The Student Room Group

British Immigration is too High

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MacDaddi
We are 51st in the world! Not that bad!

Check out England.. we're 407/km^2

The only countries of any real size above us are the Netherlands, Rwanda, South Korea, Taiwan and Bangladesh.

England is overpopulated, that is to say, the addition of each average person reduces the standard of living of those already here.

And it's only going to get worse.
Reply 21
Original post by Barksy
Xenophobia has nothing to do with it. When will your ilk realise this?

Don't know what you're trying to imply by "your ilk" - I am on the right politically.

But if you actually engaged brain and used it to read the statement you picked out a single word from, you'd find that in context the use of that word was entirely correct. There is no evidence to be cited in this debate - noone officially counts the data. So anything the OP comes up with to 'back' his statement is going to be biased.
Reply 22
Original post by DiddyDec
Leaving the EU would result in economic suicide.

Complete myth.
Reply 23
There are definitely too many people here pushing up the cost of living. Hence why I am out of here, as soon as I have enough education and experience to walk into a better paid lower taxed job elsewhere.

Why complain about it when you can be part of the solution?
Reply 24
Original post by Barksy
Complete myth.

There is so much of our industry subsidised by the EU, we would struggle to turn a profit. Agriculture would be destroyed overnight.
Reply 25
Original post by Drewski
Don't know what you're trying to imply by "your ilk" - I am on the right politically.

But if you actually engaged brain and used it to read the statement you picked out a single word from, you'd find that in context the use of that word was entirely correct. There is no evidence to be cited in this debate - noone officially counts the data. So anything the OP comes up with to 'back' his statement is going to be biased.

Your ilk as in those who will peddle any 'phobia', 'ist' or 'ism' buzzword in order to stifle debate. The OP gave economic justifications, albeit backed up with nothing, for his opinion on immigration. That isn't 'fearing foreigners'. For someone of the right, you shouldn't lower yourself to the game of the leftist.
Reply 26
There is so much of our industry subsidised by the EU, we would struggle to turn a profit. Agriculture would be destroyed overnight.

Britain is a net contributer to the EU and has been for years, i.e every single year without fail we pay more into the pot than we receive in subsidies and grants. If we left we could spend a portion our £12bn membership fee directly on our own farmers if we wanted and still be quids in.
Reply 27
Original post by chefdave
Britain is a net contributer to the EU and has been for years, i.e every single year without fail we pay more into the pot than we receive in subsidies and grants. If we left we could spend a portion our £12bn membership fee directly on our own farmers if we wanted and still be quids in.

I don't think our government can be trusted to use the money where it should be used. The EU guarantees the money to our farmers and spreads it evenly around our industry. It also allows exports to be easier between nations which is a key part of our remaining industry.
Reply 28
Original post by Am I Really Here
Check out England.. we're 407/km^2

The only countries of any real size above us are the Netherlands, Rwanda, South Korea, Taiwan and Bangladesh.

England is overpopulated, that is to say, the addition of each average person reduces the standard of living of those already here.

And it's only going to get worse.

London. SE England. We need to make more efficient usage of space - besides look at large parts of Scotland and Wales, empty.
Original post by uktotalgamer
You cannot close the doors from EU immigrants. The whole foundation of the EU is based upon freedom of trade and movement of people. Simple as that. I agree we need to negotiate with the EU because there has to be a point that we say "We are full" however leaving the EU isn't and shouldn't be considered an option.

Do you realise you've managed to contradict yourself in the space of one post?
Reply 30
Original post by Endless Blue
Do you realise you've managed to contradict yourself in the space of one post?

I will not

Get those illegals!
London. SE England. We need to make more efficient usage of space.

What does that mean? Smaller houses? New builds can't get much smaller.

Less green space? Towns around me are already merging because of new houses going up all over the place. This is in the Midlands, more specifically an area which is slightly lower than the average UK population density, even so, some villages/towns are almost being doubled in size and areas which were previously fields are turning into housing estates. This decreases the standards of living for those already here.

Besides look at large parts of Scotland and Wales, empty.

And empty they should stay. We've already got remarkably little free, green space in England - you're looking at ways to fit more people in, which it is perfectly possible to do, but you're not actually considering whether the addition of new people will benefit the country and improve the lives of those living here.
Reply 32
Original post by Am I Really Here
What does that mean? Smaller houses? New builds can't get much smaller.

Less green space? Towns around me are already merging because of new houses going up all over the place. This is in the Midlands, more specifically an area which is slightly lower than the average UK population density, even so, some villages/towns are almost being doubled in size and areas which were previously fields are turning into housing estates. This decreases the standards of living for those already here.

1. Taller maybe?

2. How does it decrease living standards? Where have you got this? Is there any proof?

And empty they should stay. We've already got remarkably little free, green space in England - you're looking at ways to fit more people in, which it is perfectly possible to do, but you're not actually considering whether the addition of new people will benefit the country and improve the lives of those living here.

Yes, because in future years, these people's children will be paying for your healthcare
Original post by Barksy
Complete myth.

I don't see how it is a "complete myth". First, you can forget about London remaining 'the financial capital of the world', if we were to leave the EU. (Note, this is a completely uncontroversial statement, as it is widely accepted that European banks will pull out if we leave the EU. Secondly, leaving the EU would create short term financial instability in market terms, which could further damage the sector.)

The main point is, if we leave the EU we have no real guarantees of trade whatsoever. UKIP et al might say that we'll get XYZ bilateral trade deals with China, USA, Commonwealth - you name it - but in reality it is incredibly presumptuous. It may not be economic suicide to leave, but it is certainly very unstable and a big risk. It could pay off, but chances are highly unlikely. Btw, you can forget about a purely economic FTA with the EU should we leave, unless you want a situation similar to Norway. (70% of EU legislation but with no representation whatsoever.)
Original post by Boitzkrieg
We need to be careful
we are a small country

With the 2 best cities in the world

EDL will support us but it will not be easy :frown:

Yeah Im sure that's what the British public want. The EDL supporting them. The EDL who turn a legitimate issue in to a racist one...

Original post by Barksy
Xenophobia has nothing to do with it. When will your ilk realise this?

Read how the OP is phrased. It stinks of xenophobia. If it were worded better, then perhaps they'd have a better argument and it wouldn't be ie: he makes a lot of assumptions without giving any evidence.
Reply 35
London. SE England. We need to make more efficient usage of space - besides look at large parts of Scotland and Wales, empty.

"empty" or filled with farmland which is trying to feed our massive population.
Reply 36
I don't think our government can be trusted to use the money where it should be used. The EU guarantees the money to our farmers and spreads it evenly around our industry. It also allows exports to be easier between nations which is a key part of our remaining industry.

1) The EU is so corrupt and wasteful it's failed to get it's accounts signed off for the past 20 years, these Eurocrats couldn't be trusted to run lemonade stand honestly let alone the world's 2nd largest economy.

2) Many of these payments are used to keep fields fallow for environmental purposes, i.e they encourage farmers not to farm. I don't see how this is a sensible use of resources, particularly when money is tight.

3) Most of the money goes to France anyway as France was a founder member and it also has a large agricultural sector. The removal of EU subsidies would actually benefit British farmers because it would level the playing field and allow us to compete on even tems with the French.
Reply 37
Original post by de_monies
Yeah Im sure that's what the British public want. The EDL supporting them. The EDL who turn a legitimate issue in to a racist one...

Read how the OP is phrased. It stinks of xenophobia. If it were worded better, then perhaps they'd have a better argument and it wouldn't be ie: he makes a lot of assumptions without giving any evidence.

I "assume" the NHS is struggling to cope.

I "assume" that British school are not at an acceptable level

I "assume" there are not enough jobs.

I "assume" there are too many people in the UK and we cannot support them all
Reply 38
"empty" or filled with farmland which is trying to feed our massive population.

No.. quite empty in Scotland, lots of moorlands.
Reply 39
Original post by chefdave
1) The EU is so corrupt and wasteful it's failed to get it's accounts signed off for the past 20 years, these Eurocrats couldn't be trusted to run lemonade stand honestly let alone the world's 2nd largest economy.

2) Many of these payments are used to keep fields fallow for environmental purposes, i.e they encourage farmers not to farm. I don't see how this is a sensible use of resources, particularly when money is tight.

3) Most of the money goes to France anyway as France was a founder member and it also has a large agricultural sector. The removal of EU subsidies would actually benefit British farmers because it would level the playing field and allow us to compete on even tems with the French.

UK farmers don't leave fields fallow anymore, we have developed strategies to make the most of our land. Through crop rotation and rigorous fertilsing regimes. British farmer are already well above anything France has to offer. We are the most technologically advanced in Europe, both our arable and livestock quality is well above the majority of Europe and exported world wide. France on the other hand is very far behind most European countries in agriculture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending