The Student Room Group

Failed A2, Dont know what to do!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by study beats
? how can i be positive in such a disgusting and cruel situation.......i was positive 3 times for my results, but i always didnt get what i wanted....

revised for some exams, did past papers got 90 percent and 80 percent........get the result, it sayd 60 percent?? wtf??

life sucks so much :frown:

so what are u going to do now?

well there is only 1 thing i can do

i was always planning 2 take a gap year so my situation hasnt changed that much as in, if i had a uni place already obviously it would be a lot worse.

basically i am going to do what i was always going to do on my gap year but im gonna retake some units, my only worry is ucas and how uni's will look at my grades and resits.
Original post by boateng
I have just finished A2 and achieved CCD/ I am not in AS...I Wish!!!!!
I am on a gap year so going to have to teach myself

Also January modules are scrapped. Only June exams now////

sorry year I know you just finished A2 sorry about the January thing. But yeah everything I said still applies!!!

Let me clarify. If your AS and A2 modules both are 60 UMS then it would be easier to retake the AS module and get an A in it rather than to retake the A2 module.

Do you get what I mean?
Reply 22
Original post by shoppinglegends
sorry year I know you just finished A2 sorry about the January thing. But yeah everything I said still applies!!!

Let me clarify. If your AS and A2 modules both are 60 UMS then it would be easier to retake the AS module and get an A in it rather than to retake the A2 module.

Do you get what I mean?

yeah kinda.....isnt a2 worth more?
Reply 23

Do you get what I mean?

update im feeling a lil better and i shouldnt get so wrapped up on ucas.....

seeing all the law courses in clearing means that if i can get AAA next june, i stand a chance in getting into a really good uni through :eek:
Reply 24
Original post by boateng
thats what i am going to do, but can i still get offers from a prestigious uni when they see i have those terrible grades and people applying will have A's at AS etc....

Not really, I mean as harsh and shallow as it sounds, put yourself in the admissions boots, would you take on a student with low grades when they have more than enough A and B students. Not really. But sell yourself on your personal statement, and resit, and anything is possible :biggrin:
Original post by boateng
update im feeling a lil better and i shouldnt get so wrapped up on ucas.....

seeing all the law courses in clearing means that if i can get AAA next june, i stand a chance in getting into a really good uni through :eek:

no AS and A2 are all worth the same. A2 is only worth more if you're aiming for A*. But I would say in your case just aim for insanely high As.

If you retake and get your school to predict you AAA then you should be in for a really good chance. Also when you take your LNAT, if you get a good score that will help tremendously.
Reply 26
Original post by TheBigJosh
Not really, I mean as harsh and shallow as it sounds, put yourself in the admissions boots, would you take on a student with low grades when they have more than enough A and B students. Not really. But sell yourself on your personal statement, and resit, and anything is possible :biggrin:

i suppose and there is always clearing
Reply 27
no AS and A2 are all worth the same. A2 is only worth more if you're aiming for A*. But I would say in your case just aim for insanely high As.

If you retake and get your school to predict you AAA then you should be in for a really good chance. Also when you take your LNAT, if you get a good score that will help tremendously.

tbh the uni's i wanna go to dont want an lnat

southampton, surrey and SOAS are the ones im looking at....
Reply 28
Original post by boateng
i suppose and there is always clearing

exactly, best of luck :smile:
Original post by boateng
tbh the uni's i wanna go to dont want an lnat

southampton, surrey and SOAS are the ones im looking at....

oh ok then thats fine. so just concentrate on retaking your exams. A gap year will be nice! not only can you retake your exams and have a better chance at getting into those unis, you can also have a break and travel! (im just finishing my gap year!)

just make sure you're very sure on what you want to do so you don't regret anything!
Reply 30
oh ok then thats fine. so just concentrate on retaking your exams. A gap year will be nice! not only can you retake your exams and have a better chance at getting into those unis, you can also have a break and travel! (im just finishing my gap year!)

just make sure you're very sure on what you want to do so you don't regret anything!

oh what uni you off to? did you do any retakes
Reply 31
Original post by study beats
? how can i be positive in such a disgusting and cruel situation.......i was positive 3 times for my results, but i always didnt get what i wanted....

revised for some exams, did past papers got 90 percent and 80 percent........get the result, it sayd 60 percent?? wtf??

life sucks so much :frown:

so what are u going to do now?

i don't know about you but engineers don't quit :wink:

its not the end of the world just do a foundation year at a good institution you are very likely to be taken in by one and work your way up its just one extra year and definitely worth it when you start performing well. If you do not want to do the f.y. they are other ways you can either go to a lower ranked university do first year and transfer to better university. There are so many ways of achieving one goal so yess things affected our grades and life can be unfair at times but do not give up on what you want to do.

Keep working hard and eventually it will pay off. Some people blossom at A-levels and GCSES but do bad at university and some do bad in gcses and a-levels and end up being really good at university and are now working in top jobs.
Original post by boateng
What do you mean? If I resit some units during my gap year.. which is what i am going to do...i was wondering about how my ucas will look. Basically i have little chance of getting into a good uni because i am retaking units/

To get training contracts, law firms look at your ALs and degree result.

Often they want people who have 3 As.

You will be wasting your time (and money) going into university and doing law with those grades. As not only is it low for law, it is low for most graduate schemes.

Don't go to university for the sake of it.
Reply 33
Original post by fat_hobbit
To get training contracts, law firms look at your ALs and degree result.

Often they want people who have 3 As.

You will be wasting your time (and money) going into university and doing law with those grades. As not only is it low for law, it is low for most graduate schemes.

Don't go to university for the sake of it.

so retake or foget uni altogether is what you saying
Reply 34
Are your grades 60% consistently or is it messy? e.g 40 40 80 80 so you could resit two and get an A

or is is it 60 60 60 60 where you would have to resit all four?
Reply 35
If your GCSE's were stable (meaning at least B's) then retake the modules which you did the worst in. When you reapply next year (new cycle) then you can get your teachers to give you AAA prediction and smash the exams. Try grab some useful work experience while on your gap year to show the uni's you weren't just moping around and waiting to retake! :-)
Original post by boateng
so retake or foget uni altogether is what you saying

yes.

Just so you know, when you do apply to law firms, they also look at module marks at university.

Law is probably one of the HARDEST sectors to get into. It's too saturated - you do know that right?
Original post by boateng
well there is only 1 thing i can do

i was always planning 2 take a gap year so my situation hasnt changed that much as in, if i had a uni place already obviously it would be a lot worse.

basically i am going to do what i was always going to do on my gap year but im gonna retake some units, my only worry is ucas and how uni's will look at my grades and resits.

so ur taking gap year then?
Original post by a10
i don't know about you but engineers don't quit :wink:

its not the end of the world just do a foundation year at a good institution you are very likely to be taken in by one and work your way up its just one extra year and definitely worth it when you start performing well. If you do not want to do the f.y. they are other ways you can either go to a lower ranked university do first year and transfer to better university. There are so many ways of achieving one goal so yess things affected our grades and life can be unfair at times but do not give up on what you want to do.

Keep working hard and eventually it will pay off. Some people blossom at A-levels and GCSES but do bad at university and some do bad in gcses and a-levels and end up being really good at university and are now working in top jobs.

but wouldnt going to a lower ranked university affect the job i get etc.

i dont know man, life is so unfair :frown:.......i worked so hard and i didnt get what i wanted at all, i actually do feel like quitting ..

by the way how did ur results and everything go?
I'm in the same problem I wanted an A in English Lit, but I got a B. I'm going back to college in September. I will be studying law, sociology (fast track), English Language and business. How well is business looked at in Uni's? I know they like history and I like history, but my dad who has law friends say it's better to do business studies than history. I was thinking of doing family law in uni, that's why they recommended business studies, they said if your client was someone self employed and was going through a divorce with 9 kids, you would need to business studies to figure out all the financial things. But isn't family law going under because it is so expensive to get divorced these days, some people are just separating without a divorce. So would I need to take business? Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I've been worrying and stressing about this alot. The only solution I can think of is to do 5 a-levels, but that would be so hard.

Quick Reply

Latest