The Student Room Group

Eminem is overrated

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RossClements
Totally agree, he can rap no doubt and has good flow, but he's written a lot of really awful stuff too. People seem to think he's the only white rapper when there's lots of decent white rappers I. Us hip hop asher Roth, Mac miller, action Bronson to name a few.
There's lots on the uk hip hop scene but its not as estabilished.

Don't forget Aesop Rock and El-P :cool:.
Reply 81
OH when peoople diss eminem P***** me off look where he is and you haters are LOOL
I just don't see how Kanye is better than him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Agreed!

Frankly I think Eminem is the best rapper alive! Other than that it goes to Tupac and Biggie IMO.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Don't forget Aesop Rock and El-P :cool:.

Completely forgot about Aesop rock he's so good though, I reckon if I played someone his music they'd think he's black! Never listened to EL-P
Best rapper in the world is T.I

I'm basing that on a lot of things, not just record sales.
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
I really hope by OF you don't mean odd future... Big L has the best flow granted (apart from maybe Andre 3000) but Eminem beats him in every other way. Kanye, just no, look at Yeezus. Wu Tang? They've died out as much as I like them (36 chambers is in my top 5 albums). Biggie is overrated, he is good but no way is he the king of rap. Nas is good but even he has declined over the years. Although the illmatic is probably my best album of all time. But the thing about Eminem is his diversity, he has rock music, rap music, emo music, loads of different music and that's something I've noticed many other rappers try and copy (look at Yeezus). Eminem is the best of all time, if you don't like it just gtfo lol. Not to mention his freestyling skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is Biggie overrated?
Original post by shyamshah
How is Biggie overrated?

Because he was all style no substance and he died young, he was just an admittedly great spitter with a Mafioso gangster gimmick. I could type for days regarding this but the crux to it is that his and Pac's deaths have magnified their talents as rappers.

I'd take Big L over Biggie all day and Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous is better than anything Biggie did, in fact I would say it blows everything Biggie did out of the water.

L had superior lyricism, flow, was funnier to listen to and made better music, spat over better beats...

Biggie was more successful commercially as he had Puff Daddy bankrolling him. He also depended on pointless skits and interludes to pad his albums out with filler and depended on his feud with Pac to immortalise him.
Because he was all style no substance and he died young, he was just an admittedly great spitter with a Mafioso gangster gimmick. I could type for days regarding this but the crux to it is that his and Pac's deaths have magnified their talents as rappers.

I'd take Big L over Biggie all day and Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous is better than anything Biggie did, in fact I would say it blows everything Biggie did out of the water.

L had superior lyricism, flow, was funnier to listen to and made better music, spat over better beats...

Biggie was more successful commercially as he had Puff Daddy bankrolling him. He also depended on pointless skits and interludes to pad his albums out with filler and depended on his feud with Pac to immortalise him.

Do you regard Tupac as overrated too? I would still regard biggie as one of the best ever, maybe he was seen as better than he was but you can't say that his flow ain't good and his albums are good. Big L deffo is underrated and for some reason a lot of people don't regard him as one of the best. They both died way too early though.
Do you regard Tupac as overrated too?

Yes but he is still one of the greats I think. Pac was brilliant. As a rapper, in terms of skill though, he was average to slightly above average but he made good music. The fact he wrote poetry came across in his lyrics, take something like Dear Mama, Brenda's Got A Baby, Trapped, Do 4 Love or Can U Get Away, Biggie could never write anything as heartfelt and emotive as any of those. He could spit bitter, granted, but that's not everything (you're probably guessed I rate Pac higher than Biggie.) Pac's got one of the strongest discographies in Hip-Hop, too.

Shock G (I know he was one of Pac's boys but what he's saying is right) explained it quite well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUo2hzc0vG8

I would still regard biggie as one of the best ever, maybe he was seen as better than he was but you can't say that his flow ain't good and his albums are good. Big L deffo is underrated and for some reason a lot of people don't regard him as one of the best. They both died way too early though.

It's because L didn't even have a sniff of mainstream success so a lot of people won't be as familiar with him, the closest he got was the track Put It On imo. I do think Biggie was good, this isn't me criticising him for the sake of it, I just think the East/West thing and the murders has made people look back at Biggie (and Pac) a little more fondly than is perhaps justified.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes but he is still one of the greats I think. Pac was brilliant. As a rapper, in terms of skill though, he was average to slightly above average but he made good music. The fact he wrote poetry came across in his lyrics, take something like Dear Mama, Brenda's Got A Baby, Trapped, Do 4 Love or Can U Get Away, Biggie could never write anything as heartfelt and emotive as any of those. He could spit bitter, granted, but that's not everything (you're probably guessed I rate Pac higher than Biggie.) Pac's got one of the strongest discographies in Hip-Hop, too.

Shock G (I know he was one of Pac's boys but what he's saying is right) explained it quite well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUo2hzc0vG8

It's because L didn't even have a sniff of mainstream success so a lot of people won't be as familiar with him, the closest he got was the track Put It On imo. I do think Biggie was good, this isn't me criticising him for the sake of it, I just think the East/West thing and the murders has made people look back at Biggie (and Pac) a little more fondly than is perhaps justified.

I am also a bigger Tupac fan, I just love all of his music and his message. Yeah, they are different types of rappers though. I agree totally with what you said about Tupac bein overrated from his skills as a rapper but he still made good music and made people listen and observe what he was saying.

I don't listen to Big L that much and don't know that much about him so will try and listen to more of him.
Actually, I don't really care if people say he is overrated because look at him. I don't think he gives a sh*t what anyone thinks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucine.B
Agreed!

Frankly I think Eminem is the best rapper alive! Other than that it goes to Tupac and Biggie IMO.

That is a full blown exaggeration!
Each to their own opinion and all, but come on!

"The best rapper alive" :rofl:
Do not misunderstand me he is a great rapper, but statements like the one you just made gain Eminem the title of being "overrated".

However, I do agree that the rappers out today are (intentionally) rubbish. So, when a decent rapper comes around everybody gets excited and blows things out of proportion, because what is left to compare them with stands no real ground.

On a side note people need to stop mixing hip-hop with rap, they are not one of the same thing. Rap is part of the hip-hop culture, but rap does not make hip-hop.

Most mainstream so-called hip-hop is actually hip-pop really, although, the beats are good and all not much substances lyrically, pretty much whack!

Nonetheless, Eminem is a good rapper and has some great tracks in the past and albums. And no one can take that from him.
Is he at his best now? Probably not, but the crowd of rappers around him are pretty much ****! So, it works to his favour I guess......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tried to watch him at Leeds Fest. One song between Jake Bugg and Alt-J's acts (I think its called "Kill You") - Really disappointed considering the hype he'd got. Choosing Alt-J over him was the best decision I made all weekend.
I don't listen to Big L that much and don't know that much about him so will try and listen to more of him.

:cool:

L was a genius. Definitely get Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous. Every track is a banger, it's worth it just for his verse on Da Graveyard and Street Struck. The Archives is good too though not a studio album, the singles Ebonics/Size 'Em Up as well.
Reply 95
Original post by hannah60000
That is a full blown exaggeration!
Each to their own opinion and all, but come on!

"The best rapper alive" :rofl:
Do not misunderstand me he is a great rapper, but statements like the one you just made gain Eminem the title of being "overrated".

However, I do agree that the rappers out today are (intentionally) rubbish. So, when a decent rapper comes around everybody gets excited and blows things out of proportion, because what is left to compare them with stands no real ground.

On a side note people need to stop mixing hip-hop with rap, they are not one of the same thing. Rap is part of the hip-hop culture, but rap does not make hip-hop.

Most mainstream so-called hip-hop is actually hip-pop really, although, the beats are good and all not much substances lyrically, pretty much whack!

Nonetheless, Eminem is a good rapper and has some great tracks in the past and albums. And no one can take that from him.
Is he at his best now? Probably not, but the crowd of rappers around him are pretty much ****! So, it works to his favour I guess......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said its all IMO.

He is one of the best rappers alive though. Maybe what I meant to say was that he is my favourite rapper alive! but you really cannot deny his talent. I'm probably just biased because I absolutely love everything he does, his music is incredible. Eminem's lyrics are just...I'm not sure there are words to describe them. To me he is just that amazing.
I guess he is up there in the top though, he may no longer be as highly regarded as others but I still think he's great! My opinion.
Reply 96
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Actually, I don't really care if people say he is overrated because look at him. I don't think he gives a sh*t what anyone thinks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So true!
Reply 97
i love tyga, drake, nas, Kendrick and nicki and a lot of eminems stuff. don't get the hype over 2 chains.
:cool:

L was a genius. Definitely get Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous. Every track is a banger, it's worth it just for his verse on Da Graveyard and Street Struck. The Archives is good too though not a studio album, the singles Ebonics/Size 'Em Up as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely check them out. :smile:
WTF is everyone calling him 'hip-hop' for? He's clearly rap...

Quick Reply

Latest