The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by greeneyedgirl
YAY another Emma person! Apparently it's pretty okay (no Cambridge accommodation is great) but they've been in the process of redoing it!

Hey guys!

Congrats to those who have gotten offers! I was just wondering when those of you that have heard back form Cambridge sent in your applications?

Thanks
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by vincedp
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but "up to" means maximum, right? So It should be weird that one college is taking >15 days?

Yeah but I think it's very much an aim rather than an absolute, esp when loadsa offers being made at one time

Original post by ar88
Also have been accepted at Emma :smile: It looks beautiful and I hope I am able to go. What did your parents like most about Emma? (Though I suppose it has probably changed a bit since)

:woo: lots of Emma people!

I think they really liked the fact it's not a massive college but still pretty big, plus cheap bar and good food.

Original post by Asomogyi
Hey guys!

Congrats to those who have gotten offers! I was just wondering when those of you that have heard back form Cambridge sent in your applications?

Thanks

Sent mine start of November
Reply 1382
Original post by vincedp
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but "up to" means maximum, right? So It should be weird that one college is taking >15 days?

I assume your 1st and 2nd preferences are two of the Big Three colleges (King's, St. John's and Trinity)?

My friend put Jesus as her top choice, and she's still waiting for their decisions even after 10 working days. In addition, Jesus is probably not even as popular as the Big Three (although probably still popular?).

This time of the year is the busiest for all departments and colleges, so a little patience wouldn't hurt!
I really regret having put two of the three most popular, I didn't really inform myself at all and would now pick completely different colleges :frown: I just thought I'd jinx my luck with the entire application if I thought about picking colleges too much. Very stupid thought process :wink:
Reply 1384
Original post by TCAZN
I assume your 1st and 2nd preferences are two of the Big Three colleges (King's, St. John's and Trinity)?

St. Johns is my first. My second is Queens (which has some sort of deal with my MPhil for preferable admittance). So yeah, I guess i'll be patient.
Reply 1385
Original post by catharina91
I really regret having put two of the three most popular, I didn't really inform myself at all and would now pick completely different colleges :frown: I just thought I'd jinx my luck with the entire application if I thought about picking colleges too much. Very stupid thought process :wink:

Hey cheer up my friend! I heard that most people are happy with their colleges wherever they end up going!

I thought someone mentioned how college memberships don't really mean that much for postgrads, so yeah just be proud that you made it into one of the greatest educational institutions in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1386
Original post by vincedp
St. Johns is my first. My second is Queens (which has some sort of deal with my MPhil for preferable admittance). So yeah, I guess i'll be patient.

On the other hand, the fact that they still haven't made a decision yet means you still have a chance with St John's. Good luck my friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1387
Original post by TCAZN
just be proud that you made it into one of the greatest educational institutions in the world.

I guess thats true :wink: but arent we all a little greedy....

Although Cambridge did slip below Harvard in the QS World Rankings.... seriously thinking about reconsidering coming to Cam! :smile:
Reply 1388
Just got into St. Johns! never despair :wink:
It's weird how the speed differs between different applications though... I know someone who was rejected by St John's yesterday, only 5 days after their offer. The reason can't be the "high season of applications" only, since vincedp has been waiting for longer... Also I'm not sure it has anything to do with rejections/offers, I also know people who've waited 3 weeks for rejections...All very mysterious. They must be sorting applications by some other mechanism (like field of study, nationality or whatever).

And yes TCAZN, you're right. My joy about the offer at Cam is waaaay greater than worrying about colleges. The only colleges I really don't want to go to are the women's only. But I'd probably even end up liking those I guess.
Reply 1390
Original post by vincedp
Just got into St. Johns! never despair :wink:

Nice and congrats :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1391
It's weird how the speed differs between different applications though... I know someone who was rejected by St John's yesterday, only 5 days after their offer. The reason can't be the "high season of applications" only, since vincedp has been waiting for longer... Also I'm not sure it has anything to do with rejections/offers, I also know people who've waited 3 weeks for rejections...All very mysterious. They must be sorting applications by some other mechanism (like field of study, nationality or whatever).

I bet they wait untill a number of applications have collected in their "inbox" and then they sort through them. The also possibly keep some waiting to see if some better ones come in.
Reply 1392

And yes TCAZN, you're right. My joy about the offer at Cam is waaaay greater than worrying about colleges. The only colleges I really don't want to go to are the women's only. But I'd probably even end up liking those I guess.

I went to Lucy Cavendish with a friend to a halloween party last term. It was pretty awesome. I didn't actually get to tour around the college, but the people there were very nice and friendly (and certainly know how to enjoy life).

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1393

They do indeed sort by those factors as colleges want a diverse grad cohort.

And I'd rather be in a women's only college like Newnham (which is gorgeous, and super convenient for sidgwick) than ... some others. Who shall remain nameless. At the end of the day, the important thing is indeed being at Cam.

Vince, congratulations on your John's offer!
Speaking of college applications, for the past week my CamSIS has said 'Unsuccessful at King's, Seeking college membership'. It's now changed to just plain 'Seeking college Membership'.

Does this mean that I've been pooled? Or should I also expect it to say 'Unsuccessful at second choice'?
Accepted at Magdalene :biggrin: It's all down to the Gods of funding now- I'm making daily sacrifices on Arthur's Seat!
Hi guys,

I applied to the MPhil in Economics in Mid January and got an email yesterday that my application was "put on hold" and will be considered again once all other MPhil applications have been reviewed.

Does anyone know what that means and how good chances of admission are? I think this is quite strange since I applied 2 weeks before deadlines and I guess there's not that many applications that haven't been reviewed yet... So this basically means rejection?
Reply 1397
Hi everyone, it's been one month since I received an offer. However my status still says "You have accepted your offer" while my College membership says "Seeking college membership". Just wondering if this is normal? Shouldn't the status say something like "under consideration by xxx college" according to another post? Many thanks!
Original post by kkkoala
Hi everyone, it's been one month since I received an offer. However my status still says "You have accepted your offer" while my College membership says "Seeking college membership". Just wondering if this is normal? Shouldn't the status say something like "under consideration by xxx college" according to another post? Many thanks!

I guess you've been rejected by your first two choices, right?
Camsis won't show you the colleges considering you after that.
If you're really curious which college your application's with at the moment call up BOGS, apparently they can tell you.

P.S.
I am in the same boat, almost 5 weeks and no College Allocation :frown:((
Reply 1399
All this mystery surrounding college membership is slowly getting to me! My status has been "Seeking College Membership" ever since I got an offer 25 days ago and I've been having dreams/nightmares of getting rejected/accepted... Maybe I will give BoGS a ring to check where my application is exactly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending