The Student Room Group

Which is more important: University or city?

I've been accepted to great unis that are in cities I dislike: Nottingham and Leeds. I absolutely love Kent and actually Birmingham (Aston) as well, but they're lower league-table wise (not part of the Russel-Group unis) and not really respected. I want to work for the Civil Service and despite them promoting diversity ALL examples of current officers (I've read cases of at least 30) come from top 20 unis. OK, so not all necessarily Eton/Oxbridge, but not Kent/Aston.

My dilemma is (and I guess I'm throwing it out there in case anyone has dealt with something similar), do I spend 4 years in a city I'm not crazy about to better my future?

Or would I be better in a uni where I think I'll be happier and ensure that I get a few leadership/extra-curricular activities in?

I'm from Chester and I like going out to bigger cities Liverpool/Manchester for nights out once every couple of months, but Leeds and Nottingham are a lot rougher than these from what I've heard and would not enjoy that constantly. I'm not a massive drinker/clubber.

I've only heard about these unis that they're party unis - but they both require very high entrance grades for my course so they have to require some focus/commitment.

Another concern of mine is that it may be tougher to acquire leadership positions at these larger institutions - has that been an issue for anyone?
Reply 1
Original post by J_89
I've been accepted to great unis that are in cities I dislike: Nottingham and Leeds. I absolutely love Kent and actually Birmingham (Aston) as well, but they're lower league-table wise (not part of the Russel-Group unis) and not really respected. I want to work for the Civil Service and despite them promoting diversity ALL examples of current officers (I've read cases of at least 30) come from top 20 unis. OK, so not all necessarily Eton/Oxbridge, but not Kent/Aston.

My dilemma is (and I guess I'm throwing it out there in case anyone has dealt with something similar), do I spend 4 years in a city I'm not crazy about to better my future?

Or would I be better in a uni where I think I'll be happier and ensure that I get a few leadership/extra-curricular activities in?

I'm from Chester and I like going out to bigger cities Liverpool/Manchester for nights out once every couple of months, but Leeds and Nottingham are a lot rougher than these from what I've heard and would not enjoy that constantly. I'm not a massive drinker/clubber.

I've only heard about these unis that they're party unis - but they both require very high entrance grades for my course so they have to require some focus/commitment.

Another concern of mine is that it may be tougher to acquire leadership positions at these larger institutions - has that been an issue for anyone?

I'm from near to Chester as it happens (Neston if you know it?). Anyway, both my brother and sister went to Leeds. It is perhaps worth mentioning that my sister is the wetting human to have ever graced this Earth, yet she still felt pretty safe in Leeds. As did my brother for that matter.

The son of a friend was attacks and hospitalised on the walls of Chester on 2 separate occasions. Once being stabbed repeatedly. The point is that sort of thing can happen anywhere, Leeds is no more dangerous that any other city.

The infamous Nottingham gun crime statistic is also heavily influenced by the boundaries of the city not including many of the nicer suburbs which is the case in London or Manchester. Honestly, I wouldn't let city hold you back too much.
Reply 2
Sorry but I'm just confused after reading that, are you saying that you want to go to Leeds or Nottingham Uni but you prefer Birmingham or Kent as cities?

If so then don't be put off by stupid rumours, every place has crime. You're better off going to Leeds or Nottingham because as you said they are much more respected than the other two and they are great locations for the social side of things. Although I have to point out that these days a lot of employers don't even ask what Uni you studied at.
Course.

Always go for the course that you will enjoy the most. Its what you study every day for four years that will keep you energized and engaged, not the city the Uni is in. After that look at the Uni. Not meaningless stuff like 'reputation' or League Tables, but what the Uni is like, the Dept and the teaching staff. Go to Open Days - which Uni feels the 'right'?

The Uni will be the focus of your degree - not the shopping centre or the local nightlife. If you choose your course based on this and not the course itself, you are likely to be hugely disappointed with your Uni experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending