Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Viceroy
No matter what uni you go to, you'll be great!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thank you :smile:, best of luck with all your applications.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 381
Original post by Fisichella
Commiserations, did you get any indication as to why, or perhaps have any ideas yourself?

If it was HoA you applied to, it seems judging from the application statistcis like a course that has grown in competitiveness very rapidly :frown:

Nevertheless, I thought that you'd have a superb chance judging from your review post. Somewhere great will almost certainly snap you up.

Thank you. No, they did not give any explanation as to why. I think it may be due to my research proposal. I had never written one before and did not even know where to begin, given that in the US that's not something required for a masters application. I thought my topic was good, but possibly too broad. I would say that was the section of the application I had the most trouble with. I contacted my preferred supervisor directly, first with a short description of my proposed topic and then with the full research proposal. She responded to the first e-mail but not to the second (which had me a bit worried). Other than that, I thought my application was pretty solid.

Thank you for your comments, I hope so :smile:. Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply 382
Original post by Historiana
I applied in October, so it really should have been straightforward. It was 'Under consideration by Dept' for a few days, then went to 'Under consideration by Deg. Comm' where it's been for 8 weeks nearly. I see from others, that they were approved much sooner after applying later. I suspect they're leaving me to last, to see if there are better candidates before rejecting me. UCL offered me a place within a week of applying and dropped their standard offer for me, asking for a reply within four weeks of it being made. My time to decide is nearly up, and I genuinely don't see Cambridge accepting me or offering me a place. My average is/was bang on 67% so not that great.

I understand your pain and your emotional situation. I was desperate too. But 8 weeks is nothing for cambridge. I waited 8 months. It is not bad at all (i mean in terms of your acceptance chances)to wait and please don't withdraw your application only because you have to answer to ucl (if im not mistaken). If you call them they are more than happy to extend the time you have in order to decide (i did it so i know that they can do it easily)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 383
Original post by Historiana
I applied in October, so it really should have been straightforward. It was 'Under consideration by Dept' for a few days, then went to 'Under consideration by Deg. Comm' where it's been for 8 weeks nearly. I see from others, that they were approved much sooner after applying later. I suspect they're leaving me to last, to see if there are better candidates before rejecting me. UCL offered me a place within a week of applying and dropped their standard offer for me, asking for a reply within four weeks of it being made. My time to decide is nearly up, and I genuinely don't see Cambridge accepting me or offering me a place. My average is/was bang on 67% so not that great.

Original post by threeportdrift
You are mistaking the logic of these things. They are not waiting to see if there are better candidates before rejecting you, they are waiting to see if there are better candidates before accepting you. and there is more to the decision that just grades. If they intended to reject you, they would have done so immediately ie as soon as that position was clear. The longer you stay hanging in there, the longer you are beating off the competition.

You can reply positively to UCL and still wait to see how the Cambridge hand plays out before making a final decision. If a University wants yes to mean yes, they'll ask for a non-refundable deposit.

To back up what threeportdrift said.

I don't know specifics about history but I do know last year there were a good number of people who applied in October and didn't hear until Feb or March. The process is generally slow.
My application for MPhil Architecture and Urban Design is now complete :smile: Will be crossing my fingers for the next months! What do you think are my chances with a high 2.1 (around 67 average but 70+ on dissertation and humanities based modules), good research proposal - I hope - and a recommendation from my tutor who went to Cambridge for her masters and PhD? Architecture is really a tough one to predict, I know...
Original post by andreasp90
My application for MPhil Architecture and Urban Design is now complete :smile: Will be crossing my fingers for the next months! What do you think are my chances with a high 2.1 (around 67 average but 70+ on dissertation and humanities based modules), good research proposal - I hope - and a recommendation from my tutor who went to Cambridge for her masters and PhD? Architecture is really a tough one to predict, I know...

Good luck! If you meet the entry requirements and have submitted a relatively cogent research proposal dovetailing with the department's interests, then you definitely have a chance :smile:

I wonder how helpful a recommendation from someone familiar with the faculty is; one of my referees is a permanent visiting fellow in my prospective department, so I certainly hope it is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by blueskybuttons
Where have you read that? Degree committee can call people to interview and reject applications. (I believe).

I was under the impression that, yes, it is just document checking etc. The academic decision is made by the department. But I may be wrong!
Reply 387
Original post by HistoryTom
I was under the impression that, yes, it is just document checking etc. The academic decision is made by the department. But I may be wrong!

It will vary between departments, but it is certainly not always document checking etc. - that's BoGS.
Got email today saying who my supervisor would be if went to Cambridge. They're not at all related to the things I like so not sure if it's a more general supervisor or what but still :sad:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Got email today saying who my supervisor would be if went to Cambridge. They're not at all related to the things I like so not sure if it's a more general supervisor or what but still :sad:

Ohh no :frown:

Did you specify a preference for a prospective supervisor in your application? I thought that departments always tried to find unity between an applicants interests and their supervisor. Are you sure that the supervisor that's been assigned to your is all that bad?
Original post by wilson_smith
Ohh no :frown:

Did you specify a preference for a prospective supervisor in your application? I thought that departments always tried to find unity between an applicants interests and their supervisor. Are you sure that the supervisor that's been assigned to your is all that bad?

Found out what it is, because mine's a taught masters they give us just a general supervisor then in lent term assign us one linked to our thesis. Makes a lot more sense!
Found out what it is, because mine's a taught masters they give us just a general supervisor then in lent term assign us one linked to our thesis. Makes a lot more sense!

Yaaay! :birthday:
Is it a good sign that my potential supervisor contacted me and sent a long reply to my initial email in which I introduced myself and my research idea. And then suggested I send over my proposal so he could have a look at it. I sent it over and got loads of useful comments and he said it was 'very promising'.

I've applied for a PhD- sent in my application, but have until next week to hand in supporting documents.

Oh congratulations! As for your question about the MPhil, I also applied to the other place and for reasons related to funding I am there right now.

Oh don't worry, the general supervisor that I was assigned at Cambridge worked in a completely different area. What areas of Linguistics are you interested in?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by sofiapofia
Is it a good sign that my potential supervisor contacted me and sent a long reply to my initial email in which I introduced myself and my research idea. And then suggested I send over my proposal so he could have a look at it. I sent it over and got loads of useful comments and he said it was 'very promising'.

I've applied for a PhD- sent in my application, but have until next week to hand in supporting documents.

Obviously that's a good sign - need you ask?

Getting accepted by a supervisor is only <half the battle of the course...
Original post by Vousden
Obviously that's a good sign - need you ask?

Getting accepted by a supervisor is only <half the battle of the course...

Haha well you know, the whole process is nerve wracking. I'm going to meet my potential supervisor at a conference in early Jan ahhhhhhh
Original post by wilson_smith
Yaaay! :birthday:

:jive:

Original post by sofiapofia
Oh congratulations! As for your question about the MPhil, I also applied to the other place and for reasons related to funding I am there right now.

Oh don't worry, the general supervisor that I was assigned at Cambridge worked in a completely different area. What areas of Linguistics are you interested in?

Ahhh the other place :teehee:

I'm interested in a lot of linguistics, but I think my main focus is the impact of language on power relations and kinda watered down Sapir-Whorf hypothesis (so my dissertation is on rape culture in the media). So a lot of kinda psycho and sociolinguistic stuff, plus some critical discourse analysis. Also really love syntax (although I've studied more advanced syntax than the basic syntax course for the MPhil at Cambridge)
Emma have accepted me :woo:

Gahhh now I don't know what to do!
Reply 398
Emma have accepted me :woo:

Gahhh now I don't know what to do!

I think the impressive speed with which you have gone through the process is a sign :wink:
Original post by sj27
I think the impressive speed with which you have gone through the process is a sign :wink:

Ha ha a few months back before I applied I did have a dream where I was moving into Emma (and my parents were super excited because it was their old college)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending