The Student Room Group

Scottish Student applying for Oxford

Basically, I'm really confused at the moment!
I am planning to study Mathematics at University, but I'm really confused as to where I would like to. I spent a week at Oxford University in the summer and loved it. However, both St Andrews and Edinburgh offer fantastic Maths courses, and I wouldn't have to pay tuition fees there. I'm looking into a career as an Actuary/Investment Banker. I'm really worried about the prospect of being in thousands of pounds worth of debt, which would result from studying at an English Uni (if I was to get into Oxford!). Additionally, I'm worried about the MAT as it is very different to anything I've studied, as a lot of the syllabus isn't covered in Scottish Highers.
Does anyone have any advice? Basically, those who have studied at Oxford, would you say it has been worth it? And to those who are studying at St Andrews/Edinburgh, what are your thoughts? Thank you!
-With student loans, you don't start paying them back until you're earning £21,000 or more, the repayments are small, and after a certain amount of time (20 years or so? Does anyone know?) the rest gets written off.

-Lots of Scottish people get into Oxford each year, they'll take into account that your syllabus doesn't cover some of the MAT - just revise and teach yourself what you can.

-All three unis are fantastic unis - I don't know about the maths reputation for Edinburgh and St Andrews but I know they're brilliant places to be. But go wherever you'll be happy - if you don't go to Oxford or don't apply solely because of the student loans, you'll regret it.
Reply 2
First of all, as you are a Scottish student, you'll be paying loans back as soon as you earn £15795. £21000 figure is for English students.

If you are applying to start in 2014, I don't see the harm in applying to all three universities, like I did (for Biology though). You'll spend a few days in a college in Oxford for your interview if you are shortlisted so it's another opportunity to explore the uni as well as the place. During your interview or between interviews you can ask questions and meet tutors/current students, which always helps when you are deciding a course. And that'll be in October, so you can add your choices for Edinburgh and St Andrews after you go the interviews on UCAS, before the January deadline.

Although Higher Maths won't cover a lot, surely Advanced Higher Maths will help? I found AH Maths interesting ^^

I'm sorry I won't be able to tell you much more than this as Maths isn't my subject, but I am a Scottish student starting in Oxford this October so pm me with any questions and I'll try my best to answer them!
Reply 3
Ok just calm down and hear my experience. I got both offers from edinburgh and st. Andrews and i know they both are fantastic. I would say doing mathematics at oxford would be beneficial if you count reputation etc . Though you will not pay at scotland, remember scottish unis have limited quotas for its nationals so i bet the competition would be intense as well 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending