The Student Room Group

Can I sit an A Level exam in my school for a subject I don’t study at school?

I have been having mental problems for some time and the school let me drop 2 A levels. I had started with 4 Levels and officially dropped 1. I wanted to changed the 3rd one with another subject but the school don’t let pupil to chance A level subjects after 30th September so they didn’t let me. But they said I can carryon 2 Levels at school and do my third one outside school using my school as an exam centre. That sounded like a plan but now my school says they won’t let me sit my 3rd A level at school. I have to do it in another exam Centre. Can a school refuse a student to sit in an exam in there? I have checked the school policy and couldn’t find anything about that. Meanwhile they still didn’t officially drop my third A level subject.but as we agreed I don’t attend the 3rd level subject lessons for the last 2 terms.
I don’t want to push the school too much because they supported me by putting up with my absence. Obviously my absence was due to mental problems and they are supposed to support me but I am still keen to solve this amicably. How can I show them nicely that they have to let me sit an A level exam?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Why have they said No - is it because they dont do that Exam Board or another reason?
Find out.
Reply 2
They say if I sit exam at school it will seem like I competed 3 A levels at school as if I changed my 3rd A level in year 13. No other reason
Original post by McGinger
Why have they said No - is it because they dont do that Exam Board or another reason?
Find out.
Original post by Mollie-W
it will seem like I competed 3 A levels at school

So what.
It does seem rather an odd reason.
Reply 4
I know. So, any ideas, if a student apply to sit an exam can the school say no? Is there a legal reason to do that? Or even a sensible reason other than it will look like something else ? Hi
Original post by McGinger
So what.
It does seem rather an odd reason.
I know. So, any ideas, if a student apply to sit an exam can the school say no? Is there a legal reason to do that? Or even a sensible reason other than it will look like something else ? Hi

If you pay it shouldn't count on their data. Technically you are part-time if you are only doing two A levels - are they claiming full funding for you?
Reply 6
I will apply as an external student for that subject and I will pay for it. The school will be the exam Centre for that subject and I will also sit my 2 other A level subject at school as a student in school.
I think they haven’t officially dropped my third A level so they are still getting money for that but once everything is clear they will drop that and will get funding for 2 only.
I will apply as an external student for that subject and I will pay for it. The school will be the exam Centre for that subject and I will also sit my 2 other A level subject at school as a student in school.
I think they haven’t officially dropped my third A level so they are still getting money for that but once everything is clear they will drop that and will get funding for 2 only.

The school has no obligation to let you take exams for subjects they haven't taught you - surprisingly large numbers of schools don't let students do this but sometimes it is for good reasons. What subject is it?

It's not possible to be both an internal and an external candidate at the same centre at the same time - if your school enters you for the subject you are learning elsewhere it would have to be an an internal candidate.
Reply 8
Why a student can’t be an internal and external students at the same time for different subjects? I want to do the subject at school but they don’t let me because I cannot change a subject after 30th September. I asked to change in December and they did not accept. In the end they let me drop it (it turned out it wasn’t official) and they offered to do another A Level externally. So we had a plan. It was only this week they changed their mind and now they are asking me to sit the 3rd A level some where else
Original post by EBluebear
The school has no obligation to let you take exams for subjects they haven't taught you - surprisingly large numbers of schools don't let students do this but sometimes it is for good reasons. What subject is it?

It's not possible to be both an internal and an external candidate at the same centre at the same time - if your school enters you for the subject you are learning elsewhere it would have to be an an internal candidate.
Why a student can’t be an internal and external students at the same time for different subjects? I want to do the subject at school but they don’t let me because I cannot change a subject after 30th September. I asked to change in December and they did not accept. In the end they let me drop it (it turned out it wasn’t official) and they offered to do another A Level externally. So we had a plan. It was only this week they changed their mind and now they are asking me to sit the 3rd A level some where else

I'm assuming you are a UK candidate. I haven't dealt with exam entries for a while but this has been a rule about examination entries that UK centres have had to follow for a long time. I don't think it's changed. You can't be entered as both a school candidate and an external/private candidate in the same exam period at the same centre. It's a bit of red tape normally invisible to candidates and teachers and is all tied up with how education is funded, reported and measured. They might not have known it when they first suggested the plan. Some schools might choose to ignore the rules and enter you as a school candidate even though they have not taught you the course, but technically they shouldn't. All you/parents can do is meet with senior staff at the school and talk about whether they are willing to bend the rules for you.

No school is compelled to enter you for exams they have not prepared you for. I appreciate that taking your exams elsewhere might be a bit stressful, but there's plenty of time to sort it out before next summer. There will be lots of advice on your examiners web site. You will need to find a school, college or private centre that offers the exams you want and pay them the fee to enter you. As long as there are no practical or coursework elements and there are no schedule clashes it should be a painless process. If your mental health situation means you need/are entitled to any particular exam access arrangements, that would be something to sort out with the centre very early on. What are you planning to take? Which examiner?
(edited 1 year ago)
P.S. Your other choice might be to take your 2 subjects and wait for a year and do the exams for the 3rd A level as a private candidate the following year at your school. Although this delay might sound unattractive it will give you more time to get ready for it while taking care of your mental well being.
Reply 11
Original post by gdunne42
I'm assuming you are a UK candidate. I haven't dealt with exam entries for a while but this has been a rule about examination entries that UK centres have had to follow for a long time. I don't think it's changed. You can't be entered as both a school candidate and an external/private candidate in the same exam period at the same centre. It's a bit of red tape normally invisible to candidates and teachers and is all tied up with how education is funded, reported and measured. They might not have known it when they first suggested the plan. Some schools might choose to ignore the rules and enter you as a school candidate even though they have not taught you the course, but technically they shouldn't. All you/parents can do is meet with senior staff at the school and talk about whether they are willing to bend the rules for you.

No school is compelled to enter you for exams they have not prepared you for. I appreciate that taking your exams elsewhere might be a bit stressful, but there's plenty of time to sort it out before next summer. There will be lots of advice on your examiners web site. You will need to find a school, college or private centre that offers the exams you want and pay them the fee to enter you. As long as there are no practical or coursework elements and there are no schedule clashes it should be a painless process. If your mental health situation means you need/are entitled to any particular exam access arrangements, that would be something to sort out with the centre very early on. What are you planning to take? Which examiner?

The Examiner is OCR. Doing 2 A levels at school makes me a part time student. I have checked OCR rules and as far as I understand part time students can sit another exam at the same school. I will pay for it.
Are you aware of any rules preventing en exam centre to accept a student ?
Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
I am doing Classical Civilisation and Examiner is OCR. Doing 2 A levels at school makes me a part time student. I have checked OCR rules and as far as I understand part time students can sit another exam at the same school. I will pay for it.
Are you aware of any rules preventing en exam centre to accept a student ?
Thanks

yes, that's exactly what i said above, for a long time the rules have been......
You can't be entered as both a school candidate and as an external/private candidate in the same exam period at the same centre.
If you can link to the OCR information you have read I'll try understand what it says. Their main private candidate pages don't say explicitly that this is possible.
https://www.ocr.org.uk/students/private-candidates/
The exams officer at your school can check and confirm with OCR whether this rule still applies or whether it has been updated.

You could also contact OCR but make sure you clearly describe your exact situation or the advice you get may be inaccurate, ask them very explicitly if you can be entered as a school candidate AND as a private candidate at the same time.
Customer Support Centre on 01223 553998 or at [email protected].
(edited 1 year ago)

It's an exam board rule and the software is written so you can't select both internal and external against one person. There is nothing to stop the school entering you for the extra A level as an internal candidate - but the subject it is may mean they can't give the support expected to an internal candidate so they are not willing to do so. What is the subject?
Reply 14
Original post by gdunne42
yes, that's exactly what i said above, for a long time the rules have been......
You can't be entered as both a school candidate and as an external/private candidate in the same exam period at the same centre.
If you can link to the OCR information you have read I'll try understand what it says. Their main private candidate pages don't say explicitly that this is possible.
https://www.ocr.org.uk/students/private-candidates/
The exams officer at your school can check and confirm with OCR whether this rule still applies or whether it has been updated.

You could also contact OCR but make sure you clearly describe your exact situation or the advice you get may be inaccurate, ask them very explicitly if you can be entered as a school candidate AND as a private candidate at the same time.
Customer Support Centre on 01223 553998 or at [email protected].

You have been really helpful with your guidance, thanks a lot. In OCR website clearly fit in the definition of a part time student and part time students. I believe the rule we should look for or the school needs to prove is a rule which states that a part time student cannot sit in their school. I could not find anything like that and school doesn’t refer to a rule. They are just saying it may look like I studied the subjects at school.
I suspect the school is planning on keeping my third A level to the last minute and get the funding for it. So I won’t be a part time student when I made the application.

Original post by EBluebear
It's an exam board rule and the software is written so you can't select both internal and external against one person. There is nothing to stop the school entering you for the extra A level as an internal candidate - but the subject it is may mean they can't give the support expected to an internal candidate so they are not willing to do so. What is the subject?
You have been really helpful with your guidance, thanks a lot. In OCR website clearly fit in the definition of a part time student and part time students. I believe the rule we should look for or the school needs to prove is a rule which states that a part time student cannot sit in their school. I could not find anything like that and school doesn’t refer to a rule. They are just saying it may look like I studied the subjects at school.
I suspect the school is planning on keeping my third A level to the last minute and get the funding for it. So I won’t be a part time student when I made the application.

There is no requirement for schools to let their students sit additional exams the students want to take - they aren't funded to do it and it may require expertise they don't have (e.g. if there are any practicals or NEA involved - the subject you want to do may explain it all). I haven't looked at the funding or league table effects of them accepting you as a centre candidate for this recently but last time I looked there were none - but there may be some from dropping the other A level.
Reply 16
They have classics as an A Level subject at school. If they just let me do it as an internal student life would be easy for everyone. I have been asking changing biology with classics since the beginning of the second term but the school rules allow the students to change a subject until 30th of September. Can’t they make an exemption for once? Isn’t this the school’s decision to make? My parents are considering appealing the decision of not letting me change the subject especially as they leaded us in a different way at the beginning and now changing the direction. Do you think we have a chance ?
They have classics as an A Level subject at school. If they just let me do it as an internal student life would be easy for everyone. I have been asking changing biology with classics since the beginning of the second term but the school rules allow the students to change a subject until 30th of September. Can’t they make an exemption for once? Isn’t this the school’s decision to make? My parents are considering appealing the decision of not letting me change the subject especially as they leaded us in a different way at the beginning and now changing the direction. Do you think we have a chance ?

Classics is 100% exam and so easy to accommodate for the school - there would be no issues around accepting you to take the exams from a purely admin point of view. Very few sixth forms will let you change after the October half term because you have missed so much stuff. I can't make sense of why they would keep you on the register but let you stop going to Biology lessons or othr aspects of what you've said (Does Classic clash with something else you're already doing?) - you need to talk, with your parents, to your school about what's going on and what possible ways forward there are but they are under no obligation to let you sit exams with them unless you can prove they confirmed you could.
Reply 18
Classics doesn’t clash with anything and when I spoke the classics teacher they were happy to take me in. But the school didn’t let me do it since it would be unfair to other students who want to change after first half term. However they said I could sit the exam as an external student but now they changed their minds. You are saying schools don’t have to take any students, what is this based on? Education is part of public services and a state school which is also an exam centre should not be able to refuse a student. I am paying for it so not being funded can not be an excuse either.
Classics doesn’t clash with anything and when I spoke the classics teacher they were happy to take me in. But the school didn’t let me do it since it would be unfair to other students who want to change after first half term. However they said I could sit the exam as an external student but now they changed their minds. You are saying schools don’t have to take any students, what is this based on? Education is part of public services and a state school which is also an exam centre should not be able to refuse a student. I am paying for it so not being funded can not be an excuse either.

There several reasons why a school would not be able to accept students taking extra subjects - e.g. no expertise to supervise and mark the NEA, not registered with the relevant exam board etc - but in your case I agree it seems harsh from what you've said. That said, I know of lots of schools and colleges that wouldn't let someone do this, mainly because their students used to come to the centre where I worked to take the exams instead.

Quick Reply

Latest