The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
I have an offer for a PhD in History and a while ago I received an email saying that we'd be notified by the end of March whether our funding application was forwarded to University Ranking for every funding body separately. Does anyone know whether they'd sent that already?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1981
Original post by Varda
I have an offer for a PhD in History and a while ago I received an email saying that we'd be notified by the end of March whether our funding application was forwarded to University Ranking for every funding body separately. Does anyone know whether they'd sent that already?

My friend and I have PhD offers in History and we were both notified that we were put forward for funding.
Original post by jessicab1991
I emailed them and they said applicants will be notified at the end of March as funding is going through CHESS this year. (this is for the MPhil, by the way)

Got my nice little funding rejection letter today- guess I shouldn't have complained!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting
Reply 1983
Got my nice little funding rejection letter today- guess I shouldn't have complained!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting

From CHESS?
Original post by vincedp
From CHESS?

from AHRC specifically
from AHRC specifically

A letter, as in post? Or email? And has it been updated on your online application?
Reply 1986
Original post by leitchman92
A letter, as in post? Or email? And has it been updated on your online application?

EMAIL! While my online application is still the same: accepted at Trinity Hall :smile:

I hold an offer as a PhD student in History for the next academic year.
I had been forwarded to stage 3 (university ranking) for both AHRC & CHESS.

Just a minute ago I've received an email saying that I'm on a reserve list for a AHRC DTP award...
Confirmed that I'm a reserve for AHRC (PhD Law). Silly question that I'm sure there isn't even an answer for, but does anyone know how many awards are given out/ how long the reserve lists are?
Reply 1988
Original post by ajh1990
Confirmed that I'm a reserve for AHRC (PhD Law). Silly question that I'm sure there isn't even an answer for, but does anyone know how many awards are given out/ how long the reserve lists are?

The million-dollar question! :smile:

BTW, I am aware of the History 2013 prospect:
- 44 nominated to Stage 3
- 17 awards received

http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/faculty-funding/funding-options/ahrc-home
Original post by leitchman92

An email with a PDF letter attached. My status on the portal still hasn't changed...

How are you first informed of college allocation? Via the online portal or email?
Reply 1990
An email with a PDF letter attached. My status on the portal still hasn't changed...

How are you first informed of college allocation? Via the online portal or email?

No attachment for me. Just a quick note saying that I am a reserve for AHRC.

I come to know of college placement first of all via the online portal ('college member allocated' or something like that).
A couple of weeks later the College itself (Trinity Hall) emailed me with its offer of a place.
Reply 1991
Original post by MartinMorrison
Going to travel down. I'm always less nervous in person!

Good luck then :smile:
Reply 1992
I am also a PhD history offer holder and received an e-mail saying that I am a reserve for AHRC a few minutes ago. I remember seeing somewhere that moving from the reserve to firm offer list is highly unlikely. I received the e-mails saying that I had got through to Stage 3 for ARHC and CHESS almost simultaneously 10 days ago. Now I am wondering if the fact that I have not received an e-mail regarding CHESS along with the AHRC notification today means that my application for CHESS was unsuccessful. Paranoia! Has anyone who got an email saying that they were on the reserve for CHESS heard anything more?
Congratulations all of you who moved a step closer today

(meanwhile, in the land of 'haven't heard anything yet' hope is slowly slipping away :frown:)
Reply 1994
Quick question.

Because of my AHRC offer, I now have a choice between my original college (King's) and a college which could jointly fund the AHRC award (Pembroke). (The choice just seems to be a formality; basically some AHRC awards are jointly funded by colleges, some are funded wholly from the DTP, and I can choose which of these options I want to take.)

I'm not especially familiar with Cambridge, so does anyone have any thoughts on the respective pros and cons of these colleges for graduates? It looks to me like Pembroke have extra grants for travel / conferences etc, whereas King's might not, and some Pembroke accommodation is actually in the college rather than off-site, whereas all of King's grad accommodation is in west Cambridge. So for those reasons I'm leaning slightly towards Pembroke now. If anyone has any advice, please say so! I realise this is a nice dilemma to have :smile:, and I don't mean to annoy anyone who wasn't successful in the funding competition this year...
Reply 1995
Original post by Jantaculum
Congratulations all of you who moved a step closer today

(meanwhile, in the land of 'haven't heard anything yet' hope is slowly slipping away :frown:)

I feel the same. Refreshing pages like there's no tomorrow...but I almost have no hope left. :frown:
Original post by DianaM
I feel the same. Refreshing pages like there's no tomorrow...but I almost have no hope left. :frown:

Miserable, isn't it?

I don't have any other applications in at the moment (there's no hurry as the closing date for my particular course is in the summer for most universities) but think that I might have to book a few open days soon :frown:
Reply 1997
Just a quick question: Do I need to accept my offer in order to get any college allocation? Or I can accept my offer after college allocation? Many thanks!
Original post by c12i34
Just a quick question: Do I need to accept my offer in order to get any college allocation? Or I can accept my offer after college allocation? Many thanks!

I accepted mine post college allocation :yep:
Hi everyone,
I received today the offer for Sidney Sussex College! They say I only have 2 weeks to accept my offer but...I didn't heard from the dept. Do you know when is the deadline?
I have a conditional offer, no AHRC funding :frown: but I'm still waiting to know from other scholarship I have applied for. I need time to decide as I received an offer from Oxford as well...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending