The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by twoply
It took the music department exactly a week to get back to me.

Good luck!

Great, thank you so much!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1181
Original post by eggs_and_bacon
That's quite a negative view - why would you assume diversity is the reason he got in rather than his academic abilities?

It's not negative at all, if you stop to think about it. The argument is the same as the original point I was trying to make: here is someone admitted to maths part III with full funding paying for international student fees. His academic abilities are not in doubt. But - and my point was - that is pretty much a given for most people admitted to Cambridge, so unless Trinity wants its grad cohort to be entirely homogenous, I assume they are looking for some diversity aspect too, just like most colleges.

Whatever, we clearly have a poster who thinks his academic abilities are superior to most other postgrad applicants, so whether or not he gets accepted to Trinity (and I seem to recall he doesn't even have an offer yet even though offers for that course have already started going out a while ago) we may have a bit of Cambridge down-to-earth kicking in at some stage. By which I mean, it can be quite a shock for someone used to coming top of his/her class/year etc arriving at Cam, only to find there are a whole bunch of other people like that too, especially in the competitive courses, and they are no longer so "special" !!
Original post by sj27
It's not negative at all, if you stop to think about it. The argument is the same as the original point I was trying to make: here is someone admitted to maths part III with full funding paying for international student fees. His academic abilities are not in doubt. But - and my point was - that is pretty much a given for most people admitted to Cambridge, so unless Trinity wants its grad cohort to be entirely homogenous, I assume they are looking for some diversity aspect too, just like most colleges.

Whatever, we clearly have a poster who thinks his academic abilities are superior to most other postgrad applicants, so whether or not he gets accepted to Trinity (and I seem to recall he doesn't even have an offer yet even though offers for that course have already started going out a while ago) we may have a bit of Cambridge down-to-earth kicking in at some stage. By which I mean, it can be quite a shock for someone used to coming top of his/her class/year etc arriving at Cam, only to find there are a whole bunch of other people like that too, especially in the competitive courses, and they are no longer so "special" !!

Ok, I hear you. It can sometimes sound a bit cynical, as I'm sure you're aware. As a girl I have been told before by male friends that the main reason I have got certain opportunities is because I'm female and they are trying to positively discriminate or ensure an equal gender ratio - which naturally I find irritating. But I understand that you weren't undermining the guy's academic abilities, rather that the level of academics among applicants is generally outstanding and that diverse backgrounds can be one of the factors in scholarship distribution.

Another poster said you were being "ironic" which I didn't get...
Original post by georgeaustralia
Day fifteen for me. Will you keep me posted, and I'll do the same?

Sure - when I say day 10, I mean 10 working days. Overall it's day 14 (as in I got my offer two weeks ago today).
Sure - when I say day 10, I mean 10 working days. Overall it's day 14 (as in I got my offer two weeks ago today).

Ah. In that case, likewise. What are you going to be studying?
Original post by ardroc
Of course not but, as I said before, once they have established that they want a certain percentage of English students, a certain percentage of foreign students and a certain number of mathematicians then the ones they pick have to be stronger than average simply given the number of applicants they have to pick from.

It has been my experience (anecdotal, like Corinna's, if that is acceptable for you) that the vast majority of the British students studying at the very oversubscribed colleges are continuing undergrads. In order to balance this, the college then accepts lots of international students. I can think of only one British student at my college who didn't attend the college for his undergraduate, but in that case he studied at our sister college in Oxford, so there was a kind of link there. It would be interesting if there were any stats on this, but it is definitely something I have noticed from my own college.

Also, again you're assuming that colleges are able to build up a large pool of applicants to choose from. They can't, simply put, as the Board of Graduate Studies don't allow them to do so, otherwise because they'd have to reject most of them and then suddenly a whole host of applicants descend on second-preference colleges, and the pool. You're also assuming that departments and faculties give out their offers around the same time, and thus colleges can pick and choose - they don't. Some, such as the Judge, wait until after the deadline before even looking at applications. So seeing as Trinity, St John's etc. probably want a few economists etc for diversity, they have to keep a few spaces and that means rejecting very brilliant historians, engineers, linguists etc who happen to get offers earlier.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi Pricklypear,

My appliation status moved to Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies a few days ago. Does it mean I have a good chance to receive a offer? Also, I wonder how long did it take until you got your offer from the BoGS after this status? Many thanks!!
Ok, I hear you. It can sometimes sound a bit cynical, as I'm sure you're aware. As a girl I have been told before by male friends that the main reason I have got certain opportunities is because I'm female and they are trying to positively discriminate or ensure an equal gender ratio - which naturally I find irritating. But I understand that you weren't undermining the guy's academic abilities, rather that the level of academics among applicants is generally outstanding and that diverse backgrounds can be one of the factors in scholarship distribution.

