The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Economics without FM?

I am in year 12 and thinking about applying to UCL economics. My predicted grades are A*A*A* in Maths, Physics and Economics. I don't take further maths. Do I have much of a chance of getting into econ there, do they prioritise candidates with FM, should I take FM next year for AS in year 13?
Original post by bens23
I am in year 12 and thinking about applying to UCL economics. My predicted grades are A*A*A* in Maths, Physics and Economics. I don't take further maths. Do I have much of a chance of getting into econ there, do they prioritise candidates with FM, should I take FM next year for AS in year 13?

UCL don't appear to mention FM in their requirements.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
UCL don't appear to mention FM in their requirements.

I understand, however, some unis do still prioritise candidates for economics that have fm even if they don't state it and give higher offer rates to those candidates. I am just wondering if this is the case with UCL and how severe it might be?
Original post by bens23
I understand, however, some unis do still prioritise candidates for economics that have fm even if they don't state it and give higher offer rates to those candidates. I am just wondering if this is the case with UCL and how severe it might be?

Ask UCL what their offer rates are with and without FM, particularly for candidates predicted 3 A*.
Candidates with FM might just be stronger overall, they might not be getting offers because they’re taking FM.

Personally I would take the risk if it’s a uni you’re keen on, (unless you contact them and they state it’s a preferred subject).
Reply 5
I doubt this is the case. My son got a scholarship from UCL because of his FM A level grade - they offer a number of these, presumably because they want to attract students with a good level of FM, meaning that this isn't something they count on for most students joining.
Mine isn't doing Economics BTW, but his girlfriend is.
Reply 6
Forgot to say: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending