The Student Room Group

Calls to bann Ask Fm

Scroll to see replies

Seriously, only a masochist would continuously use something that they expect to hurt them. Stupidity is not making a mistake, stupidity is making the same mistake and expecting a different result. If something annoys you, stop doing it. Go read a book. Play some video games.

Actually if you're that susceptible to abuse I would steer clear of Xbox Live...
Reply 101
Original post by danielnkwocha
Seriously, only a masochist would continuously use something that they expect to hurt them. Stupidity is not making a mistake, stupidity is making the same mistake and expecting a different result. If something annoys you, stop doing it. Go read a book. Play some video games.

Actually if you're that susceptible to abuse I would steer clear of Xbox Live...

She was quite young so it wasn't as obvious to her though to me and you it seems stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moreover, it's very easy to say just ignore it, but if you're depressed it can be very easy to internalise the abuse and find it hard to ignore. I'm shocked every time this happens at how little sympathy some people possess.
Original post by MrNameless
Moreover, it's very easy to say just ignore it, but if you're depressed it can be very easy to internalise the abuse and find it hard to ignore. I'm shocked every time this happens at how little sympathy some people possess.

Exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
She was quite young so it wasn't as obvious to her though to me and you it seems stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I was 2 years old, I used to taunt my mother by putting my hand near an electric heater, one of the big ones with the heating coil ring thingies. She would pull me away and go "Daniel, no!" I kept doing this because I knew it would provoke the same reaction from her, but one day when I did it and looked at her, she looked right back at me and did nothing else. I got burnt that day, and from then I learnt that if something isn't good, I should stop doing it.

I was two years old.

I've been depressed. I've been subject to internet abuse. I've been 14. However I've also learnt how to ignore and fight back when necessary... How you can be crying on the internet and not to your parents, then committing suicide about it is just beyond me.
Just another irrelevant story. When the politicians come back from holiday this will all be forgotten about.

I have a question for the girl's father: "When your daughter was been bullied on the Internet why weren't you doing some actual parenting? As a parent should really be monitoring your child's Internet habits to some extent."
The fault is in the people who do cyberbully, not in the medium that allows them to do so.
Reply 108
6 months ago or so, when ask fm was never off my facebook newsfeed, it seemed to me that some of the girls (and it is mostly girls) who had accounts almost want the abuse, it's sort of seen as a popularity contest, and your friends would defend you from the abuse.

So "popular" girls would get a bit of hate, and the anon in question (who is usually a bit short on the IQ front) gets trolled back by her friends and embarrasses themself.

This could explain why some people don't get rid of it, as it would almost be seen as giving in to low social status, and not having the friends to back them up. So they try and defend themselves instead, which can end very badly for them. But I struggle to imagine this happening to a happy girl with good friends in the school.
its a knee jerk reaction... true its very sad someone died but banning an entire site theres absolutely no reason for it...
The people who useit know what theyre in for and they know people are ***** and will be***** to you given half a chance...
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Being a teenager doesn't make you stupid.

If something is optional and it's making you feel unhappy, stop doing it.
Reply 111
Original post by Sammy Lanka
I'm guessing that none of the people who have said that it should not be banned have ever suffered from depression or been severely bullied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes to both. I don't think it should be banned because it would be censorship.

Hold on there mr sympathetic...

Lets put this into perspective here. She committed suicide over something said online by somebody who is completely anonymous... That's it. I have great sympathy with her family I do, but as I've said before the seriousness that this generation places on social media is a complete joke. She should have left, and I think it's far too easy for you to say, 'oh you have no compassion' or something similar. I feel for the family but I think this is a situation that is about stiff upper lip etc.

Who on earth commits suicide over something said anonymously online...
Original post by tufc
Yes to both. I don't think it should be banned because it would be censorship.

I also do not agree that it should be banned but safety measures should be added. I was simply saying that most people do not know how hard it is to overcome cyber bullying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uktotalgamer
Hold on there mr sympathetic...

Lets put this into perspective here. She committed suicide over something said online by somebody who is completely anonymous... That's it. I have great sympathy with her family I do, but as I've said before the seriousness that this generation places on social media is a complete joke. She should have left, and I think it's far too easy for you to say, 'oh you have no compassion' or something similar. I feel for the family but I think this is a situation that is about stiff upper lip etc.

Who on earth commits suicide over something said anonymously online...

And it's people like you who cause this to happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because someone says something you don't like or disagree with doesn't make them a troll. Trolling is posting stuff on forums to get an argument out of it.

What the media goes insane over is simple bullying, which is a more complex concept than simple 'solutions' in the form of crude bans and blocks and shutting down of websites.

If you kill yourself over something someone says on a website (with all the power in the world to just, you know...log off at the least) then you got more complex problems than that.

People don't just kill themselves over that, this girl had other problems, she was probably getting bullied all over the place and simplifying it to 'ban the internets!!11!' style moralistic crisis is just offensive.

Cameron and his party need chucked out of office, I'm getting sick and tired of him listening to every grumpy little **** with a grudge against the modern world attempting a moral crusade.
And it's people like you who cause this to happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give yourself over man. The trolls that caused this are the problem. I wouldn't do that. I have a life. But that still doesn't change the fact that committing suicide over something said online is bizarre.
Reply 117
If you can't handle insults, don't go on it. Simple as. If we keep screaming for the government to ban something whenever someone gets hurt we'll have no liberty left.
Original post by uktotalgamer
Give yourself over man. The trolls that caused this are the problem. I wouldn't do that. I have a life. But that still doesn't change the fact that committing suicide over something said online is bizarre.

No one understands the issue. Therefore the girl had nowhere to turn. Say she had have come to you and said she was contemplating suicide. You would have said stop being stupid which would have driven her to actually commit suicide.

The thing is I do not believe that anyone on here wanted her to die. However their lack of understanding could have caused it

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one understands the issue. Therefore the girl had nowhere to turn. Say she had have come to you and said she was contemplating suicide. You would have said stop being stupid which would have driven her to actually commit suicide.

The thing is I do not believe that anyone on here wanted her to die. However their lack of understanding could have caused it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hold on. If a girl came to me contemplating suicide the last thing I would do is egg her on. I'm not that guy.

However you aren't understanding me. How can I put this without causing offence. Committing suicide at any time for any reason isn't acceptable, it's not right. But committing over something said on the Internet is just bizarre. She should have just left. I still cannot understand why she didn't. However I also still can't understand how anyone can consider something said online by someone she didn't know can cause her suicide. You think I'm insensitive, a lot of people don't agree with me on here, I don't commit. I think there has to be some background to this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending