The Student Room Group

Exam Time

The exams r once again upon us. i actually have an exam this morning which i am very nervous about.
i have a lot less exams now then last year but you you have to learn heaps more just for that one exam.
i do not exam well. i tend too hyperventlate half way through. once i actually throw up on top of the exam paper. the superviser just moved me to another desk and gave me a fresh paper. did`nt even clean it up so i had to look at my vomit the whole way through the exam. started to smell too.
any other exam meltdowns out there?
Reply 1
Hope your exam goes well.

Unfortunately, a lot of people can't cope with exams, but it's just part of life. If more of us accepted it and stopped moaning about it then it would be so much easier. I'm not saying you're moaning, it's just the generall feeling I get nowadays.

Having sick near you in an exam can't have been pleasant though.
Reply 2
I feel sorry for the other people. I hope their exam chances weren't ruined because of your being sick. Indeed I'm sure hyperventalating would have been quite distracting too! Nevertheless, I hope you feel better this year - and do well too!
LoveLess
The exams r once again upon us. i actually have an exam this morning which i am very nervous about.
i have a lot less exams now then last year but you you have to learn heaps more just for that one exam.
i do not exam well. i tend too hyperventlate half way through. once i actually throw up on top of the exam paper. the superviser just moved me to another desk and gave me a fresh paper. did`nt even clean it up so i had to look at my vomit the whole way through the exam. started to smell too.
any other exam meltdowns out there?

Thats horrible. :frown: Have you spoken to your doctor about these nerves? I guess you could try some one-off anti-anxiety medication if your exam performance is suffering.
Reply 4
well docters cant really help since of course the symptoms go as soon as the exams over.
as for accepting exams i just dont think i could. iam not saying we should not be challgened in some way but i just dont agree with a one size fits all paper that detemans the worth of thousands of DIFFERENT types of kids.
exams are nothing to do with how much you know just how much you can cram in your head beforehand . in the the real world they dont make you memorize loads of facts without referance.
but what mainly bugs me is they make us go through this gruelling exam process we work really hard then afterwords they just complain that its too easy.
Reply 5
Big Fat Mel
I feel sorry for the other people. I hope their exam chances weren't ruined because of your being sick. Indeed I'm sure hyperventalating would have been quite distracting too! Nevertheless, I hope you feel better this year - and do well too!

trust me i felt sorry for the other people as well. i would have cleaned it up but the superviser would`nt let me. not that i could help vomiting. sort of thing the body does on it own voulition.
Reply 6
LoveLess
i just dont agree with a one size fits all paper that detemans the worth of thousands of DIFFERENT types of kids.
exams are nothing to do with how much you know just how much you can cram in your head beforehand . in the the real world they dont make you memorize loads of facts without referance.
but what mainly bugs me is they make us go through this gruelling exam process we work really hard then afterwords they just complain that its too easy.

This is true - there are many different types of intelligence and the standardised exams don't always reflect these. However, it's the only way of doing things otherwise people would have al these different kinds of qualifications and you would never be able to compnare them, which is obviuosly important for uni / jobs.

However, I swear the exams are getting easier! How else can you explain the pas rate going up all the time. There is no way the kids are just getting increasinly smart!
Reply 7
This is true - there are many different types of intelligence and the standardised exams don't always reflect these. However, it's the only way of doing things otherwise people would have al these different kinds of qualifications and you would never be able to compnare them, which is obviuosly important for uni / jobs.

However, I swear the exams are getting easier! How else can you explain the pas rate going up all the time. There is no way the kids are just getting increasinly smart!

i get exams are a necessary evil. And why cant kids just be getting smarter?
you just cant seem to win either way.their always bicthing about something. i know there should be a general standerd for uni/jobs but i really don`nt think exams are ther right way to do it.

Well what is the right way?

let them figure it out if were all so stupid
LoveLess
well docters cant really help since of course the symptoms go as soon as the exams over.

So what? I use anti-anxiety medication for one-off events that mess with my head: interviews, presentations, and for you its exams but to a more extreme level obviously. They work brilliantly and don't affect my performance negatively at all.

A decent doctor can help you, and will have met many others like you. Try it. :smile:
Reply 9
thanks very much for your advice. any side effects?
Not really, if you find the right medication for you. Your best bet is beta-blockers as they're quite light and few people have side effects from them, if any! (They just relax you a bit, but I'm not sure if they can help with the puking). :eek: But obviously your doc will know better than me, I'm just talking from experience, mention that you'd like to try something for one-off situations. Good luck.
Reply 11
the puking just happened one time.
christ if it was a regular thing they`d` never let me in the exam room

Latest

Trending

Trending