Another poster said you were being "ironic" which I didn't get...

Haha yeah, I had misread her post. I thought she was claiming that the person got an offer from the faculty because of diversity, and that she was just turning the point around...(yes, a complicated case of me reading posts early in the morning...)
In any case, what sj says is exactly what my point has been; every year for 4 years now (as long as I've been in these postgrad application threads) we get those applicants who think that getting into Trinity/Johns is an extraordinary achievement that only their amazing brilliance can justify, and similarly we get those who feel disheartened or even unworthy if they get rejected, and people just don't get that college allocation means nothing about your academic abilities; you got into Cambridge! that's what matters.

The bottom line is that these people only apply to these colleges cause they want to be a part of this reputation that the colleges have. Then they try to justify it as a valid academic choice (which it clearly isn't), rather than being honest and saying 'yeah, I want to brag about being in Johns) or just being realistic and saying 'yeah, Johns/Trinity is a wealthy college and I want to be there and take advantage of this wealth', which I think is a much more valid argument for choosing a college (simply because richer colleges tend to provide more financial support for conferences/academic trips etc.)
Reply 1188
Original post by vincedp
I'm on day 9 for St.Johns....

Does anyone know what the Colleges need in terms of further documentation?

Told myself I won't obsess about my application this year, but ever since I got the offer I've been anxiously checking CamSIS for any news on colleges. Count me in on the John's waiting game.

I don't think colleges ask for any further documentation unless it's something specific for some scholarships (e.g. King's might ask for a writing sample if you applied to their studentship). Or are you talking about the post-offer situation???
Reply 1189
Original post by remyllie
Told myself I won't obsess about my application this year, but ever since I got the offer I've been anxiously checking CamSIS for any news on colleges. Count me in on the John's waiting game.

I don't think colleges ask for any further documentation unless it's something specific for some scholarships (e.g. King's might ask for a writing sample if you applied to their studentship). Or are you talking about the post-offer situation???

Yeah Post-Offer....
Reply 1190
Original post by sj27
His academic abilities are not in doubt. But - and my point was - that is pretty much a given for most people admitted to Cambridge, so unless Trinity wants its grad cohort to be entirely homogenous, I assume they are looking for some diversity aspect too, just like most colleges.

The academic ability of people admitted to Cambridge is not in doubt. But there is a difference between someone who came 50th in the year and someone who came top 3 in the year at Cambridge part 2 for math, even though both will be admitted to part 3. And I think the person from South Africa is really really brilliant more likely than not.

Original post by sj27
Whatever, we clearly have a poster who thinks his academic abilities are superior to most other postgrad applicants, so whether or not he gets accepted to Trinity

It's funny how you figured out so many things about me.
Well, as a start I'm not applying to Trinity as I don't think I am good enough. The only reason why I brought this whole thing up is that Corinna told someone else in this forum who had been turned down by trinity something like "The Tompkins table is only for undergraduates. Why would this even affect your decision." And I think the Tompkins table does have an effect on how postgraduate applicants perceive colleges, or at least it does in America. If I knew I was good enough I would probably apply to Trinity too.

Original post by sj27
we may have a bit of Cambridge down-to-earth kicking in at some stage. By which I mean, it can be quite a shock for someone used to coming top of his/her class/year etc arriving at Cam, only to find there are a whole bunch of other people like that too, especially in the competitive courses, and they are no longer so "special" !!

I believe I have had that a long time ago. I am currently at MIT and I'm not even in the top 50% of my year here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1191
Original post by ardroc
The academic ability of people admitted to Cambridge is not in doubt. But there is a difference between someone who came 50th in the year and someone who came top 3 in the year at Cambridge part 2 for math, even though both will be admitted to part 3. And I think the person from South Africa is really really brilliant more likely than not.

It's funny how you figured out so many things about me.
Well, as a start I'm not applying to Trinity as I don't think I am good enough. The only reason why I brought this whole thing up is that Corinna told someone else in this forum who had been turned down by trinity something like "The Tompkins table is only for undergraduates. Why would this even affect your decision." And I think the Tompkins table does have an effect on how postgraduate applicants perceive colleges, or at least it does in America. If I knew I was good enough I would probably apply to Trinity too.

I believe I have had that a long time ago. I am currently at MIT and I'm not even in the top 50% of my year here.

In my experience, someone who came 50th in their year is highly unlikely to be at Cambridge for postgrad.

If I recall correctly, the reference guidelines suggest referees mention where in the class the applicant is situated, and of course the form itself has a box to list academic prizes, scholarships etc. I understand these form an important part of the admissions process.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1192
Original post by sj27
In my experience, someone who came 50th in their year is highly unlikely to be at Cambridge for postgrad.

Well, if you are 50th in the year for part 2 math at Cambridge, your place is assured for part 3.

Being in the top 60% (about top 60 students) at MIT I think I stand a good chance for part 3.
Reply 1193
Original post by ardroc
Well, if you are 50th in the year for part 2 math at Cambridge, your place is assured for part 3.

Being in the top 60% (about top 60 students) at MIT I think I stand a good chance for part 3.

Good luck with your application.
Original post by georgeaustralia
Ah. In that case, likewise. What are you going to be studying?

Just come through that I'm unsuccessful at kings! Can't for the life of me remember what my second choice college was! :biggrin:
Reply 1195
Hello everyone, does anyone know how many people are usually accepted into the Mphil English - Modern and Contemporary Literature? What's the acceptance rate?

Of those accepted, how many are selected to proceed for a Phd at the end of the year?

Of course it would be helpful to hear any rough idea, I don't expect to find precise statistics on this.

One more thing: how can you apply during your last undergrad year, if the application success is partly based on your grades?

Thank you very much, have a good day .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tommy E.
Hello everyone, does anyone know how many people are usually accepted into the Mphil English - Modern and Contemporary Literature? What's the acceptance rate?

Of those accepted, how many are selected to proceed for a Phd at the end of the year?

Of course it would be helpful to hear any rough idea, I don't expect to find precise statistics on this.

One more thing: how can you apply during your last undergrad year, if the application success is partly based on your grades?

Thank you very much, have a good day .

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/gpegs.html

I'm assuming that MPhil is one of the strands of this?

In which case, at the last year of available data (2009-2010): a quarter of applicants to the 'English Studies' MPhils got offers.

Of respondents to the future destinations survey, it seems between a quarter to a third of the graduates from the MPhil between 2008-2011 continued to PhD, but not necessarily at Cambridge.

As for the other part of your question: You send them a transcript showing your first and second (and third if it is a 4 yr undergrad course) year marks/grades. If they show sufficient promise, and everything else in the application (references/research proposal/writing sample or whatever the department asks for) is good enough, then you get an offer conditional on attaining a certain mark/grade either overall in your degree, or just to graduate with a certain mark/grade in your final year.
(edited 10 years ago)
My status just changed to "Awaiting decision by BoGS". Finally! I'm over the moooon, so thrilled :biggrin:
Reply 1198
What confuses me a lot right now that I'm an average-ish (certainly not top 3 of my class) BSc student at a small (and pretty awful compared to Warwick/Oxford/etc.) UK university and have been invited for interview for a PhD at Cambridge, and it's not even in the same discipline as my undergrad. I mean, I found a supervisor there around October and he wants to work with me, apparently, but I'm nowhere near the usual calibre of applicant.

In the end, I would pay the train ticket to have a 20 minute conversation with the guy even without a chance to get a PhD position because his research is really fascinating.

And then a couple of times a day, I start thinking they made some sort of mistake and mixed up my application somehow. This is seriously just confusing, in a good way.

So in conclusion, yay interview?
Reply 1199
Original post by Kalivha
What confuses me a lot right now that I'm an average-ish (certainly not top 3 of my class) BSc student at a small (and pretty awful compared to Warwick/Oxford/etc.) UK university and have been invited for interview for a PhD at Cambridge, and it's not even in the same discipline as my undergrad. I mean, I found a supervisor there around October and he wants to work with me, apparently, but I'm nowhere near the usual calibre of applicant.

In the end, I would pay the train ticket to have a 20 minute conversation with the guy even without a chance to get a PhD position because his research is really fascinating.

And then a couple of times a day, I start thinking they made some sort of mistake and mixed up my application somehow. This is seriously just confusing, in a good way.

So in conclusion, yay interview?

Pretty sure we all get moments like that. Just take it as it comes! Congratulations on the interview =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending