The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Placing my hope for CISS.. Still counting down.. 11 more days..
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by vincedp
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/studentregistry/staff/grad/pdf/fundingtable2014.pdf

of course, department funding and colege funding come later.

ah okay, thanks :smile: it seems like it has to be before Friday, which isn't looking hopeful for me. Ah well! There hasn't been a degree committee meeting for HSPS since the 23rd January though, which is a bit strange as this is before the faculty even received the list of eligible people for funding, so is it just that they make the decisions to do with funding before/separate from degree committee meetings?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1582
Darwin is an all-grad college, I believe, so it has a different feel from the other colleges. (Though I'm not sure how, exactly...) I don't know about the food, but the accommodation I've seen looks nice. They have a gym, which is somewhat unusual, and it's right on the river with pretty gardens. The Dar Bar is also famous for staying open late! But oddly enough, I haven't actually been there (guess I have an early bedtime)!

Thank you very much for this :smile: I'm guessing it's probably a bit quieter than other colleges which suits me fine! The location does look very pretty...I'd love some info about the accommodation but thanks so much again :smile:
Reply 1583
Original post by Koektrommel
My status has been "awaiting approval by BGS" for 20 days now. I read on their website that it "may take up to 7 days" for the BGS to make a decision and I read in this thread that the BGS is mostly just a formality. So what could be going on all this time? Any experiences with this? I'm bad at waiting ;_;

Mine was on BoGS for 20 days (or 14 working days) before I got an offer.

Hope all turns out well for you!
Reply 1584
Original post by flywithemma
Ah well! There hasn't been a degree committee meeting for HSPS since the 23rd January though, which is a bit strange as this is before the faculty even received the list of eligible people for funding, so is it just that they make the decisions to do with funding before/separate from degree committee meetings?

Honestly, I dare anyone to propose a PhD @ Cambridge investigating the intricacies and complexities of the funding process. I guess no one really knows exactly how it works.
English MPhil applicants!...

Just emailed Anna Fox and had this response:

I hope to have an idea of the result by the end of this week. It's taken longer than usual to make decisions this year as we've had so many applications.
best wishes
Anna
Given the odds, I find it surprising that only one of us has received a interview invite from the Gates Cambridge Trust.
Reply 1587
Original post by art_history
Given the odds, I find it surprising that only one of us has received a interview invite from the Gates Cambridge Trust.

Well plus 4 friends of the earlier poster.

Im also surprised. but hey, its only 110 of how many?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by vincedp
Well plus 4 friends of the earlier poster.

Im also surprised. but hey, its only 110 of how many?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still that is only 5/110. Although the initial application number is high for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, the total number of students admitted to Cambridge is significantly lower. As such, I would imagine the odds are closer to 1/10 (or perhaps even better) that an admitted student who applied is shortlisted for an interview.
Reply 1589
Original post by art_history

I happened to encounter this forum only a couple of days ago and have now joined, and I have not received a notification from the Gates Cambridge Trust either :wink:.
Reply 1590
Dear all,

I have been following this thread for some time now, but lost track of it in between. I will be applying to MRes Photonics at Cambridge. I graduated from Newcastle University with Electronic Engineering degree with a high 2.1. You people think it is worth it to try a shot at Cambridge, since they list the minimum requirement as 2.1?

I am currently doing a MSc in microelectronics.

Please advise, especially if someone has applied for this program or some similar ones.

Thanks.
Reply 1591
Original post by xxxfairymaryxxx
English MPhil applicants!...

Just emailed Anna Fox and had this response:

I hope to have an idea of the result by the end of this week. It's taken longer than usual to make decisions this year as we've had so many applications.
best wishes
Anna

I'm not liking the "so many applications" thing, lol.
For those of you who are disappointed about the Gates, I totally understand, yet I think it's important to remember how incredibly competitive the Gates is. I've now been turned down twice, and it IS hard to take. But even to be accepted into Cambridge is a real privilege, and the Gates scholars are really some of the top scholars in the whole world. I know really amazing and smart people who have done fantastic things, but who got turned down by the Gates committee. And the Gates scholars I've met are really world-shaking people who have excellent academic work, incredible life experiences, a very heavy dose of ambition, AND the ability to distill their goals and talents into 500 compelling words.

Even if you didn't get it, that doesn't mean you're not a great scholar and an incredibly talented and driven person. It just means that there are 150 people (out of thousands!) who managed to convince the Gates committee that they were even the tiniest bit more driven.

I guess I remember being really sad after not getting it the first time, but now, having met a few of the Gates scholars, I'm like, "Meh. I guess I wasn't what they were looking for." And it's not as big a deal as it might seem right now.

So cheer up as soon as you can-- You'll still do plenty of wonderful things in your life :smile:
Reply 1593
Original post by abcdiana02

So cheer up as soon as you can-- You'll still do plenty of wonderful things in your life :smile:

True. Did you get other funding though? Being accepted to cambridge is great but im sure there are some that cant actually go there without any funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1594
Original post by abcdiana02
For those of you who are disappointed about the Gates, I totally understand, yet I think it's important to remember how incredibly competitive the Gates is. I've now been turned down twice, and it IS hard to take. But even to be accepted into Cambridge is a real privilege, and the Gates scholars are really some of the top scholars in the whole world. I know really amazing and smart people who have done fantastic things, but who got turned down by the Gates committee. And the Gates scholars I've met are really world-shaking people who have excellent academic work, incredible life experiences, a very heavy dose of ambition, AND the ability to distill their goals and talents into 500 compelling words.

Even if you didn't get it, that doesn't mean you're not a great scholar and an incredibly talented and driven person. It just means that there are 150 people (out of thousands!) who managed to convince the Gates committee that they were even the tiniest bit more driven.

I guess I remember being really sad after not getting it the first time, but now, having met a few of the Gates scholars, I'm like, "Meh. I guess I wasn't what they were looking for." And it's not as big a deal as it might seem right now.

this sounds really comforting, but I keep on checking my email :smile:)) I wish someone could stop me!
Reply 1595
Can we conclude that all interview notifications for Gates have been sent now?
Reply 1596
[h="2"]Round 2: (International)[/h]

c. 3,500 eligible applicants apply

around 250 are highly ranked by departments in Cambridge

110 are invited to interview

50 offered a Gates Cambridge Scholarship after interview

This information is from the Gates page, it also says on this page that if you hav not heard anything by mid March you have not been successful.

7% are highly ranked, 3% are interviewed, 1.4% are offered the Gates
Reply 1597
Original post by casusa
[h="2"]Round 2: (International)[/h]

c. 3,500 eligible applicants apply

around 250 are highly ranked by departments in Cambridge

110 are invited to interview

50 offered a Gates Cambridge Scholarship after interview

This information is from the Gates page, it also says on this page that if you hav not heard anything by mid March you have not been successful.

7% are highly ranked, 3% are interviewed, 1.4% are offered the Gates

And the 5.6% who dont get it, get the CISS and CHESS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1598
Sure, I know it's competitive. I'm just wondering if someone with prior experience with the scholarship can confirm that they send out all notifications at once, or whether they send them out in batches?
Reply 1599
Original post by vincedp
And the 5.6% who dont get it, get the CISS and CHESS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know much about CISS and CHESS.

The numbers I posted do no inculde the UK or US applicants. I think the US numbers for Gates are 800, 200, 100 and 40 who gets Gates.

From Gates there would be about 360 ranked highly, who did not get Gates. The UK applicants would also be considered for CHESS, if I am correct.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending