The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants for 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Superflibbit
Haha! I'm sure they will soon enough :smile: What have you applied for?

IR + French + Spanish! I really hope they do, St Andrews is definitely my first choice! Which subject(s) will you be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Well that was weird! Checked my junk mail to find I had received an e-mail from St Andrews on the 17th congratulating me on being offered a place. I was a bit suspicious as I hadn't received a UCAS Track update notification, so I logged and it turns out I did get an offer on the 16th! Very nice surprise :smile:

Hope you guys all find out soon!

Wow.

Seriously, congratulations!

Hopefully more will start to leak out as the weeks progress...
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
Wow.

Seriously, congratulations!

Hopefully more will start to leak out as the weeks progress...

Thank you!

Yeah I think they probably will, maybe they're trying to be earlier in giving out offers this year...
Thank you!

Yeah I think they probably will, maybe they're trying to be earlier in giving out offers this year...

No problem. :wink:

They probably had quite a few complaints about the speed of replies last year, given that the majority seemed to have been sent out during the very last week of March.

Which subject did you apply for?
Original post by kerrydouglas
I'm applying for psychology /D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I am applying for psychology as well. Haven´t heared anything by now?
What about you?

Good luck :smile:
Original post by LolaXX
IR + French + Spanish! I really hope they do, St Andrews is definitely my first choice! Which subject(s) will you be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooops, sorry, didn't see you had replied!

Wow, that's quite a challenge! I've applied for Physics (MPhys) :smile:

Are you fluent in Spanish and French then?

No problem. :wink:

They probably had quite a few complaints about the speed of replies last year, given that the majority seemed to have been sent out during the very last week of March.

Which subject did you apply for?

Yeah, exactly! I don't see why they would need to wait til the end of March really.

I've applied for Physics (MPhys), yourself?

Yeah, exactly! I don't see why they would need to wait til the end of March really.

I think it might maybe actually take that long to go through all the applications and personal statements. Honestly, when I think of how long it sometimes takes me to figure out what kind of chocolate I want, I pay respects to them that they figure out who they want to take as a student and who they don't. but that doesn't mean I'm not getting anxious and I really want my offer like NOW. I just think it's a complicated process given that they have to give everybody the same chance.

I've applied for Physics (MPhys), yourself?

They just want to psychologically torture us. :tongue:

Philosophy.

Hopefully there'll be some positive news arriving soon...
Original post by pumpkinchocolate
I think it might maybe actually take that long to go through all the applications and personal statements. Honestly, when I think of how long it sometimes takes me to figure out what kind of chocolate I want, I pay respects to them that they figure out who they want to take as a student and who they don't. but that doesn't mean I'm not getting anxious and I really want my offer like NOW. I just think it's a complicated process given that they have to give everybody the same chance.

Of course, it COULD take that long to go through them all, but other institutions manage to do it in much less time. I guess they have their process and some part of it obviously takes a long time.

They just want to psychologically torture us. :tongue:

Philosophy.

Hopefully there'll be some positive news arriving soon...

Haha!

Ahh okay, that's pretty cool. :smile:

Fingers crossed!

Yep, this is definitely part of it! Each school has one (maybe two) admissions officer who has to read through all the applications and personal statements, and they can only start going through the majority of them after the 15th Jan.

Of course, it COULD take that long to go through them all, but other institutions manage to do it in much less time. I guess they have their process and some part of it obviously takes a long time.

Other (larger) universities just filter the applications by (predicted) grades, and offers are automatically given to students who have above a certain threshold, so an actual person only has to read through a smaller number of applications.
Original post by la_banane_verte
Yep, this is definitely part of it! Each school has one (maybe two) admissions officer who has to read through all the applications and personal statements, and they can only start going through the majority of them after the 15th Jan.

Other (larger) universities just filter the applications by (predicted) grades, and offers are automatically given to students who have above a certain threshold, so an actual person only has to read through a smaller number of applications.

Fair enough!

Haha!

Ahh okay, that's pretty cool. :smile:

Fingers crossed!

Right back at you. :wink:

Indeed!
Reply 592
Some information on the application process taken from the CS website although probably relevant to other departments...

'The admissions tutors meet every few weeks in the application period (september to january) to look over and discuss the latest applications as they receive them.'

This indicates that some decisions may in fact be made or 'piles' organised so that when the application deadline arrives admissions tutors have a rough idea on the applicants and therefore the process is speeded up slightly.

That being said, however, it does still take until Feb/March/April until many offers are sent out which more than anything demonstrates the quantity and quality of candidates overall. Hope this is useful. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
I just knew when I got the Mail that you posted something on here, that you were German. Well, not too hard to figure out considering your (very creative^^) name. What are you applying for? To be honest I hope there's not too much Germans at the Uni that I end up going to. But I sure hope that there are lots of Internationals. :smile:

hahaha oops i forgot about my TSR name. :colondollar:
I applied for IR, you too? It's definitely the most popular course.

As for me, I won't mind Germans, seeing as I'm more of an international student despite being German. It's sort of the opposite: Since I've attended an American school for a long time, the St Andrews reputation of having a lot of Americans puts me off... I need a change. :tongue:

Original post by Nya28
Yet another German... ;P but I'm doing the IB program and not the Abitur.
I sent my application in mid December, for At. Andrews: Sustainable Development BSc, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Exeter.
Got a conditional from Exeter (: but still waiting for the others to reply. During this summer I went to visit all the Uni's since I had never been to Scotland before and they all seemed great! Would be happy to go to any of them, although my first choice is St. Andrews, mainly due to the very specific sustainable development course they offer.

Anyone else here that applied for Sustainable Development BSc?

Me too! IB program! Are you at an international school in Germany or abroad?
And congratulations on your offer for Exeter by the way.:biggrin:
I really like the courses in StA's. They're so flexible.
Reply 594

I thought that your chocolate analogy was hilarious, given your username. :clap2:
Reply 595
Unconditional offer ! :biggrin: Ucas track updated at 16:03.

Subject: Computer Science
Standard Grades: 8 1's
Highers: AAAAA
Application Date: 11 Oct 2013
Fee Status: Scottish/no fees

wooo! Makes up for the disappointment of Cambridge rejection...

Hopefully the waiting is over soon for you guys :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 596
Cheeky Unconditional offer for Ancient History and Archaeology :biggrin:

RUK student,
A-Levels: English A, Law A, Classics B (AS:Psychology B, Critical Thinking C)

*currently dancing around the computer*
Reply 597
Original post by zettel
Me too! IB program! Are you at an international school in Germany or abroad?
And congratulations on your offer for Exeter by the way.:biggrin:
I really like the courses in StA's. They're so flexible.

I'm in Paris, at Ermitage International School, but have moved around quite a bit, so similarly to you, I wouldn't mind a few Germans at St. Andrews (: Are you at an IB school in Germany?
I know, the courses all sound great :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Graziana
Cheeky Unconditional offer for Ancient History and Archaeology :biggrin:

RUK student,
A-Levels: English A, Law A, Classics B (AS:Psychology B, Critical Thinking C)

*currently dancing around the computer*

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Looks like the humanities offers are beginning to creep out!
Hopefully more will follow...
Reply 599
Unconditional for Astrophysics :')! Email today at 14:45. Good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending