The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants for 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
[QUOTE="knope;46715057"]
Original post by Yezi_L

Ouch, that's unfortunate! Hope it wasn't too much.

Indeed, it was way higher than the Ucas application fee :/ Apparently because we have a UK careers advisor...
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1381
Original post by alexnussle
Yes but you see most eu applicants don't actually send out applications to their home universities, they only count on the applications they sent in the uk. So it is risky for us as we're not counting on our home unis. Personally I only sent one application to a Scottish uni and I already have 3 offers from very good universities in England so if I don't get in sa it's not the end of the World, but I know that for some people, in my school for example, they would be in a very awkward situation.

Okay, but I think it's safe to assume that EU students as a whole are less constrained by the 5 UCAS choices than RUK applicants so are more likely to make optimistic applications, and particularly optimistic Scottish applications because of the finance side. As St Andrews falls into the category of both an optimistic application (for most, if not all) and a Scottish uni it is likely to attract the bulk of such applications.
Reply 1382
Original post by Yezi_L

Indeed, it was way higher than the Ucas application fee :/ Apparently because we have a UK careers advisor...

Do you go to an international school?
Any offers for IR and anthropology?
Original post by knope
Okay, but I think it's safe to assume that EU students as a whole are less constrained by the 5 UCAS choices than RUK applicants so are more likely to make optimistic applications, and particularly optimistic Scottish applications because of the finance side. As St Andrews falls into the category of both an optimistic application (for most, if not all) and a Scottish uni it is likely to attract the bulk of such applications.

Yes that's probably true. I think that at least in my school most students apply for example in the uk, scotland or wherever and don't send applications to home unis. However it might not be the case for every EU applicant, and doubt it is :rolleyes:
Reply 1385
Yes that's probably true. I think that at least in my school most students apply for example in the uk, scotland or wherever and don't send applications to home unis. However it might not be the case for every EU applicant, and doubt it is :rolleyes:

That's interesting, are they particularly put off by the education system where you are or is it more about the international rep/quality of places overseas?
Original post by knope
That's interesting, are they particularly put off by the education system where you are or is it more about the international rep/quality of places overseas?

well I go to an international school so people tend to be encouraged to go elsewhere, and especially in the uk the us and canada. A lot of people stay at home, but many leave. And yes there is definitely some resentment to stay.
Reply 1387
I just want to add that although I'm an EU applicant, SA were reasonably fast with their offer which by far is the lowest I have received. I contribute this to course I applied for which may be less competitive than others. Anyways, I'm happy with my offer and will probably firm SA. Just out of curiosity, why is IR so popular with EU and international students ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1388
well I go to an international school so people tend to be encouraged to go elsewhere, and especially in the uk the us and canada. A lot of people stay at home, but many leave. And yes there is definitely some resentment to stay.

Ah, okay, I suppose international schools can be expected to breed such an international outlook. :tongue: Most people at my school are reluctant to go more than about an hour and a half away, so it's all a bit new to me.

Anyway, good luck in your applications!
Original post by knope
Ah, okay, I suppose international schools can be expected to breed such an international outlook. :tongue: Most people at my school are reluctant to go more than about an hour and a half away, so it's all a bit new to me.

Anyway, good luck in your applications!

Thank you!! you too and may the odds be ever in your favour! :biggrin:
Original post by rivalx
I just want to add that although I'm an EU applicant, SA were reasonably fast with their offer which by far is the lowest I have received. I contribute this to course I applied for which may be less competitive than others. Anyways, I'm happy with my offer and will probably firm SA. Just out of curiosity, why is IR so popular with EU and international students ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did you apply for?
Reply 1391
Thank you!! you too and may the odds be ever in your favour! :biggrin:

Haha, always good to see a fellow Hunger Games fan. If there others, we can form a society or something at SA :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1392
what did you apply for?

I have applied for Biochemistry and I haven't seen anyone else apply for this course here in the forum, Hope I'm not alone :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1393
I'm applying for History. And if it's useful I already have offers from Warwick, KCL and York.

I don`t know much about the course, but these are all very good universities :smile:
Is St A your first choice?

It`s very similar in my school, I personally didn`t apply to any "home" unis, just like many classmates of mine. Also, many of those who will apply to home unis didn`t apply for the UK.

Original post by knope
Do you go to an international school?

Not really, it`s an European school. We don`t do the IB.
Reply 1394
Original post by rivalx
I have applied for Biochemistry and I haven't seen anyone else apply for this course here in the forum, Hope I'm not alone :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would expect this to be one of the competitive courses, but maybe I`m wrong. Where else did you apply to?
Original post by Yezi_L
I don`t know much about the course, but these are all very good universities :smile:
Is St A your first choice?

Well lse used to be my first choice but i got rejected :tongue: so now sa is my first choice and i actually really want to receive an offer cos it looks way better than lse! Is sa your first choice?
Reply 1396
Original post by Yezi_L
I would expect this to be one of the competitive courses, but maybe I`m wrong. Where else did you apply to?

I have also applied to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bath. Still waiting on Bath but their decision is not so important as I'd rather go to SA than Bath. :biggrin:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Unconditional for German and Modern History!! :biggrin: I'm sooo chuffed. :awesome:

Original post by Zarabee
Unconditional for German and Modern History too! :biggrin:

Congratulations! An excellent choice of subjects by the way :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1398
Well lse used to be my first choice but i got rejected :tongue: so now sa is my first choice and i actually really want to receive an offer cos it looks way better than lse! Is sa your first choice?

I haven`t been to St A yet but already heard wonderful things about it. Quite looking forward to the open day in April, but pretty sure I`ll be firming St A before Durham, mainly because of the fees :tongue:

Original post by rivalx
I have also applied to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bath. Still waiting on Bath but their decision is not so important as I'd rather go to SA than Bath. :biggrin:

Good choice :tongue: Was the Edinburgh offer higher than St A?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1399
Original post by Yezi_L

Good choice :tongue: Was the Edinburgh offer higher than St A?

Never got know. I was rejected :biggrin:
Biological sciences at Edinburgh are quite competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending