The Student Room Group

Social/ Medical Anthropology Postgraduate Oxbridge 2022

Hi everyone! Couldn't find a forum specifically dedicated to anthropology courses at Oxbridge so here we are....
Did anyone hear from the department regarding their application outcomes? I applied for the MSc Medical Anthropology at Oxford (Jan deadline) and MPhil Social Anthropology with medical anthropology specialization (Jan deadline)

Scroll to see replies

Hello,I applied to Oxford and Cambridge for Social Anthropology too. Oxford - I applied for the MSc in Social Anthropology in January, right before the January deadline. I did not apply for funding. I have not heard back. I have seen elsewhere on studentroom that some people have already received offers, I wonder if these people applied for funding. I have seen on studentroom that last year a load of rejections and acceptances were sent out between 18-21st March, which is around 8-10 weeks after the application deadline. So there is still hope!Cambridge - I applied for the MPhil in Social Anthropology, in mid January (after the funding deadline). I asked the admissions department when my application might be reviewed and was told that it would be after all the applicants who have gone for funding have been considered, so mid February onwards. When I called this week they told me I could hear anytime in late April / early May, though conceded some responses are sent earlier. I have seen that some people have already been accepted, again I wonder what the relevance of applying for funding is on decision timings. Good luck with your application and keep me posted if you hear!
Reply 2
Original post by Social.anth
Hi there - I also applied to Oxbridge for anthropology courses:Oxford - I applied for the MSc in Social Anthropology before the January deadline. I did not apply for funding. I have not heard anything back. Looking online it appears some offers have been sent out. Studentroom forums from last year show a load of rejections and offers being sent out for this course last year between 18th-21st March, which is around 8 weeks after the application deadline and in line with the 8-10 week decision timeline that appears on the course website. So there is hope yet.Cambridge I applied for the MPhil in Social Anthropology in mid-January (after the funding deadline). I did not apply for funding. I have not heard anything back. Looking online it seems that some offers have started being sent out for this course too. When I asked the admissions department when my application was likely to be reviewed, I was told that as the applications with funding applications would need to be reviewed first, mine would not be considered before mid-February, and I might not hear anything as late as late-April/early-May. For those that have already received decisions, I expect a lot of them will be people that have applied for funding and so need to hear sooner, but I may be mistaken.I have also applied to UCL and Columbia in the past few weeks, and have not heard from either.My background in case of interest: I did my undergrad at Oxford, graduating with a first 6 years. Good luck with your application and keep me posted how you get on!V

Hi, nice to hear from a fellow anthropology applicant! Since you've applied by the January deadline for the MSc course at Oxford, I believe you will automatically be considered for funding. Moreover, the anthropology department at Oxford has very limited scholarships for MSc/MPhil applicants and they do not require additional documentation.

It seems candidates who applied by the November deadline have received early decisions; both the Gradcafe and the Student Room attest to this. I haven't seen any updates from January applicants though. But given that these online forums represent only a handful of total applicants, this is hard to tell. And yes, I did see last year's rejection updates around mid-March or so. Hopefully, we'll receive an outcome around then as well this year though funding decisions may take longer.

With regards to the MPhil at Cambridge, I applied by the funding deadline in January. Although the timeline mentions a waiting period of 10-12 weeks, I suspect there will be a delay by a fortnight or so given the ongoing strikes. So, I should hear from the department by end of March/ early April. While there is no direct relevance of applying for funding on decision outcomes, there is a deadline for applying to scholarships. The departmental consideration and scholarship consideration happen in parallel but by virtue of having applied by the funding deadline, these applicants are notified first compared to applicants who apply later. In any case, the waiting period is going to stressful for all of us! I have checked with other MPhil candidates (Jan deadline) and they do not seem to have heard anything from the SocAnth department yet.

I wish you the very best with your applications. Let us keep in touch!
Original post by anthro_int5
Hi, nice to hear from a fellow anthropology applicant! Since you've applied by the January deadline for the MSc course at Oxford, I believe you will automatically be considered for funding. Moreover, the anthropology department at Oxford has very limited scholarships for MSc/MPhil applicants and they do not require additional documentation.

It seems candidates who applied by the November deadline have received early decisions; both the Gradcafe and the Student Room attest to this. I haven't seen any updates from January applicants though. But given that these online forums represent only a handful of total applicants, this is hard to tell. And yes, I did see last year's rejection updates around mid-March or so. Hopefully, we'll receive an outcome around then as well this year though funding decisions may take longer.

With regards to the MPhil at Cambridge, I applied by the funding deadline in January. Although the timeline mentions a waiting period of 10-12 weeks, I suspect there will be a delay by a fortnight or so given the ongoing strikes. So, I should hear from the department by end of March/ early April. While there is no direct relevance of applying for funding on decision outcomes, there is a deadline for applying to scholarships. The departmental consideration and scholarship consideration happen in parallel but by virtue of having applied by the funding deadline, these applicants are notified first compared to applicants who apply later. In any case, the waiting period is going to stressful for all of us! I have checked with other MPhil candidates (Jan deadline) and they do not seem to have heard anything from the SocAnth department yet.

I wish you the very best with your applications. Let us keep in touch!

