable that Hannah may have posted some of the hate messages herself."

Other than that nothing*.

Well, yes. My point was that a quick google search would have provided you with your answer much quicker :rolleyes:
Original post by snowyowl
I didn't want to get involved, but I have to disagree with this. Obscure? Nearly everyone I know has one, and it pops up on my Facebook feed at least once a day. My Facebook friends and I are all over 20 too.

Key word being 'relatively'.

In comparison to Twitter/Facebook, it's absolutely futile and I'm sorry but you're wrong if you think otherwise. There is literally NO social pressure to be on there, at all.

Before this whole thing started, I guarantee if you were to conduct a random survey in the street then around 75% of people (maybe even more) would have absolutely no idea whatsoever what an "ask.fm" is or does.
(edited 10 years ago)

Before this whole thing started, I guarantee if you were to conduct a random survey in the street then around 75% of people (maybe even more) would have absolutely no idea whatsoever what an "ask.fm" is or does.

I agree.
Key word being 'relatively'.

In comparison to Twitter/Facebook, it's absolutely futile and I'm sorry but you're wrong if you think otherwise. There is literally NO social pressure to be on there, at all.

No social pressure in other age groups, maybe. But for this young girl's age group (say 13-16) I can imagine there is lots of pressure to have one. When I was that age, if you didn't have a MySpace/Facebook then you were considered a bit of a loser who had no friends, and you'd be the laughing stock of the class for it - which is a big deal to a teenager whose entire social world is their peers at school!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by snowyowl
No social pressure in other age groups, maybe. But for this young girl's age group (say 13-16) I can imagine there is lots of pressure to have one. When I was that age, if you didn't have a MySpace/Facebook then you were considered a bit of a loser who had no friends, and you'd be the laughing stock of the class for it - which is a big deal to a teenager whose entire social world is their peers at school!

i can GUARANTEE that there is no social pressure in the 13-16 age group to join that ridiculous website. I'm 17 at the minute , and when i was in that age group , there was definitely no social pressure to use it , and there isn't any there now.
Reply 195
Original post by ImNew
Anybody can make an account on another site with a fake name.

Turns out the girl was harassing herself publicly for attention but then was upset when some people joined in. 95% of the messages were from HER though which is the shocker.
Original post by Fas
i can GUARANTEE that there is no social pressure in the 13-16 age group to join that ridiculous website. I'm 17 at the minute , and when i was in that age group , there was definitely no social pressure to use it , and there isn't any there now.

Actually in the last year pressure to join in high school age teenagers has gone up significantly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sammy Lanka
Actually in the last year pressure to join in high school age teenagers has gone up significantly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well if thats the case , then i'm quite dissapointed to hear that.

either way it doesn't matter , turns out 98% of the messages she had sent HERSELF , so i don't really know what to think now. Cannot see any motive to be sending herself hatemail other than to gather attention - which is ****ing pathetic.
I don't understand their position. If she was being abused, why didn't she delete her account?
Original post by Fas

Quite, you're 17. You were 13 4 years ago, when ask.fm didn't exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending