The Student Room Group

Do you have any allergies ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by beffnee
You can get tested on the NHS, but I would assume that is only if you have had reactions in the past, in order to establish firmly what related foods or things you can't eat. In the first instance, they do it with a blood test which only tests for a handful of common allergies e.g. milk, peanut etc. If those are not conclusive (or, in my case, aren't testing for ANY of the things you know you are allergic to), you can be referred to the hospital for skin-prick tests where they will test you against a whole load of different allergens! But I don't think you could have that done for free just because you want to know what you are allergic to.

I wouldn't mind paying as long as it wouldn't be very expensive :erm: I've only noticed that in spring time I used to sneeze more often and usually would have itchy and a bit red eyes :K:
Original post by aspiringwhatever
How did they find that out without vaccinating you ?

They did vaccinate me. :tongue: I was like 6 months old and apparently I had a really bad reaction and went unconscious? :confused: that's what my mum says. She never went into anymore detail about what happened.
Original post by ForgetMe
I wouldn't mind paying as long as it wouldn't be very expensive :erm: I've only noticed that in spring time I used to sneeze more often and usually would have itchy and a bit red eyes :K:

Chances are you just have hayfever, so a pollen allergy. Can be grass or tree pollen. Not worth getting tested for if that's the only thing you've had problems with. Most people just manage their symptoms of hayfever with allergy tablets. You could probably get tested privately, but I imagine it would be quite expensive given that you just want to know out of curiosity rather than necessity.

Personally, I try to avoid taking tablets for my hayfever (tree pollen) and just deal with it on the not-so-bad days, because the tablets I take are the same tablets as I would take for a minor food reaction, and I would rather not already have it in my system if I were to then actually need it! I can only take one type of allergy tablet too, because something in the more common/cheaper tablets gives me the shakes and makes me really drowsy and not very responsive, so I'd always rather try to keep myself clear unless I really need it!

Edit: If you are still interested in getting tested regardless, the NHS has some more information that you might find useful: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Allergies/Pages/Whichallergytest.aspx
(edited 10 years ago)
i think i have hayfever or a dust allergy but i haven't been properly diagnosed - i still take anti-histamines because they seem to work fine

i'm also allergic to make up/face paint on my face (i get bad rashes)
Reply 44
Original post by beffnee
Chances are you just have hayfever, so a pollen allergy. Can be grass or tree pollen. Not worth getting tested for if that's the only thing you've had problems with. Most people just manage their symptoms of hayfever with allergy tablets. You could probably get tested privately, but I imagine it would be quite expensive given that you just want to know out of curiosity rather than necessity.

Personally, I try to avoid taking tablets for my hayfever (tree pollen) and just deal with it on the not-so-bad days, because the tablets I take are the same tablets as I would take for a minor food reaction, and I would rather not already have it in my system if I were to then actually need it! I can only take one type of allergy tablet too, because something in the more common/cheaper tablets gives me the shakes and makes me really drowsy and not very responsive, so I'd always rather try to keep myself clear unless I really need it!

Edit: If you are still interested in getting tested regardless, the NHS has some more information that you might find useful: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Allergies/Pages/Whichallergytest.aspx

I'm allergic to quite a lot. Sometimes feels like the entire world, so far the list is
Milk (any animal), eggs, nuts, peanuts, peas, beans, lentils, oranges, kiwi, seafood, salmon, dust, pollen, animal hair, pva glue, ALCOHOL, penicillin, pork and now have a suspected wheat allergy :/
Having allergies suck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm allergic to apples, pears, melon, nectarines, peaches, pineapples, the case of sugar snap peas (but i have never had a problem with actual peas!), Penicillin and a few other antibiotics, cats, horses, feathers, something that is in coloured pasta (green/red), peanuts, brazil nuts, dust, pollen and a slight intolerance to alcohol! Plasters, i have eczema but I'm allergic to the hypoallergenic creams like aveeno! hmm great fun making sure food doesnt contain any of that stuff! :smile:
Reply 47
I'm somewhat allergic to cat and dog hair (convenient, I'm currently living with two dogs and three cats, one of which sleeps in my bed) - I take antihistamines, but I'm also on steroids for my SLE and I think they're what keep me from having a bad reaction. I'm very mildly allergic to pollen but that only affects me when I go home (surrounded by fields) - living in town it doesn't bother me at all.

No food allergies, mildly intolerant of lettuce, every now and again I eat a bit out of politeness (and embarrassment at being The Fat Girl Who Won't Eat Salad) and remember how rotten it makes me feel.
Avocado allergy manifests either as a reaction similar to tree pollen allergy or latex allergy. Symptoms may be mild to severe and depending on your reactions. I know someone who is allergic to avocados too which she feels unfortunate as sometimes she crave for cold avocado with milk and sugar. She did research some cure online and found a naturophatic treatment. Which I find more healthy as the process for healing were natural remedies as well. :smile:
Lactose gluten tomatoes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Izzyeviel
Horses.

I suspect I'm also allergic to other all animal fur, grass, life, & greasy foods.

Can you develop allergy's at any time in your life?

Yeah you can develop an allergy at anytime you can be able to eat nuts then two years down the line your body thinks it's a harmful substance.
I have hay fever and I am allergic to some types of face paint, most probably some chemical in the ingredients I don't want to see what it is as it is so itchy and sore when I have a reaction.

Quick Reply

Latest