This is all very useful to know - thank you! Best of luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi all, I applied to mphil in social anthropology by the funding deadline for cambridge and moved to pao status on feb 12 -13, and haven't heard anything else except an email about funding. i'm here waiting it out with you all! By the way, do you guys know anything about funding chances for international students?
Reply 5
Hi everyone! Couldn't find a forum specifically dedicated to anthropology courses at Oxbridge so here we are....
Did anyone hear from the department regarding their application outcomes? I applied for the MSc Medical Anthropology at Oxford (Jan deadline) and MPhil Social Anthropology with medical anthropology specialization (Jan deadline)

Hi all,
I applied to mphil in social anthropology by the funding deadline for cambridge and moved to pao status on feb 12 -13, and haven't heard anything else except an email about funding. I'm here waiting it out with you all! By the way, do you guys know anything about funding chances for international students?
Reply 6
Original post by aon12
Hi all,
I applied to mphil in social anthropology by the funding deadline for cambridge and moved to pao status on feb 12 -13, and haven't heard anything else except an email about funding. I'm here waiting it out with you all! By the way, do you guys know anything about funding chances for international students?

Hi, congratulations for being moved to the PAO status, I'm still under department review. Applied by the funding deadline as well. I'm an international student too and the question of funding remains integral to my acceptance of the offer, if at all it ever comes. By the way, got rejected by Gates in the past week.
Congratulations! May I ask which date / month did you send in your application?
Reply 8
I applied on the 6th of January, exactly the funding deadline lol! I'm nervous about funding since I know funding for masters is rare, or so it seems from what I have gathered online.
Reply 9
Just got an update from the Official Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2022 thread that application statuses have apparently changed today. There's one candidate who's under degree committee review while two people have been moved to the PAO status. Do check your self-service portal. I'm still under department review, so I'm perhaps heading for a rejection.
Hey there - thanks for letting me know! My application just says submitted (not sure what department review is? Did yours change to that from submitted)? What date did you apply exactly? Hopefully you hear soon! Waiting is not fun.
Hey there - thanks for letting me know! My application just says submitted (not sure what department review is? Did yours change to that from submitted)? What date did you apply exactly? Hopefully you hear soon! Waiting is not fun.

I'm actually done with waiting now. Just want my rejection letter so I'll be free from this all too consuming anxiety. I applied by the funding deadline in Jan (it was either the 2nd or 3rd of Jan, can't remember). If I can trust my memory, it was under department review from the very submission date itself, not sure though.
I'm actually done with waiting now. Just want my rejection letter so I'll be free from this all too consuming anxiety. I applied by the funding deadline in Jan (it was either the 2nd or 3rd of Jan, can't remember). If I can trust my memory, it was under department review from the very submission date itself, not sure though.

Best of luck! It appears they have sent out some early offers, but as can be seen from this thread and the others - funding is important to a lot of people, so a decent number of those with offers may not accept them and there is absolutely the chance of a late acceptance. Hope we both hear soon! Did you apply to Oxford too? I just received a UCL offer today but waiting on Oxford, Cambridge and Columbia still.
Best of luck! It appears they have sent out some early offers, but as can be seen from this thread and the others - funding is important to a lot of people, so a decent number of those with offers may not accept them and there is absolutely the chance of a late acceptance. Hope we both hear soon! Did you apply to Oxford too? I just received a UCL offer today but waiting on Oxford, Cambridge and Columbia still.

Congratulations on your UCL offer! Do you mind sharing your background? And yes, I have applied to Oxford as well.
Thank you. My background -I graduated from Oxford in 2016 with a 1st in a humanities subject. Since then I’ve been working in an industry that I hope to study in the context of an MPhil / DPhil. How about you?
Reply 15
congratulations on ucl! I totally understand the consuming anxiety. Do you guys know if the conditional offers go out at the same time or depend on when you were moved to pao status? From what i have seen online, conditional offers were already made by this time last year...
Thank you. My background -I graduated from Oxford in 2016 with a 1st in a humanities subject. Since then I’ve been working in an industry that I hope to study in the context of an MPhil / DPhil. How about you?

I am an international applicant with a first degree in a social science subject from the UK (non Russell group University). Currently, I'm working in a public health related field.
Original post by aon12
congratulations on ucl! I totally understand the consuming anxiety. Do you guys know if the conditional offers go out at the same time or depend on when you were moved to pao status? From what i have seen online, conditional offers were already made by this time last year...

I've heard about delays in Cambridge offers due to the ongoing strikes. No idea about Oxford though
Reply 18
Hello,I applied to Oxford and Cambridge for Social Anthropology too. Oxford - I applied for the MSc in Social Anthropology in January, right before the January deadline. I did not apply for funding. I have not heard back. I have seen elsewhere on studentroom that some people have already received offers, I wonder if these people applied for funding. I have seen on studentroom that last year a load of rejections and acceptances were sent out between 18-21st March, which is around 8-10 weeks after the application deadline. So there is still hope!Cambridge - I applied for the MPhil in Social Anthropology, in mid January (after the funding deadline). I asked the admissions department when my application might be reviewed and was told that it would be after all the applicants who have gone for funding have been considered, so mid February onwards. When I called this week they told me I could hear anytime in late April / early May, though conceded some responses are sent earlier. I have seen that some people have already been accepted, again I wonder what the relevance of applying for funding is on decision timings. Good luck with your application and keep me posted if you hear!

Hey! I applied for MSc in Social Anthropoogy too, for the November deadline but I received an email saying they needed to reevaluate me against the January applications.. Good luck with yours :biggrin: Hoping we both get in!
Reply 19
just received a conditional offer! waiting for you all to receive yours so we can celebrate together!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending